Jesse Tobias' favored Fender Starcaster to be reissued

A very cool-looking guitar. I'm not a huge aficionado — although I will say that I completely get Johnny's love of the Jaguar, so much can be done with that guitar — but I'm not sure I've ever noticed any other musicians of reasonable popularity using Starcasters. Has anyone seen them in other bands, and if so, which?

Great news! Now all I have to do is buy one of the re-issues and have someone break all my fingers and I'll have that authentic Tobias sound. :guitar:

A very cool-looking guitar. I'm not a huge aficionado — although I will say that I completely get Johnny's love of the Jaguar, so much can be done with that guitar — but I'm not sure I've ever noticed any other musicians of reasonable popularity using Starcasters. Has anyone seen them in other bands, and if so, which?

There's this article on Fender's website about the Starcaster. Kinda interesting, and they list musicians-including Mr.Tobias- who tend to favor it. :guitar:
http://www.fender.com/news/guitarchive-the-starcaster/

From the article:

"Original ’70s Starcasters have now undergone something of a rehabilitation. It’s a hip guitar now among those who eschew the mainstream and prize the more esoteric instruments of the 1960s and ’70s.

Whereas you’d have been hard pressed to find Starcasters in many high-profile hands during its original 1970s era, you needn’t look very hard today to see them put to prominent stage and studio use by several noted guitarists.

Radiohead resident guitar genius Jonny Greenwood, for example, played his Starcaster on acclaimed albums OK Computer (1997), Kid A (2000) and Amnesiac (2001). He has used it extensively onstage for songs including “Subterranean Homesick Alien,” “The Tourist,” “Optimistic,” “In Limbo,” “Packt Like Sardines in a Crushed Tin Box,” “Pyramid Song” (played using a cello bow), “I Might Be Wrong,” “Knives Out,” “You and Whose Army?” “Jigsaw Falling Into Place,” Give Up the Ghost” and “Street Spirit (Fade Out).”

Killers guitarist Dave Keuning is another fan. Hit 2006 album Sam’s Town is a good example of his Starcaster work, and he has also used it in videos (“Human,” “For Reasons Unknown”). Keuning too uses his Starcaster extensively onstage—footage of the Killers at the 2007 Glastonbury Festival provides plenty of good examples (“When You Were Young,” “Uncle Jonny,” “Read My Mind,” “On Top,” “Mr. Brightside,” “For Reasons Unknown”).

Morrissey guitarist Jesse Tobias is an avowed Starcaster player; he can be seen playing his in the video for 2006 single “You Have Killed Me.” Other noted Starcaster players include Arctic Monkeys guitarist Jamie Cook (see the video for 2009 single “Crying Lightning”), Death Cab For Cutie’s Chris Walla (i.e., “Cath …,” “Crooked Teeth”), Mooney Suzuki guitarist/vocalist Sammy James Jr. (i.e., “99%,” “Alive and Amplified”), and Our Lady Peace guitarist Steve Mazur (i.e., “Where Are You”)."

Tags
guitar jesse tobias
Back
Top Bottom