Iam Curtis - 30 years on

I listened to 'Closer' today. French public radio will play the 12/18/1979 gig at the Bains Douches at 10pm this evening.

Last edited:
Re: Ian Curtis - 30 years on

"A Joy Division symphony is to be created as part of a series of events to mark the 30th anniversary of the death of the band's singer Ian Curtis.

The Northern Chamber Orchestra will work with schoolchildren in Curtis's home town of Macclesfield, Cheshire, to compose the work.

Curtis committed suicide on 18 May 1980. A map, including the house where he took his life, is also being sold.

And an exhibition will include items such as letters, posters and set lists.

It will include a handwritten note from Curtis about the group's acclaimed second album Closer, in which he wrote: "This LP is a disaster."

The exhibition, curated by journalist Jon Savage, will be staged at the town's 1813 Sunday School Heritage Centre from 29 July until 7 August."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment_and_arts/10121186.stm

I can hardly believe it's exactly 30 years ago tonight.
Where does the time go ? :confused:

Re: Ian Curtis - 30 years on

Hang out might be the wrong choice of words.

I've been listening to them all day and have my Unknown Pleasures shirt, he was so amazing.

Why do they call it his death, his death, his death, instead of his suicide? Because you can't really celebrate the anniversary of a suicide I guess. I love their music, but this seems strange to me, personally.

It's not that he should be thought less of, but it's a shame that his suicide is part of a legend for many people, and a tribute to celebrate the anniversary of his death seems to be a celebration of his suicide, in a way.

Why do they call it his death, his death, his death, instead of his suicide? Because you can't really celebrate the anniversary of a suicide I guess. I love their music, but this seems strange to me, personally.

It's not that he should be thought less of, but it's a shame that his suicide is part of a legend for many people, and a tribute to celebrate the anniversary of his death seems to be a celebration of his suicide, in a way.

I'm not sure about that. People will never forget Jeff Buckey, or when and how he died.
Suicide is caused by an illness after all. A devastating illness. Since he did die why not call it 'his death'?

I'm not sure about that. People will never forget Jeff Buckey, or when and how he died.
Suicide is caused by an illness after all. A devastating illness. Since he did die why not call it 'his death'?

The point was in two parts. One is that they are celebrating his suicide. Two is that they are not calling it his suicide because that makes it seem okay. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade of hopelessness and despair, but this seemed strange to me.

The point was in two parts. One is that they are celebrating his suicide. Two is that they are not calling it his suicide because that makes it seem okay. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade of hopelessness and despair, but this seemed strange to me.

I think they were celebrating his life, and remembering his death. Or suicide. Why would anyone celebrate his suicide?
I don't know what parade of hopelessness & despair you're talking
about. His death was a tragedy.

A couple of years ago there were reports that epilepsy drugs are now thought to be associated with a higher risk of suicide, and ever since reading that I've wondered if the drugs he was on either were the main cause or put him over the edge.

A quick google:
http://www.webmd.com/epilepsy/news/20080131/suicide-risk-from-11-epilepsy-drugs

I wonder how different things would have been if the drugs available today were available then. He was devastated by his epilepsy and it
seemed it couldn't be controlled.

Suicide is not ALWAYS caused by depression.

Well, untreated depression is the number one cause of suicide. Other untreated mental illnesses are also causes.
90% of people who commit suicide are mentally ill at the time.

So sorry, I guess I should have said 9 out of 10 suicides are caused by untreated mental illness.

Back
Top Bottom