Is "Wide to Receive" Moz's most homoerotic song?

I didn’t say he had to...

tenor.gif
fag

@GirlAfraidWillNeverLearn

maybe I’m reaching with this one ...

“All men have secrets and here is mine
So let it be known”

Though the right lyric is ‘Late afternoon’ in Patti Smith’s Redondo Beach, Morrissey sings it as he always heard it ... ‘Let it be known’.

‘Late afternoon, dreaming hotel
We just had the quarrel that sent you away’

- Smith

‘Let it be known
a dreaming hotel
we just had a quarrel
I sent you away’

- Morrissey

Patti Smith’s Redondo Beach (actually about her sister) has been interpreted as a gay song, in this case between two women.

Horses was a huge influence on Morrissey, so I wouldn’t be surprised if
Patti’s song was on Morrissey’s mind when writing “What Difference Does It Make?” even if only subconsciously.

So let it be known”

Though the right lyric is ‘Late afternoon’ in Patti Smith’s Redondo Beach, Morrissey sings it as he always heard it ... ‘Let it be known’.

- Smith

‘Let it be known
a dreaming hotel
we just had a quarrel
I sent you away’

- Morrissey

Patti Smith’s Redondo Beach (actually about her sister) has been interpreted as a gay song, in this case between two women.

Patti’s song was on Morrissey’s mind when writing “What Difference Does It Make?” even if only subconsciously.

Oh I think I'll listen to Steve's version of that now! What a good idea!

So let it be known”

- Smith

‘Let it be known
a dreaming hotel
we just had a quarrel
I sent you away’

- Morrissey

Wow, I like this idea.
I have to think about it and re-listen to both versions.

I have to admit, I never considered the possibility of Redondo Beach being about a lesbian couple, but I always knew that she wrote it after a fight with her sister. Luckily the real story had a happy ending, unlike the song.

I've never thought about which song is his most (homo)erotic, because all of his songs are very gay and many are very erotic.

I think there's so much innuendo especially in his early Smiths lyrics, as has been mentioned. From meeting someone who's in need of "self-validation" behind the railway station ("It's all over my face...") and getting "something that I won't forget too soon" behind the dis-used railway line, to slapping and "pinning" on the patio, to the icy cold hands conducting their way and swaying juvenile impulses of Stretch Out And Wait, there's always been a lot of sex in his lyrics.

Wide To Receive is a great song, beautifully sung and the lyrics are very clever and open to interpretation while at the same time very blunt.
You do realise all those songs can be seen from a straight perspective too?
There is nothing saying those songs are gay leaning, the songs are just about sex, not about sexual preferences.

Wow, I like this idea.
I have to think about it and re-listen to both versions.

I have to admit, I never considered the possibility of Redondo Beach being about a lesbian couple, but I always knew that she wrote it after a fight with her sister. Luckily the real story had a happy ending, unlike the song.

People have interpreted it that way (I always have) especially when one takes into consideration the lyrics of her Gloria which opens the album where she takes on a ‘masculine’ role ....

“.... Until I look out the window, see a sweet young thing
Humpin' on the parking meter, leanin' on the parking meter
Oh, she looks so good, oh, she looks so fine
And I got this crazy feeling and then I'm gonna ah-ah make her mine
Ooh I'll put my spell on her
Here she comes
Walkin' down the street
Here she comes
Comin' through my door
Here she comes .... “

So one can see how the song that follows (Redondo Beach) is interpreted as a gay song. And I’m sure Morrissey
was looking for role models or at least looking to others that were breaking the rules, especially when it came to gender, which was a rare thing in pop
and rock lyric.

Last edited:
You do realise all those songs can be seen from a straight perspective too?
There is nothing saying those songs are gay leaning, the songs are just about sex, not about sexual preferences.
Well, the subject of I Want The One I Can't Have is "a tough boy who sometimes swallows nails" and it would be rather unusual if he was pinned and mounted by a female partner, but yeah, I do realise that anyone can interpret these songs in whatever way they like.

However, since the singer and lyricist of these songs is not straight, I have always interpreted them accordingly.

Edit: In my experience, women are also less likely to leave something "all over your face" after receiving "self-validation", but it's not a physical impossibility of course.

Last edited:
A lot of songs are related to homosexuality (and not really "humansexuality").
I understood his "I'm not sorry" that way the first time I've head it and I still think of it that way:

"The woman of my dreams, Well, There never was one
And I'm, Not sorry for, For the things I've said
There's a wild man in my head,"

i.e, "There isn't a woman in my dreams, there's a man".

But his was already doing it in his early solo times... Picadilly Palare can be considered a song about being gay.
Other than that, you'll find homophobic idiots here, which simply means that people are stupid... in most cases you can simply pretend that they don't exist because discussions with some people simple lead to... I don't know where, but probably not any interesting place!

I kind of wondered how to interpret those lines when I heard them, but when you explain them they're crystal clear.
I always looked for complexity when there was none. Zero. Zilch. F.A. Nil.
Steve's lyrics really are super simple!
:highfive:

Well, the subject of I Want The One I Can't Have is "a tough boy who sometimes swallows nails" and it would be rather unusual if he was pinned and mounted by a female partner, but yeah, I do realise that anyone can interpret these songs in whatever way they like.

However, since the singer and lyricist of these songs is not straight, I have always interpreted them accordingly.

Edit: In my experience, women are also less likely to leave something "all over your face" after receiving "self-validation", but it's not a physical impossibility of course.
Well I know loadsa straight Moz fans who sing those songs from a straight perspective and their love lives have quite often had gaps where it's been difficult to find a partner, myself included. The wrong thing that's going on here is songs that are entirely open to interpretation are being hijacked by a group of gay fans as being 'gay' songs by an out & out 'gay' singer. Totally missing the point.

Well I know loadsa straight Moz fans who sing those songs from a straight perspective and their love lives have quite often had gaps where it's been difficult to find a partner, myself included. The wrong thing that's going on here is songs that are entirely open to interpretation are being hijacked by a group of gay fans as being 'gay' songs by an out & out 'gay' singer. Totally missing the point.

So they are "entirely open to interpretation" but only as long as those interpretations fit into your heterosexual worldview.
Got it. I'm sure Morrissey would approve of this.

the wild man in my head is depression,he said so in an interview which should be easy to find once you exit here.

And when he said "mammary glands", he meant "books"... :ROFLMAO:

interesting, yes erotic, though never thought of the fellatio angle on that cover, but sure.

I don't think the choice of the image was accidental.

R-8608040-1465040890-5744.jpeg.jpg

Then again, it's surely my favourite album cover.

Did they have strap-ons in 1983? Paging any historians who might know.
Well, I said "unusual", not impossible.
Poor choice of words on my part, I apologise. I'm well aware that there is more than one scenario in which he could be pinned and mounted by a woman.

Back
Top Bottom