John Lennon (belatedly)

Anaesthesine

Angel of Distemper
Yesterday was the 29th anniversary of John Lennon's murder. I don't see a thread for it, so I just thought I'd commemorate it with this post, from the comment section on this article (by Joe Scarborough, of all people) On Huffpo:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joe-scarborough/remembering-john-lennon-2_b_384683.html

Someone named Tommi2 wrote:

"Eight months before he was murdered, I was fortunate enough to shake the hand of John Lennon while he was stopped in the street answering a question in a small crowd of twenty or so people .

I was a rabid sixteen year old awestruck fan of his. But I did something I somehow was aware enough to do. I awkwardly locked and held his handshake long enough for him to stop and look at me.

It was a lifetime ago but is still so vivid. He looked at me somewhat alarmed for a brief second but then smiled when he saw I was just a kid fan. While smiling he said, "I need me hand back" and laughed and touched my left shoulder with his other hand.
He asked me what my name was and gave me a sort of half hug and I quickly buried my face in his chest and bear hugged his waist like he was my dad. In a soft, caring, accented voice he good-naturedly quipped "Prefer me a hug, than some silly autograph, Tom?" while others laughed at my exuberance.

He had a beautiful, slender, yet manly hand which I studied in that moment. It was calloused and dry but it was similar to holding a delicate piece of art to me at the time.
And, he had the distinct scent of cinnamon. By choice, cinnamon is a constant scent around me and John's music is never too far away."

Wow, I don't know if this is true, but that is one hell of a story.

RIP John.

Yes, RIP dear John,

My mother crossed the street in back of John & Yoko in 1979. Not a soul stopped them or asked them any questions. She decided to leave them in peace. I am forever grateful for that decision.

I was in NYC yesterday and was thinking about it on the train ride home. When he died I remember thinking "he was old" at 40.....that ain't old at all.

RIP John.

I was in Liverpool at the Hard Day's Night hotel mon-tue celebrating my first wedding anniversary. I'm a massive Lennon fan and it never ceases to amaze me the power of his lyrics.
RIP John.

BTW, Mathew street on a rainy december week night is party central!

I was in NYC yesterday and was thinking about it on the train ride home. When he died I remember thinking "he was old" at 40.....that ain't old at all.

RIP John.

I was in high school when he was killed, and even though I was devastated, I thought the same thing - boy, did he seem old. It took me a long time to realize that he died way too young...

I didnt remember til way late last night. shame on me.

I did get to see the John Lennon exhibit in NY on his bday though which was nice. He died two years before I was born, but I really wish he were still around. :(

Back
Top Bottom