Johnny Marr: 'Fantastic Man'!

joe frady

Vile Refusenik
This is a quite lovely interview with Johnny Marr in the A/W 2011 issue of 'Fantastic Man' magazine. Conducted by Moz friend-turned-foe Alex Needham (ex-'NME', now 'Guardian', go figure)

This is for Amy.

6280074725_8922fa3fbb_b.jpg

6280075553_22d8428350_b.jpg

6280600044_4ff944b05a_b.jpg

Thanks Joe, nice read. He's such a normal person its great.

He is a top bloke. Thanks for posting!

that was a nice interview. I like how Johnny was quickly to say "and it's not who your thinking" about certain famous difficult vegetarians :D

He reads Schiller and likes Goethe and Kant and is going to take on Scopenhauer. :eek: That's impressive. And I who always thought that Morrissey was the intellectual one of the two but for some reason I can't imagine Moz reading german philosophy.

Thank you Joe Frady! He really does comes across as incredibly normal - almost like fame hasn't affected him besides providing financial security. Imagine what it must be like, just ambling around Piccadilly with Johnny Marr! It's funny to imagine Johnny's place becoming a drop-in centre for rich rock'n'rollers :p. I always wanted to know when he made the switch from vegetarianism to being a vegan - 2005 apparently. And of course, it's wonderful to hear him being positive about Moz in any way. Lovely little interview.

"If I'm having a good time with someone, staying up 'til five in the morning and they're drinking, bring it on. But as soon as someone starts saying the same shit to me five times, I'm out of there."

:D Couldn't agree more!! Dammit, this cool factor is adding to my pack-up-and-move-to-Portland-in January dream I keep tossing around in my head.

Thanks for this joe frady. What a damn fine man Johnny Marr is, this is such a nice interview.

"If I'm having a good time with someone, staying up 'til five in the morning and they're drinking, bring it on. But as soon as someone starts saying the same shit to me five times, I'm out of there."

It's cool and fine that he's a proud non-drinker. I think he's pro-psychedelics though, being a Huxley admirer and having said stuff about tripping with B. Sumner quite a lot.

Don't mind me, I'm rambling. Crystal, have you seen that show Portlandia? It's quite funny. "The dream of the 90's is alive in Portland" goeth the theme song... there are probably clips on YouTube.

It's cool and fine that he's a proud non-drinker. I think he's pro-psychedelics though, being a Huxley admirer and having said stuff about tripping with B. Sumner quite a lot.

Don't mind me, I'm rambling. Crystal, have you seen that show Portlandia? It's quite funny. "The dream of the 90's is alive in Portland" goeth the theme song... there are probably clips on YouTube.

Portlandia is hilarious. So far my favorite episode is the one with Amy Mann. I'm at a cableless house until tomorrow, I'll catch it when I get home, they seem to rerun the week's episode on IFC daily.

Bert Jansch with guests including Johnny Marr 22.55 tonight BBC4

Watching now. Not a fan of Jansch's voice particularly but Johnny's fingers are mesmerising. Lovely stuff.

This is a quite lovely interview conducted by Moz friend-turned-foe Alex Needham (ex-'NME', now 'Guardian', go figure)

Can anyone confirm the rumour that Morrissey and Alex Needham actually fell out because the journalist refused Morrissey’s request to change his surname to ‘Dontneedham’?

Last edited by a moderator:
I realise that this shouldn't be the first thought after watching that wee video, but, really, no male beyond the age of seven should be wearing a striped t-shirt of any description. Sorry :o

Back
Top Bottom