Interview with Cornershop's Tjinder Singh reflects on Morrissey protest

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...r-singh-brexit-morrissey-music-england-garden

Extract:

"On No Rock: Save in Roll you’ll also hear a discreet sitar; this musical synthesis is everywhere in Cornershop’s back catalogue, a musical response, perhaps, to how difficult assimilation has been for them in other ways. In 1993 their first EP’s lead track, England’s Dreaming, injected indie with the spirit of protest, fusing lyrics from the Smiths’ Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now and Public Enemy (“I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour/Fight the Power!”).

This protest was about Morrissey, who had draped himself in a union jack at a Madness gig in summer 1992, when the flag was very much a symbol of the far right. He had also released controversial songs such as The National Front Disco and Bengali in Platforms, the latter addressing an immigrant to Britain wanting to assimilate (“shelve your western plans/and understand/That life is hard enough when you belong here”). Cornershop had also set fire to pictures of Morrissey outside his record company offices around their EP’s release. This was dismissed as a press stunt by some at the time, but given Morrissey’s ramping up of anti-immigrant statements over the years – including wearing a badge celebrating the far-right For Britain party on America’s Jimmy Fallon show last May – it now seems on the money.

“What’s changed now is people have this phrase, and I think it’s a lovely phrase, called ‘white privilege’,” Singh says, looking back. “That’s what Morrissey had, that ability to just continue regardless – Clapton had it too.” He’s referring to Clapton’s drunken on-stage rant in 1976, saying that Britain was “overcrowded”, and that his fans should vote for Enoch Powell. That action prompted the creation of Rock Against Racism (Clapton has since said he feels “shame” about those remarks).

“Clapton then surrounded himself with black people, and now Morrissey’s doing the same,” says Singh, meaning Motown singer Thelma Houston, with whom Morrissey duetted on his recent single, Bobby, Don’t You Think They Know? “It was hard for Cornershop to make our stand then, because we were pulling a lot of disparate things together. We couldn’t just say, look at his badge. Look at his support of Tommy Robinson.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Another Bragg type non-entity from the past name dropping/slagging Morrissey to get some publicity. Despite what certain loons think Morrissey still has the pulling power that most of that era can't even dream of, calling him out will guarantee column inches from the joke MSM. Nothing to see here.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...r-singh-brexit-morrissey-music-england-garden

Extract:

"On No Rock: Save in Roll you’ll also hear a discreet sitar; this musical synthesis is everywhere in Cornershop’s back catalogue, a musical response, perhaps, to how difficult assimilation has been for them in other ways. In 1993 their first EP’s lead track, England’s Dreaming, injected indie with the spirit of protest, fusing lyrics from the Smiths’ Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now and Public Enemy (“I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour/Fight the Power!”).

This protest was about Morrissey, who had draped himself in a union jack at a Madness gig in summer 1992, when the flag was very much a symbol of the far right. He had also released controversial songs such as The National Front Disco and Bengali in Platforms, the latter addressing an immigrant to Britain wanting to assimilate (“shelve your western plans/and understand/That life is hard enough when you belong here”). Cornershop had also set fire to pictures of Morrissey outside his record company offices around their EP’s release. This was dismissed as a press stunt by some at the time, but given Morrissey’s ramping up of anti-immigrant statements over the years – including wearing a badge celebrating the far-right For Britain party on America’s Jimmy Fallon show last May – it now seems on the money.

“What’s changed now is people have this phrase, and I think it’s a lovely phrase, called ‘white privilege’,” Singh says, looking back. “That’s what Morrissey had, that ability to just continue regardless – Clapton had it too.” He’s referring to Clapton’s drunken on-stage rant in 1976, saying that Britain was “overcrowded”, and that his fans should vote for Enoch Powell. That action prompted the creation of Rock Against Racism (Clapton has since said he feels “shame” about those remarks).

“Clapton then surrounded himself with black people, and now Morrissey’s doing the same,” says Singh, meaning Motown singer Thelma Houston, with whom Morrissey duetted on his recent single, Bobby, Don’t You Think They Know? “It was hard for Cornershop to make our stand then, because we were pulling a lot of disparate things together. We couldn’t just say, look at his badge. Look at his support of Tommy Robinson.”
"White Privilege" is not usually associated with working class people of Irish Catholic origin who were treated like shit by the British for long enough to have a right to speak their minds. Singh needs to take a broader look at history before he puts Morrissey in the same category as Eric Clapton.
If Morrissey wants to unashamedly wear the flag of his parents adoptive country and appropriate it as his own, then that's his right. It's OK for Stormzy as Banksy designed the Union Jack vest and the Guardian did an approving article.
Singh of course does not refer to WHY Morrissey drew attention to outsiders like Tommy Robinson/Anne Marie Waters. The inverted Racism in grooming gangs targeting working class disenfranchised white children, and the only ones talking about them are easy to spot and dare you refer to them , you are easy to label. Racist of course. Singh is another twit with all the cliched answers.

...certain loons think Morrissey still has the pulling power that most of that era can't even dream of... Nothing to see here

Fixed that for you.

The only thing Morrissey has the power to pull are his own dick and YOUR chain.

Fak Arf.

I don't mind the Cornershop guy being an idiot, but you think it might occur to a journalist that Ireland was colonised by England & had an uprising to escape the British Empire.

It's not just that they're being unfair to Morrissey by spending 37 years cobbling this narrative together out of separate issues, it's that they're erasing Irish Catholic history while they're doing it.

Cornershop is a really good band. It's a shame Moz has validated their stance against him with his open support of horrid racists like Tommy Robinson.

Obviously the fact that he is asian does not mean he should have to shoulder any responsibility for grooming gangs. The fact i am white doesn't mean i am associated with any white paedophiles. Some pretty appalling posts on this above

I admire Moz's persistent desire to be at one with his Englishness, but every so often (for a wee rest) it's wise to run back to Ma. ?

Lovin' how all these folks got worked up about Moz doin' at song with Thelma Houston.
Some say Moz just did it to prove he ain't racist.
Some got confused Moz did it cause they like thinkin' Moz is racist.
Some even disrespect Thelma and say she only did it for the digits.
Meanwhile, ya got Wild T over here Turkey Steppin' and enjoyin' a darn good tune!
like your style mr turkey.

Cornershop is a really good band. It's a shame Moz has validated their stance against him with his open support of horrid racists like Tommy Robinson.

Obviously the fact that he is asian does not mean he should have to shoulder any responsibility for grooming gangs. The fact i am white doesn't mean i am associated with any white paedophiles. Some pretty appalling posts on this above

No one said he should 'shoulder responsibility' - we're saying his interpretation of recent politics & of Morrissey's ethnic background is missing some vital information.

'This protest was about Morrissey, who had draped himself in a union jack at a Madness gig in summer 1992, when the flag was very much a symbol of the far right.'

Less than 24 months later the Union Jack is everywhere as the music media celebrates 'Britpop.' Hmmmmmm.

your also not outside morrisseys record company ripping up photos of morrisseys coupon,dont tell me, photographers were present.grandstanding on a grand scale.ps can you point out the appalling posts on this thread.

your also not outside morrisseys record company ripping up photos of morrisseys coupon,dont tell me, photographers were present.grandstanding on a grand scale.ps can you point out the appalling posts on this thread.
Well this is awkward...it was you who mentioned asian grooming gangs!

:swear

Still furious on behalf of the Irish diaspora. Never enrage a Celt. It won't end. ?

???????????

'This protest was about Morrissey, who had draped himself in a union jack at a Madness gig in summer 1992, when the flag was very much a symbol of the far right.'

Less than 24 months later the Union Jack is everywhere as the music media celebrates 'Britpop.' Hmmmmmm.

It's alright to hold a Union Jack as long as you're not Irish.

still waiting on the appalling posts.
Well, i felt there was no reason to mention them, other than to fuel racist feeling towards Tjinder, so i was appalled.
At the time, i felt the protest at the record company was a bit lame - felt like they were trying to increase their profile by knocking Moz, who hadn't done much to warrant it at the time. But now, he has validated the protest with all his alt right bollocks. Which is a shame. Meanwhile, Tjinder has made some excellent records.
Not too sure how grooming gangs fit into all this!

Well, i felt there was no reason to mention them, other than to fuel racist feeling towards Tjinder, so i was appalled.
At the time, i felt the protest at the record company was a bit lame - felt like they were trying to increase their profile by knocking Moz, who hadn't done much to warrant it at the time. But now, he has validated the protest with all his alt right bollocks. Which is a shame. Meanwhile, Tjinder has made some excellent records.
Not too sure how grooming gangs fit into all this!

He's Sikh. He's not in the group the gangs mostly come from... The point is, they're ignoring other issues & factors to keep smearing Morrissey.

The Guardian ran an article the other day pretty much accusing any non-Muslim Asian who voted Tory of Islamophobia, but Moz is the racist folk demon they have to slay?

It's all bollocks.

Unless you are happy in soon becoming a despised white minority in your own country (a place you will soon no longer recognize), you are according to the Guardian, an evil racist.

Therefore being called a 'racist' simply means you are sane and haven't been mentally re-conditioned by woke crazies.

So if Morrissey is 'racist' then more power to his elbow.

He's Sikh. He's not in the group the gangs mostly come from... The point is, they're ignoring other issues & factors to keep smearing Morrissey.

The Guardian ran an article the other day pretty much accusing any non-Muslim Asian who voted Tory of Islamophobia, but Moz is the racist folk demon they have to slay?

It's all bollocks.
It doesn't really matter what ethnic group they are from. Sexual exploitation has no colour. Tjinder wasn't asked about that, so it's not relevant here. But he was asked about Moz, so he answered. Tjinder understandably feels vindicated cos of M's recent antics. I wish Moz hadn't created this situation

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom