Johnny Marr - Leeds gig, 20th Sept

How on earth can you know that? I was 6ft away from him and he didn't sound auto-tuned - you can hear really clearly where he's struggling, occasionally sings flat, sometimes runs out of breath, etc. For example in HSIN?, the "I am the son and the heir of a shyness.." section is far, far too low for his register but from "you shut your mouth..." he sounds more comfortable. Can you explain how you recognise auto-tune and where it's used here?

Think Mozmar was joking (?)

But would be great if Marr reimagined The Smiths songs as instrumentals with new arrangements as an album.

Or if he did get a vocalist, only Patti Smith would do it justice.
Then again, how about Iggy doing Hand in Glove !

:lbf:

what the poster is saying is that auto tuned :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft:

sucky caterwauling is no different than his non tuned caterwauling:lbf:
'hey flatheads, it will be worth the wait':crazy:
must be on the firewater:lbf:

:hammer:

Pope of woke

Setlist below. I'm guessing at least some of the 'live debut' songs were off the new album.
Bit of a dream setlist with 7 Smiths, 2 big Electronic singles, solo highlights and a bunch of new songs.
What did you think of the new ones Amy?
Did any stand out at all or just more of the usual mid-pace monotonous indie filler?
www.nme.com/news/music/johnny-marr-debuts-new-material-the-smiths-intimate-uk-tour-setlist-video-3051052
‘Hideaway Girl’
‘Panic’
‘Spirit Power and Soul’ (Live debut)
‘Tenet Time’ (Live debut)
‘New Town Velocity’
‘Rubicon’ (Live debut)
‘Night and Day’ (Live debut)
‘Get the Message’
‘Getting Away With It’
‘The Headmaster Ritual’
‘Sensory Street’ (Live debut)
‘This Charming Man’
‘Walk Into the Sea’
‘Hi Hello’
‘How Soon Is Now?’
‘Armatopia’
‘There Is a Light That Never Goes Out’
‘Easy Money’
Encore:
‘Counter Clock’ (Live debut)
‘Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others’

‘Bigmouth Strikes Again’

Last edited:
🍅

I see he has a new shirt.:rolleyes:
what kind of shirt is that? a Shiva shirt?:thumbsdown:
will he be wearing it every day now?:hammer:

Setlist below. I'm guessing at least some of the 'live debut' songs were off the new album.
Bit of a dream setlist with 7 Smiths, 2 big Electronic singles, solo highlights and a bunch of new songs.
Did any stand out at all or just more of the usual mid-pace monotonous indie filler?
www.nme.com/news/music/johnny-marr-debuts-new-material-the-smiths-intimate-uk-tour-setlist-video-3051052
‘Hideaway Girl’
‘Panic’
‘New Town Velocity’
‘Rubicon’ (Live debut)
‘Get the Message’
‘Getting Away With It’
‘The Headmaster Ritual’
‘This Charming Man’
‘Walk Into the Sea’
‘Hi Hello’
‘How Soon Is Now?’
‘Armatopia’
‘Easy Money’
Encore:
‘Bigmouth Strikes Again’

Maybe it's a bit early to say but the new stuff didn't make much of an impression on me. I can vaguely remember "Tenet Time" and "Sensory Street" because the titles were repeated a lot, but the lyrics were hard to decipher. If you liked "The Tracers" from the last album, I think some of the new songs are in that vein - fast, driving guitars, quite an aggressive sound.

Some songs seemed to lack structure, like they've been built around a Big Riff but missing a wider melodic framework. That's 'Marr solo', it can feel like you're listening to an extended jam session rather than distinct songs. I wonder if part of the issue is that he has no-one to bounce ideas off - he's just putting everything down and then trying to come up with vocal melodies around it. I always remember the story about JM just noodling one day, working through ideas and then Morrissey says, "Play that again, that's IT! That's it! That's a song!" and it became Cemetry Gates.

One song in the middle of the set ('Night and Day'?) was a weird, 'experimental' spoken-word thing that seemed to go on for a lifetime, I hope that's not on the new album. I get a sense that the new album will be a mixed bag and won't match 'Call the Comet.'

Maybe it's a bit early to say but the new stuff didn't make much of an impression on me. I can vaguely remember "Tenet Time" and "Sensory Street" because the titles were repeated a lot, but the lyrics were hard to decipher. If you liked "The Tracers" from the last album, I think some of the new songs are in that vein - fast, driving guitars, quite an aggressive sound.

Some songs seemed to lack structure, like they've been built around a Big Riff but missing a wider melodic framework. That's 'Marr solo', it can feel like you're listening to an extended jam session rather than distinct songs. I wonder if part of the issue is that he has no-one to bounce ideas off - he's just putting everything down and then trying to come up with vocal melodies around it. I always remember the story about JM just noodling one day, working through ideas and then Morrissey says, "Play that again, that's IT! That's it! That's a song!" and it became Cemetry Gates.

One song in the middle of the set ('Night and Day'?) was a weird, 'experimental' spoken-word thing that seemed to go on for a lifetime, I hope that's not on the new album. I get a sense that the new album will be a mixed bag and won't match 'Call the Comet.'
Thanks, although not too encouraging! He wrote so many beautiful, melodic guitar lines and lovely strummy chord sequences in The Smiths, I don't understand why he doesn't at least try to do them anymore. Extended jam session is an apt description.
I didn't bother with Call the Comet - his previous albums just wore me down! Maybe I should give it a go...

‘Hideaway Girl’
‘Panic’
‘New Town Velocity’
‘Rubicon’ (Live debut)
‘Get the Message’
‘Getting Away With It’
‘The Headmaster Ritual’
‘This Charming Man’
‘Walk Into the Sea’
‘Hi Hello’
‘How Soon Is Now?’
‘Armatopia’
‘Easy Money’
Encore:

‘Bigmouth Strikes Again’

Wow, in comparison, even The Smiths titles stand out.

One song in the middle of the set ('Night and Day'?) was a weird, 'experimental' spoken-word thing that seemed to go on for a lifetime, I hope that's not on the new album.

That actually sounds interesting, maybe better as an album listen rather than live, will it be Marr’s ‘Sorrow Will Come In The End’ ?

I get a sense that the new album will be a mixed bag and won't match 'Call the Comet.'

That actually sounds interesting, maybe better as an album listen rather than live, will it be Marr’s ‘Sorrow Will Come In The End’ ?
He wouldn't want to ruffle any feathers. I think he should read out a selection of Morrissey's best pissy letters over the years. Can you imagine?

"Hi Johnny. Good to hear that you're now wasting your life working with the Crabs / Crisps / Lancashire Trumpet Consortium, I trust that it pays the bills truly fulfils you. I saw a Smiths feature in last week's M.E.N, thanks for slandering me endlessly agreeing with me about Strangeways. Well done on your Glastonbury karaoke spot too, I cried for a week enjoyed it." :LOL:

He wouldn't want to ruffle any feathers. I think he should read out a selection of Morrissey's best pissy letters over the years. Can you imagine?

"Hi Johnny. Good to hear that you're now wasting your life working with the Crabs / Crisps / Lancashire Trumpet Consortium, I trust that it pays the bills truly fulfils you. I saw a Smiths feature in last week's M.E.N, thanks for slandering me endlessly agreeing with me about Strangeways. Well done on your Glastonbury karaoke spot too, I cried for a week enjoyed it." :LOL:

:lbf: That would be better than any lyrics Marr could ever write himself.

But jokes aside, Marr doing a spoken word thing sounds cool, at least he’s not singing or trying to sound like New Order meets Britpop.

🍅
Moz letters , if any, were addressed to the Mrs who runs the show:woman:
since he played "Glasto" in front of billions of peeps, and his solo shows continue to consist
of 20-30 walk abouts, I am predicting his solo audience, after the Cvunteers show will continue
to be 20-30:thumbsdown:

:hammer:

Keen to hear more about the LTC

Not sure if it's the same song Amy mentioned but the I's review of the Leeds gig mentions one of the 8 new songs he played was called Sensory Street -

Elsewhere, the new material suggested that both sides of Marr’s solo catalogue – the melodic indie rock of “The Messenger” and “Call the Comet”, and the experimentalism of “Playland” – will make it onto Fever Dreams, but there’s also a suggestion of new ground in the thrilling “Sensory Street”.

Tags
johnny marr
Back
Top Bottom