'I Wish You Lonely' next single...? Update - Official Lyric video posted

UPDATE Oct. 25:

Posted by Famous when dead:

The lyric video had resurfaced:

Also posted as a single on Spotify:

...if there are indeed such things as 'singles' anymore?

about an hour ago í got sent an e-mail update from the MorrisseyVEVO account announcing that they had just uploaded a new video 'I Wish You Lonely (Official Lyric Video) '.

By the time í saw the e-mail and clicked the link, the upload had been removed.

Just in time for Xmas...? :p

Posted by Famous when dead:

Oh...and this too:

Last edited by a moderator:
Also worth noting that the stdib lyric video is thirty thousand views away from hitting one million on YouTube

My take:
This song actually relates a bit to the album cover -
The Army have pledged an oath for decades ("I, (Insert full name), do swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to HRH... , her heirs and successors, according to law. So help me God"), he seems to be wishing lonely upon that very person (and people of similar power) - to engender some form of empathy for the dead.
Given the high rate of returning soldiers that don't die in tombs and actually end up homeless and addicted (hence Heroin), I think he's implying death is still a huge risk when not in her/their employ.
That all ties in to the usual hate the Queen rhetoric and is the closest to 'axe the Monarchy' we've got so far.
Happy to be wrong, that's what it depicts to myself.
Regards,
FWD.

Having given it several listens now, the line about "tombs are full of fools" seems purposefully designed as a triplet, containing multiple ideas, rather than just a recurring critique of soldiers (which he's done before, in "I'm Not a Man" with the "slow Joe/who signed up to go").

First round ---> don't do your "duty"
Second round --> don't fall for "romance"
Third round --> don't fall into the romance of addiction

The entire lyric seems to me like a call for individualism ("never giving in!") in the face of pressures to conform in some way. It's very defiant. I like it. Who doesn't shake a fist in the air with the final line?

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom