Jens Lekman and Morrissey

Lekman's lyrics are quite good and I undestand why critics compare him to Morrissey.

But our Moz untouchable, of course :o

taken from this interview little snippet about Moz

PM: There's some ready made clichés for the critic writing about you -- it's going to be hard not to cite, say, Jonathan Richman and Stephen Merritt (the Morrissey comparison, I don't hear so much). How do these clichés and comparisons strike you, whether they're accurate or not?

JL: I'd love to BE Jonathan. But just as he failed to be Lou Reed, I fail to be Jonathan. Because I can never be that carefree and naïve. And I think that's the beauty of it. I would probably love Mr. Merritt's music, but I only had time to hear 69 Love Songs before everyone started comparing me to him and now I can't listen to him. I do understand the voice comparison, though. And we both write songs about love. So there you go. I got beat up by Morrissey's fans when I was 17. They were the bullies back then, the people who were pretty and always had someone. Everything's just upside-down here. My grandpa likes Morrissey; he thinks he's nice.

I got beat up by Morrissey's fans when I was 17. They were the bullies back then, the people who were pretty and always had someone. Everything's just upside-down here. My grandpa likes Morrissey; he thinks he's nice.

Humm... that's a bit strange, don't you agree?

i saw jens lekman a few weeks ago in salford and the
"inspiration" of jonathan richman upon him was staggering ...
the dancing, the acapella bits ... there wasnt a song
about a chewing gum wrapper but there might as well
have been ...

Back
Top Bottom