If anyone is the new Morrissey, it's Stephin Merritt...

X

Xymox

Merritt's lyrics are witty and absolutely brilliant, and his music is some of the catchiest available. The Magnetic Fields are DEFINATELY worth checking out if you want to get the same feeling you did the first time you listened to "Unloveable" or "Half A Person".. I don't think anyone outside of Morrissey himself has managed to capture the depth of emotion with such wit, irony, and sincerity in a succinct fashion attached to catchy pop hooks. His other bands, Future Bible Heroes (think Erasure meets New Order) and The Gothic Archies (think The Cure with deeper vocals). Merritt's voice reminds me of the singer of Human League, or perhaps even Ian Curtis if Ian had had a better sense of melody and tune. Anyone else appreciate Merritt as much as I do?

Check it out!

> Anyone else appreciate Merritt as much as I do?

I'll cast a vote for Merritt, as well. Nobody does witty,depressive songs as well as Stephin (besides, well, you know...).

OK, maybe Jarvis. and Ian Curtis truly was the master of depressive rock (but you can't very well vote for Ian Curits as the new Moz).

If I had to hand out the title of 'King of pain', those are my favorites.

Back
Top Bottom