Ian Curtis To Have 'The' Bridge Named After Him

...For suicidal people to jump off it? What a lovely thought.:) I'm sure he'd be dead. Pleased.

"We believe if this campaign succeeded, we'd be putting Hulme back on the map, restoring some local pride, creating another reason for people to visit our city and saluting a local legend"

What a load of old tosh. What next? The old Derby Halls in Bury can rename itself the Joy Division Riot Room? Not that Bury needs this kind of exposure when it already has it's "World Famous Market" :D

"We believe if this campaign succeeded, we'd be putting Hulme back on the map, restoring some local pride, creating another reason for people to visit our city and saluting a local legend"

What a load of old tosh. What next? The old Derby Halls in Bury can rename itself the Joy Division Riot Room? Not that Bury needs this kind of exposure when it already has it's "World Famous Market" :D

Nice one Brel
Didn't realise until a few weeks ago (doing a bit of research for an upcoming book:thumb:) that The Derby Halls is now The Met:guitar:

Jukebox Jury

...For suicidal people to jump off it? What a lovely thought.:) I'm sure he'd be dead. Pleased.

That was my first thought.

Would he really be remembered if not for the suicide? If you wanted to do some good, why not name a mental health drop in centre after him and as he died young, cater it toward that age group.

Local Pride!!!!!! Sing one good one and kill yourself. By the way, the film Control is on Film4 this week.

That was my first thought.

Would he really be remembered if not for the suicide? If you wanted to do some good, why not name a mental health drop in centre after him and as he died young, cater it toward that age group.

Local Pride!!!!!! Sing one good one and kill yourself. By the way, the film Control is on Film4 this week.

We could always name the airport after him......just like the Scousers did after one of their own:rolleyes:

As for ''would he have been remembered...'', it's a difficult one as death always immortalises in a way that living doesn't.....
Would Curt Cobain be huge 20 years on if he was still alive, or would he just be another ''good at that moment'' rock star?
There is a long list of film stars / rock stars who died young and without being disrespectful, earned far more through death than when alive.

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
We could always name the airport after him......just like the Scousers did after one of their own:rolleyes:

As for ''would he have been remembered...'', it's a difficult one as death always immortalises in a way that living doesn't.....
Would Curt Cobain be huge 20 years on if he was still alive, or would he just be another ''good at that moment'' rock star?
There is a long list of film stars / rock stars who died young and without being disrespectful, earned far more through death than when alive.

Jukebox Jury

Are you really comparing John Lennon to Ian Curtis?

There are alot more worthy people. Didn't Morrissey spend part of this childhood in Hulme? Didn't Morrissey like Iron bridges? makes sense.

My problem is there choice of person but if they must honour Curtis, a mental health centre makes more sense.........then a suicide bridge

JJ - did you post this to draw attention to the comments section at the end of the article which state that City have just scored 3 goals in 8 mins.... and to plug your new book on the musical history of Manchester (what's the book called)..... bloody well done my good man:p:thumb:

Are you really comparing John Lennon to Ian Curtis?

There are alot more worthy people. Didn't Morrissey spend part of this childhood in Hulme? Didn't Morrissey like Iron bridges? makes sense.

My problem is there choice of person but if they must honour Curtis, a mental health centre makes more sense.........then a suicide bridge

No, not compring Lemon with Curtis.... just my disliking of naming airports after pop stars and footballers (George Best airport is another example - and not because he was a united player, but the choice is popularist and made at a time when no one can so no...)

Jukebox Jury

No, not compring Lemon with Curtis.... just my disliking of naming airports after pop stars and footballers (George Best airport is another example - and not because he was a united player, but the choice is popularist and made at a time when no one can so no...)

Jukebox Jury

It was in 2002 that it was named after John Lennon, twenty-two years after Lennon's death.

The connection is that Lennon and The Beatles regularly used the airport on their travels in the early days of the band.

It was in 2002 that it was named after John Lennon, twenty-two years after Lennon's death.

The connection is that Lennon and The Beatles regularly used the airport on their travels in the early days of the band.

I meant George Best's death, not Lemon's.
The Beatles used Speake airport in the early days?????? Was it even an airport then.....shurley shome mishtake?

Jukebox Jury

JJ - did you post this to draw attention to the comments section at the end of the article which state that City have just scored 3 goals in 8 mins.... and to plug your new book on the musical history of Manchester (what's the book called)..... bloody well done my good man:p:thumb:

*cough, splutter*
I didn't see the comments section.....honest....but yes City did score 3 goals in 8 minutes:guitar:
And as for the forthcoming book.....(ahem) yes, this bridge will be included....(no title yet though:thumb:)

Jukebox Jury

I think they went to Hamburg on the ferry and to New York via Speke Airport.

Back
Top Bottom