It's (not) about ethics - The Chinese student jailed for two years for exploiting KFC

Maybe caffeine really does keep me awake. I slept every night for the past week, but drank lots of coffee yesterday, and can't sleep. I always thought I was impervious to caffeine.

I do feel sorry for Xu because two years in Chinese prison has got to be a really life-altering experience but I'm not saying that he didn't willfully commit crimes. I think if it was me I'd have reported the glitch and hoped for some kind of free voucher as a reward. The enthusiasm he went into this with when everything can be traced directly to him shows that he's not cut out to be a criminal.

🧐

'how many buckets free chicken do
i get for snitching on chicken
thieves. never mind my name.
can i get fries with my reward
for ratting out the chicken glitch
thieves"

DECIDED: UNETHICAL:hammer:

It was not too bad, that psych ward, though they didn't give me back my charging cables, their toothbrushes sucked, I had to eat dairy, and my medication was increased. They socialized me though. I admit I needed to be socialized.
What country was this in?

Ok, so now that I'm leaving I feel like I can speak more freely, but first of all, there is much that is wonderful here because of the absence of partisan politics. Which once you live here makes perfect sense, the Chinese desire to arrive at consensus is an an overwhelming fact to a Westerner, peace, order are the gods here, not freedom, fairness and the like.
and so while I was terrified when I heard about this story, having lived here I was sure there was part left out and well, the truth is these guys had a buddy from the UK, now I have no idea whether he encouraged them, but sorry, once you live here that makes more sense than what has been reported. My long experience is that Chinese only do wrong if they are sure they can get away with it. So yes, maybe these idiots were just that, but really cmon, extra food to sell to others or just throw away? thats like as laowai as it gets..

You're posting on a Morrissey fansite, and given his past comments about KFC and China it shouldn't take too much imagination to see that the chickens are a factor. That doesn't mean they will be a factor in everyone's analysis though and you're not being forced to consider any of this or to participate at all.

🧐

WTF? FC?
Everybody in this dumb story
of yours is stuffing their mouths
with chicken:hammer:
since you have no job would
that nake it ok for you to swipe
burritos from 7-11? seeing they only
carry chicken and beef burritos?
AGAIN FAILURE:hammer:

Then I don't see the point of your original comment other than to point out an interesting story. I don't see what these 'interesting factors' are. Someone committed systematic, long-term theft against a company and was tried, convicted, and imprisoned. There's nothing particularly interesting or problematic about that, morally speaking.
I don't think you are wrong. I just think it's one perspective. I think "systematic" is an interesting word here because it reminds me of the lawyer from Seinfeld. He might ask, "Who created the system? Was it their system? Egregious, outrageous, and ridiculous!"
RVeuati.jpg

I'm thinking of a slightly different situation.
What if the company was one that was in the business of cock-fighting? Let's say that instead of stealing chicken this student somehow found a glitch in the system where he could place bets on these fights and collect if he won, but not have to pay if he lost. Would that change your opinion?

Anyway, I didn't want to get way into any Animal Liberation Front rhetoric or anything like that. I'm just interested in seeing things through different perspectives. The one you're choosing is based on established law and tradition. I was also imagining it a different way where all things that are considered as a given are now to be questioned.

If we forget laws, economic systems, and every other established given we have something like this. Somehow these restaurants are able to provide this product, the fired chicken. Forget who raises it, butchers it, processes it, cooks it, how they sell it, how the money actually changes hands. Pretend that we're totally ignorant of all these factors. At the most basic level the restaurant can provide chicken. The student can acquire chicken. Typically one electronic interaction is expected for this to occur but he has managed to meet the requirements, temporarily, with an alternative electronic interaction.
The first results in the system operating as normal and the second will eventually create some sort of activity that will cause investigation.
It would be really interesting to me to know how they found out. I wonder if it's something as basic as Xu showing up repeatedly at the same KFC to get similar orders until they finally looked into it?

And whose side would Morrissey take? "Kentucky Fried Shit" or the "subspecies" students?

Ok, so now that I'm leaving I feel like I can speak more freely, but first of all, there is much that is wonderful here because of the absence of partisan politics. Which once you live here makes perfect sense, the Chinese desire to arrive at consensus is an an overwhelming fact to a Westerner, peace, order are the gods here, not freedom, fairness and the like.
and so while I was terrified when I heard about this story, having lived here I was sure there was part left out and well, the truth is these guys had a buddy from the UK, now I have no idea whether he encouraged them, but sorry, once you live here that makes more sense than what has been reported. My long experience is that Chinese only do wrong if they are sure they can get away with it. So yes, maybe these idiots were just that, but really cmon, extra food to sell to others or just throw away? thats like as laowai as it gets..
You're allegedly an English teacher, right? Just checking. So this buddy from the UK angle, what do you know about this? Are you ready to name names? I have a buddy from the UK. You really can't trust those people, They will encourage you to steal chicken all day long, bro.
Do I have to live in China for this to "make more sense than what has been reported" or is it the Chinese methamphetamine that makes it all so crystal clear? NEED MORE ANSWERS SOON THANKS!

so to the unenlightened there is this thing here called "WeChat" and that is where all rumors start, now since I'm not the governement?
I cannot confirm or deny anything
however, I do know that money has been raised to make sure these boys get out of jail quick, thats how it works here, a minimum sentence then a fine, the buzz around these guys while upsetting to the powers that be has ensured their early release and well, deterred anybody from doing the same, commie china, biden merica, capitalism wins :rock:

its a FC post its not supposed to make sense, there an important realm
an unimportant realm or no realm. 'somehow' :crazy:
KFC are able to provide and protect the 'fired chicken'.:confused:
WTF?
and then MiniMao, great samurai warrior became 'terrified'
that someone snagged the 'fired' chicken:crazy:

is the UK 'buddy' the same as FC UK Facebook buddy?

you can speak freely now? were you under surveillance?:rightmagnify:
for what? attacking the all you can eat Chinese buffets?🛸

Then I don't see the point of your original comment other than to point out an interesting story. I don't see what these 'interesting factors' are. Someone committed systematic, long-term theft against a company and was tried, convicted, and imprisoned. There's nothing particularly interesting or problematic about that, morally speaking.
for once i agree with you. it was a silly premise for a thread. is the argument dave-o is trying to make on the side of ethics that kfc deserve to have fraud committed against them? and if so, how does generating more cruelty by committed this fraud (because this person committing the fraud clearly had no qualms about the suffering of the chickens) , make things right, exactly? no, the whole ethical question of kfc existing in the first place has no business in this very cut and dry case.

I Facebook messengered my sister about 20 days ago. Last contact was by phone in 1998. I told her I love her, can forgive anything, and that I wanted to clear the air between us. She sent me her phone number. I called and asked her if she killed dad. She said I was out of line, thanked me for calling and blocked me.
that would be the normal response, yeah

I do feel sorry for Xu because two years in Chinese prison has got to be a really life-altering experience but I'm not saying that he didn't willfully commit crimes. I think if it was me I'd have reported the glitch and hoped for some kind of free voucher as a reward. The enthusiasm he went into this with when everything can be traced directly to him shows that he's not cut out to be a criminal.
presumably since xu lives in china xu knows the risk he was taking when he was committing fraud. xu is just lucky hes not hooked up to a torture simulating machine. i can tell you one thing, if i lived in china i would not be committing fraud.

I'm angry.
I will channel my anger into painting. See where it leads.

I just want honesty from her, civilly, not her brute honesty aka trying to Murder me, but conversational honesty. But, she won't give it to me. Paint I will. Maybe somehow, I will find peace through my painting.

It hurts to be angry. It's worrisome. As long as she lies about the important stuff, I admit, I hate her, wish her illness and death, frankly.

Back
Top Bottom