Joe Chiccarelli discusses recording "World Peace..." in Mix (Aug. 2014)

A very interesting read, I especially like the bit where it mentions that Morrissey sent demos for 26 songs ahead of time. So there's 8 "songs" that we don't know about yet. (Five, if three of them are People, Action and The Kid's...)

Before heading to France, Chiccarelli had asked Morrissey to provide demos of the songs they’d be working on, but by the time they all arrived at La Fabrique, the producer understood that arrangements and lyrics would really come together in the studio.

“The funny thing is, I insisted on those demos, and he said, ‘Absolutely,’ and sent me 26 of them,” Chiccarelli recalls. “But there were no vocals. It was a surprise to me, but this is the way he always works. Sometimes the people he writes with put demos together, and then for the ones that inspire him, he’ll come up with melodies and lyrics to put on top. But you never ever know what that is until you go into the studio.

A very interesting read, I especially like the bit where it mentions that Morrissey sent demos for 26 songs ahead of time. So there's 8 "songs" that we don't know about yet. (Five, if three of them are People, Action and The Kid's...)

Yes, 26 demos :) . I also enjoyed reading about the recording process, how the band is like family and how talented Matt is. We knew already, but it's nice to read about it. He's probably Morrissey's best drummer, ever.

This is an article related to Morrissey and the recording of WPINOYB

Morrissey’s Flair for the Dramatic: 'World Peace Is None of Your Business' - Mix
Aug 1, 2014 9:00 AM, Mix, By Barbara Schultz

Engineer_Maxime_Le_Guil_and_producer_Joe_Chiccarelli_in_La_Fabrique_Studio.jpg
Engineer Maxime Le Guil and producer Joe Chiccarelli in La Fabrique Studio.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, 26 demos :) . I also enjoyed reading about the recording process, how the band is like family and how talented Matt is. We knew already, but it's nice to read about it. He's probably Morrissey's best drummer, ever.

Agreed 10000%. He's the best drummer live of all the bands I've ever seen ever. Not joking.

Lots of technical stuff here that I'm willfully ignorant about, but I Chicarrelli did an incredible job with WPINOYB and with getting the best possible work out of the band. It's wonderful how much open respect he has for Morrissey and his creative process, too. I'd love to see them work together on the next album.

And yes, another vote from me for Matt as Best Morrissey Drummer Ever.

Great article, very informative. Thanks for sharing. I hope the remaining songs that weren't recorded will eventually see the light of day.

On the subject of Morrissey's drummers, I think Spencer is the most technically proficient and dynamic of the bunch, but the energy Matt brings to the proceedings is an invaluable component of the Morrissey live experience.

I knew it. This album was slapped together. That's how unfinished demo versions like "I'm not a man" and "Smiler with Knife" ended up there.

This interview explains a lot.

Nice read. I definitely hope he works with Joe on the next LP. This part really stuck out for me, especially because I think a lot of people sell his current band wayyyy too short:

“It’s interesting: I work a lot with studio musicians, and they’re used to making records all day long, whereas this band is a live touring band, and some of them don’t have a lot of studio experience,” Chiccarelli says. “The skill set that you use in the recording studio is different from live, but what these players brought to the project in terms of intensity and excitement, and that over-the-top dramatic quality to their playing, made them fantastic collaborators. They are his family. They are his band, and they understand him and understand what he wants. Some have been with him for years, some are relatively very new, but they were all really committed to him and to his vision.”

Agreed 10000%. He's the best drummer live of all the bands I've ever seen ever. Not joking.

I've always thought that about Matt, too. I've never seen a live band where the drummer tops him. He's bold, hard energy at it's finest.

Yeah but good is he at licking ice cream off a cone? How about his naked photo shoot skills? Might be too soon to declare Matt his best.

Very detailed. Topping Finn, Visconti, is not an easy thing to do. And while "You Are The Quarry" is my favorite of the last four albums, the production work on "World Peace..." is fabulous. Clearly, Chiccarelli worked his ass of.

Now THIS is the kind of article I come here to read - great stuff! I really got a sense of how these beautiful recordings came together. Joe Chicarrelli did a fantastic job of interpreting the music, keeping the record fresh and interesting, and kicking things up to a higher level. It sounds like the band brought quite a bit of sympathetic, creative energy with them as well. As an old studio hound I like most of the tech-geek stuff too; I particularly enjoy insights into how each producer filters those amazing vocals - it seems like Morrissey would be both a joy and utterly intimidating to work with.

I hope Joe Chicarrelli is on board for the next album (wherever, however and whenever it may come to be).

Now THIS is the kind of article I come here to read - great stuff! I really got a sense of how these beautiful recordings came together. Joe Chicarrelli did a fantastic job of interpreting the music, keeping the record fresh and interesting, and kicking things up to a higher level. It sounds like the band brought quite a bit of sympathetic, creative energy with them as well. As an old studio hound I like most of the tech-geek stuff too; I particularly enjoy insights into how each producer filters those amazing vocals - it seems like Morrissey would be both a joy and utterly intimidating to work with.

I hope Joe Chicarrelli is on board for the next album (wherever, however and whenever it may come to be).

Woof-Woof! ~

http://www.lynxstudio.com/news_press_detail.asp?i=146

JUL 2014

Joe Chiccarelli Opts for Lynx Aurora Converters for new Morrissey Album

Transatlantic project tracks at La Fabrique in France with completion at Sunset Sound in Los Angeles

JULY 15, 2014 - COSTA MESA, CA Aurora 16VT converters from Lynx Studio Technology were used for the transatlantic recording and mixing of the new album by Morrissey, “World Peace is None of Your Business”. Produced by Joe Chiccarelli, tracking was done at the beautiful La Fabrique studio in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence, France. Overdubbing and final mixing were completed at Sunset Sound in Los Angeles.
Aurora 16VT converters have been in use at La Fabrique for many years and provided Chiccarelli with the clarity and response required for tracking the Morrissey sessions.

“We have been using Lynx Aurora at La Fabrique for many years now. It was after testing different other converters that we finally decided to buy Aurora. As an engineer I’m very satisfied and regularly track and mix with very good results,” according to Hervé le Guil, La Fabrique’s owner. “I always keep the Aurora’s stereo mix that is very close to my stereo console output, very close! It’s really fantastic that passing through the converters you never lose the quality of the initial sound. It’s a really good machine!”

Noted French engineer Maxime Le Guil assisted Chiccarelli with tracking in France.

“La Fabrique is a state of the art studio. It’s an idyllic setting and an extremely inspiring place to work,” stated Chiccarelli. “There are many options in terms of recording spaces. The staff is top notch and it’s always a musically rewarding experience to record there.”

After tracking was completed in France, Chiccarelli resumed work in Los Angeles for completion at Sunset Sound. In an effort to maintain the same sonic character he had achieved in France and after evaluation, he determined that a change in converters may be the difference. Working with Chris Bolitho at Vintage King LA, he brought in a pair of Aurora 16VT converters and immediately got back to the exact quality audio he had in France.

“It was really important for me to maintain some continuity throughout the project. Since we tracked thru the Lynx Aurora, I really wanted to maintain that sound through the mixing stage,” explained Chiccarelli, “There is an openness and smoothness in the top end of these convertors that is quite unique. It was very noticeable in the Vocal sound and the acoustic guitar sound especially.

“The change in converters to Aurora made all of the difference. The Auroras sound great. They have lots of air on top. It is indeed the vocal sound that I had recorded. In mixing we used a combination of Lynx Convertors and other converters, but the extension in the top and bottom end that the Aurora has was really helpful on instruments that needed the air. I am very thankful that Aurora allowed us put this album back to where it started.”

Designed and built in California, USA, Lynx Studio Technology offers a range of Aurora and Hilo converters and high quality audio cards. Pristine audio quality, versatility, customer support and cross platform performance are the earmarks of the Costa Mesa based company. Lynx is privately held and founded in 1998.

“World Peace is None of Your Business” was released July 15, 2014. For more information on La Fabrique Studio, go to: http://www.studioslafabrique.com/. For Sunset Sound, go to: http://www.sunsetsound.com/. For Vintage King, go to: http://vintageking.com/. For Lynx Studio Technology, go to: http://www.lynxstudio.com/

14742529530_d30bf08178_b.jpg

& Here is a peek at La Fabrique :yum:

Woof-Woof! ~

http://www.lynxstudio.com/news_press_detail.asp?i=146

JUL 2014

Joe Chiccarelli Opts for Lynx Aurora Converters for new Morrissey Album

Transatlantic project tracks at La Fabrique in France with completion at Sunset Sound in Los Angeles

JULY 15, 2014 - COSTA MESA, CA Aurora 16VT converters from Lynx Studio Technology were used for the transatlantic recording and mixing of the new album by Morrissey, “World Peace is None of Your Business”. Produced by Joe Chiccarelli, tracking was done at the beautiful La Fabrique studio in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence, France. Overdubbing and final mixing were completed at Sunset Sound in Los Angeles.
Aurora 16VT converters have been in use at La Fabrique for many years and provided Chiccarelli with the clarity and response required for tracking the Morrissey sessions.

“We have been using Lynx Aurora at La Fabrique for many years now. It was after testing different other converters that we finally decided to buy Aurora. As an engineer I’m very satisfied and regularly track and mix with very good results,” according to Hervé le Guil, La Fabrique’s owner. “I always keep the Aurora’s stereo mix that is very close to my stereo console output, very close! It’s really fantastic that passing through the converters you never lose the quality of the initial sound. It’s a really good machine!”

Noted French engineer Maxime Le Guil assisted Chiccarelli with tracking in France.

“La Fabrique is a state of the art studio. It’s an idyllic setting and an extremely inspiring place to work,” stated Chiccarelli. “There are many options in terms of recording spaces. The staff is top notch and it’s always a musically rewarding experience to record there.”

After tracking was completed in France, Chiccarelli resumed work in Los Angeles for completion at Sunset Sound. In an effort to maintain the same sonic character he had achieved in France and after evaluation, he determined that a change in converters may be the difference. Working with Chris Bolitho at Vintage King LA, he brought in a pair of Aurora 16VT converters and immediately got back to the exact quality audio he had in France.

“It was really important for me to maintain some continuity throughout the project. Since we tracked thru the Lynx Aurora, I really wanted to maintain that sound through the mixing stage,” explained Chiccarelli, “There is an openness and smoothness in the top end of these convertors that is quite unique. It was very noticeable in the Vocal sound and the acoustic guitar sound especially.

“The change in converters to Aurora made all of the difference. The Auroras sound great. They have lots of air on top. It is indeed the vocal sound that I had recorded. In mixing we used a combination of Lynx Convertors and other converters, but the extension in the top and bottom end that the Aurora has was really helpful on instruments that needed the air. I am very thankful that Aurora allowed us put this album back to where it started.”

Designed and built in California, USA, Lynx Studio Technology offers a range of Aurora and Hilo converters and high quality audio cards. Pristine audio quality, versatility, customer support and cross platform performance are the earmarks of the Costa Mesa based company. Lynx is privately held and founded in 1998.

“World Peace is None of Your Business” was released July 15, 2014. For more information on La Fabrique Studio, go to: http://www.studioslafabrique.com/. For Sunset Sound, go to: http://www.sunsetsound.com/. For Vintage King, go to: http://vintageking.com/. For Lynx Studio Technology, go to: http://www.lynxstudio.com/

14742529530_d30bf08178_b.jpg

& Here is a peek at La Fabrique :yum:

Thanks! Geek love!

It's a gorgeous, GORGEOUS room (much nicer than anything I've ever recorded in, that's for sure). And you can't beat the use of old stone chambers for natural room sound. I use less ancient ones all the time.

Yes: give Morrissey's vocals room! Folks tend to throw unsubtle effects on it - they muddy it up. Those recorded moments when his vocals are dry, or allowed to cut through the production are always the strongest, in my opinion. Don't mess with perfection!

The album was a blatant show of self indulgence on the part of JC (not, "that" JC), its like, here's me and here's what I can do, cheese ball sound effects, whistles, rivers, the start of I'm not a man? What the f*** was all that about by the way, did he explain that?

This is an article related to Morrissey and the recording of WPINOYB . Let's see if it's "news" enough to make it to the front page.

http://www.mixonline.com/recording/...ramatic_world_peace_is_none_of_your_business/

in my opinion - first class news!

released on the 1st of august, 'discovered' 14 days later :( :(

everything is more interesting here than creative process of album-making :(

my favourite parts:

“The other unusual thing is, often he’ll do tricky things in terms of songwriting,” Chiccarelli continues. “If you go back and listen to Smiths songs or his solo records, you’ll see he will do things like sing what is the chorus melody—one time he’ll sing it over the chorus, but another time he may sing it over the bridge of the song or over a verse, and that transforms it into a whole new section. That means you can’t mess with his song structure much, because he’s treating it in a different way.

and

“It’s interesting: I work a lot with studio musicians, and they’re used to making records all day long, whereas this band is a live touring band, and some of them don’t have a lot of studio experience,” Chiccarelli says. “The skill set that you use in the recording studio is different from live, but what these players brought to the project in terms of intensity and excitement, and that over-the-top dramatic quality to their playing, made them fantastic collaborators. They are his family. They are his band, and they understand him and understand what he wants. Some have been with him for years, some are relatively very new, but they were all really committed to him and to his vision.

p.s. %

Thanks! Geek love!

It's a gorgeous, GORGEOUS room (much nicer than anything I've ever recorded in, that's for sure). And you can't beat the use of old stone chambers for natural room sound. I use less ancient ones all the time.

Yes: give Morrissey's vocals room! Folks tend to throw unsubtle effects on it - they muddy it up. Those recorded moments when his vocals are dry, or allowed to cut through the production are always the strongest, in my opinion. Don't mess with perfection!

That's the beautiful thing about Morrissey. His voice is so perfect it doesn't need anything extra. I've seen so many artists who sound amazing on record and like shit on stage. He not only sounds even better live, but his voice has gotten better with age.

Great article.....

This is an excellent album......and this article goes a long way in explaining how it got that way.

A great live band......does it in the studio just as well.

Great article.....

This is an excellent album......and this article goes a long way in explaining how it got that way.

A great live band......does it in the studio just as well.

Yup. I think a lot of the greatness of WPINOYB can be attributed to the production, in the best way possible.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom