James Dean’s high school faces demolition

ADAM

No One You Know
http://www.indystar.com/article/20090407/LOCAL/90407039

This is a call to arms, my friends. We need to form a human shield and, literally, throw our arms around Fairmount High School. I will stare down the bulldozer. Will you?

Also, please note, you can protest and you can frink, but you gotta protest and frink at the same time!

Last edited:
Why save it?
Read the article again .... the building is in a right state, it's not currently a school.....it's falling down..... so James Dean went there 60 years ago......:confused:

Jukebox Jury

I thought that about the Salford Lads Club
and those ugly murals outside that shopping "centre".
Hate to say it, but that's a good point. It's irrelevant now because The Powers That Be think it's off-topic and not newsworthy, I guess.

I'll just have to make a quick roadtrip to do some more salvaging.

I thought that about the Salford Lads Club
and those ugly murals outside that shopping "centre".

But the Salford Lads Club is currently in use, not vandalised and windows smashed (OK, there are no windows:thumb:) and Afflecks Palace - again - was in use by stall holders and customers alike and the owners wanted to turn the last remaining independant shopping units in the city into apartments. That was worth demonstrating for and thankfully won.

This school in Fairmount is a decrepit building, abandoned for years and an eyesore.... so they save it from demolision and then what.......? It just stands there for another twenty years not in use and an eyesore....

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
I visited Fairmount High School almost 20 years ago, and it was a wreck then. It's the only logical thing to do with the building. Move on.

Anyone who dares to demolish that property will be cursed forever, they will die slow painful deaths!!!!!!!!!!

bitches better beware! :cool:

But the building is self demolishing..... what do you want to happen?
There clearly is no need for the building as a school or it would still be a school..... you really feel it should be rebuilt as a school becasue ONE of it's pupils over 60 years ago went on to become famous?
Even Morrissey's school, St Mary's, is now a housing estate.....

Jukebox Jury

The man is a cultural icon. But he only made after leaving Fairmount, many years before. It's just a building.

This building is one of many thousands crumbling nationwide. The fact is that they are not safe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_the_Angels_School_Fire

They cannot be brought up to fire safety code without massive expense. It's actually cheaper to build a new school from the ground up. My kids' single-story school has wide windows in every classroom that can serve as fire escapes. They have even built small staircases and mounted them outside each window. I'm not worried my kids will roast to death in a fire like the kids above did.

Morrissey should buy it and renovate it into a mansion. Or an artists' colony. Short of that... get in line. Lots of buildings that famous people lived and worked in can't be saved.

But the Salford Lads Club is currently in use, not vandalised and windows smashed (OK, there are no windows:thumb:) and Afflecks Palace

Fair enough on SLC but those murals were pretty awful.

Tags
blargh! history james dean jd = god jd haters suck let it fall suedehead who cares? wtf?
Back
Top Bottom