Johnny Marr - Leeds gig, 20th Sept

Amy

from the Ice Age to the dole age
Very enjoyable Johnny gig at Stylus last night, I wondered if any other Soloers attended?

Good mix of material with some big crowd-pleasers - Panic, This Charming Man, Headmaster Ritual, Bigmouth, HSIN? and some of his better-known solo material. Venue was bloody hot, Johnny was dripping with sweat but really energetic and his attempt at a Leeds accent made me smile. At one point he played a new song and said, "How would you rate that out of 10? A 6? I can play it again..." :LOL:.

Johnny had a problem with his guitar at one point and had to swap to another - while adjusting the new one he kept saying, "It'll be worth the wait, I'll make it worth it" and then played Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others ...which certainly was worth it! Great to see him again.

Johnny Leeds.jpg
Leeds Stylus.jpg
Johnny Stylus Leeds.jpg
jm.jpg

:)
the tiny venue was half empty:lbf:
if you can even call it a venue= no A/C!:guitar:
everybody sweating from he mediocre surroundings except
the :guardsman: which remained stationary. Probably a waterless wig:fist:

a Shanda, Katastrofa, as expected.:thumbsdown:

:hammer:

Tell him to stop ‘singing’

Very enjoyable Johnny gig at Stylus last night, I wondered if any other Soloers attended?

Good mix of material with some big crowd-pleasers - Panic, This Charming Man, Headmaster Ritual, Bigmouth, HSIN? and some of his better-known solo material. Venue was bloody hot, Johnny was dripping with sweat but really energetic and his attempt at a Leeds accent made me smile. At one point he played a new song and said, "How would you rate that out of 10? A 6? I can play it again..." :LOL:.

Johnny had a problem with his guitar at one point and had to swap to another - while adjusting the new one he kept saying, "It'll be worth the wait, I'll make it worth it" and then played Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others ...which certainly was worth it! Great to see him again.

View attachment 76487View attachment 76488View attachment 76489View attachment 76490

Reviews are excellent Amy, looks like he will be playing a few Smiths songs to the 50k home town crowd at his support slot on on Saturday.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/wha...t-johnny-marr-stylus-leeds-university-3390169 - The first gig back from Johnny and for I would imagine most of the sold out crowd at Stylus doesn't disappoint, especially when he and his band drop Smiths classic (and Leeds referencing) Panic as the second song of the night.

He still can't sing very well, but lovely to hear this nevertheless:

Ah, thanks. Not bad, considering it’s near impossible to cover a Smiths/Morrissey song and better
Morrissey at it. But that goes for a lot of singers with a very distinct delivery, Mark E Smith is another one.

Reviews are excellent Amy, looks like he will be playing a few Smiths songs to the 50k home town crowd at his support slot on on Saturday.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/wha...t-johnny-marr-stylus-leeds-university-3390169 - The first gig back from Johnny and for I would imagine most of the sold out crowd at Stylus doesn't disappoint, especially when he and his band drop Smiths classic (and Leeds referencing) Panic as the second song of the night.

What’s with you and numbers ? Lol

Tell him to stop ‘singing’
Nobody goes to see Johnny Marr for the sake of the singing.
I wish I could tell Jesse to stop 'playing' / torturing his guitar but no luck there. God knows what he'd be like if he had to sing too.

Last edited:
Ah, thanks. Not bad, considering it’s near impossible to cover a Smiths/Morrissey song and better
Morrissey at it. But that goes for a lot of singers with a very distinct delivery, Mark E Smith is another one.
Johnny does struggle sometimes but in this clip, the person filming is really far back - it all sounds a bit muffled and the vocals 'stand out' more. At the front, the whole thing was louder/his voice blended in with the guitar. Great to hear it. I think he struggled most (vocally) with Bigmouth.

Johnny should just use one of them auto tunin' effects
on his voice.
He uses effects on his guitar, so what's the difference.

Are you asking me or Sam/Morrissey?

I’d ask ask them too if they, like you, obsessively posted on this site that ticket/record sales and chart positions are an accurate reflection of an artists true worth.

Johnny does struggle sometimes but in this clip, the person filming is really far back - it all sounds a bit muffled and the vocals 'stand out' more. At the front, the whole thing was louder/his voice blended in with the guitar. Great to hear it. I think he struggled most (vocally) with Bigmouth.

Yeah good one to hear! Some Girls is so ‘Marr’ surprised he hasn’t played it out earlier (is this the first time?) Must be fun to go out and see shows again, especially Johnny :thumb:

He is, & that's the best singing output he could achieve using it...awful.
How on earth can you know that? I was 6ft away from him and he didn't sound auto-tuned - you can hear really clearly where he's struggling, occasionally sings flat, sometimes runs out of breath, etc. For example in HSIN?, the "I am the son and the heir of a shyness.." section is far, far too low for his register but from "you shut your mouth..." he sounds more comfortable. Can you explain how you recognise auto-tune and where it's used here?

How on earth can you know that? I was 6ft away from him and he didn't sound auto-tuned - you can hear really clearly where he's struggling, occasionally sings flat, sometimes runs out of breath, etc. For example in HSIN?, the "I am the son and the heir of a shyness.." section is far, far too low for his register but from "you shut your mouth..." he sounds more comfortable. Can you explain how you recognise auto-tune and where it's used here?

People don't understand vocal effects like reverb, compression or delay, etc - they think it's all auto-tune. It's not.

Tags
johnny marr
Back
Top Bottom