'I Wish You Lonely' next single...? Update - Official Lyric video posted

UPDATE Oct. 25:

Posted by Famous when dead:

The lyric video had resurfaced:

Also posted as a single on Spotify:

...if there are indeed such things as 'singles' anymore?

about an hour ago í got sent an e-mail update from the MorrisseyVEVO account announcing that they had just uploaded a new video 'I Wish You Lonely (Official Lyric Video) '.

By the time í saw the e-mail and clicked the link, the upload had been removed.

Just in time for Xmas...? :p

Posted by Famous when dead:

Oh...and this too:

Last edited by a moderator:
My take:
This song actually relates a bit to the album cover -
The Army have pledged an oath for decades ("I, (Insert full name), do swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to HRH... , her heirs and successors, according to law. So help me God"), he seems to be wishing lonely upon that very person (and people of similar power) - to engender some form of empathy for the dead.
Given the high rate of returning soldiers that don't die in tombs and actually end up homeless and addicted (hence Heroin), I think he's implying death is still a huge risk when not in her/their employ.
That all ties in to the usual hate the Queen rhetoric and is the closest to 'axe the Monarchy' we've got so far.
Happy to be wrong, that's what it depicts to myself.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
My take:
The Army have pledged an oath for decades ("I, (Insert full name), do swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to HRH... , her heirs and successors, according to law. So help me God"), he seems to be wishing lonely upon that very person (and people of similar power) - to engender some form of empathy for the dead.
Given the high rate of returning soldiers that don't die in tombs and actually end up homeless and addicted (hence Heroin), I think he's imply death is still a huge risk when not in her/their employ.
That all ties in to the usual hate the Queen rhetoric and is the closest to 'axe the Monarchy' we've got so far.
Regards,
FWD.

I hear part of what you're saying FWD.

Fools/soldiers who gave their lives for their idiot leaders:

"Tombs are full of fools who gave their life upon command
Of monarchy, oligarch, head of state, potentate
And now never coming back, never coming back"

Loved-up fools that have committed suicide/murder; "Romance gone wrong". Same old, same old "and never coming true". Their love will never become true love.

Of Romance gone wrong
The same old glue and never coming true, never true"

Those fools that gave their lives to heroin. The way he says heroin confirms this:

Oh heroin, heroin, heroin, heroin, heroin
And never coming back, never coming back"

My take:
Given the high rate of returning soldiers that don't die in tombs and actually end up homeless and addicted (hence Heroin), I think he's implying death is still a huge risk when not in her/their employ.
Regards,
FWD.
Me thinks you're onto something. Happy to be right.

i listen to it as being a celebration or worship of independence, mainly as personal freedom, including three warnings of situations in which people who made themselves dependent have either died or were disillusioned. the whale is a very positive symbol of freedom in this song. it does as it wishes. there is also more whale song in the middle part shortly before the song's caesura, the septuple moaning chorus. the following three warnings can be compared to the three spirits in dicken's christmas carol, of past, present and yet-to-come, maybe, could be wrong though. but i think there is something allegorical about the song.
anyways, the gunship from bergen is trying to destroy the happy whale's bliss of freedom and solitude, shooting its harpoons (the duties that dependency brings along) at the animal. but, as the animal is not giving in, there is still hope, though the whale's equanimity is constantly agitated by the outside world of stress and obligations. so, for me, iwyl is topically a sequel to stdib

I actually liked this track from first listen, but that changed when I heard the lyrics "tombs full of fools who gave their life on command". As someone with two members of my family who died at very young ages serving this country, I take offence, neither of these men were fools. I must be getting touchy in my old age as no-one else has mentioned this, but sorry its how I feel :(
I'm sorry to hear that. I can't imagine what that must have been like.

Morrissey is often like a relative who says what they think regardless of who it hurts. I know people who have been hurt by the lyrics of 'November Spawned A Monster'. His comments in interviews are very often at the expense of everyone else. I remember Robert Smith saying years ago that his wife (Mary) used to give out to him about the number of groups he slags off in his interviews, and he tried to rein it in, realizing that a wittily cutting remark can sometimes really hurt other people. I don't see Moz ever taking advice on-board like that though! Who is there to ever stand up to him anyway? I'm sure all his people are yes people, and obviously that is an unhealthy way to live. Perhaps Moz is the second Peter Pan, never having to grow up.
I remember Moz slagging off people who spend any time waiting outside a supermarket for their partner to finish shopping. I'm sorry but that's most people. We don't all get to spend our lives in hotels. Wouldn't want to either.

Morrissey is often like a relative who says what they think regardless of who it hurts. I know people who have been hurt by the lyrics of 'November Spawned A Monster'. His comments in interviews are very often at the expense of everyone else. I remember Robert Smith saying years ago that his wife (Mary) used to give out to him about the number of groups he slags off in his interviews, and he tried to rein it in, realizing that a wittily cutting remark can sometimes really hurt other people. I don't see Moz ever taking advice on-board like that though! Who is there to ever stand up to him anyway? I'm sure all his people are yes people, and obviously that is an unhealthy way to live. Perhaps Moz is the second Peter Pan, never having to grow up.
I remember Moz slagging off people who spend any time waiting outside a supermarket for their partner to finish shopping. I'm sorry but that's most people. We don't all get to spend our lives in hotels. Wouldn't want to either.

This song is not an historical analysis, it's a wish for the future. "Tombs are full of fools" is a warning against bad decisions, that is, don't trust your life to others (powerful people, lovers, substances). It's a calling to take our own life's responsibilities by ourselves. Don't let others use you for their own interests, think for yourself, be free and never give in to others. "I wish you lonely", "to hell with everybody else". That's my personal interpretation of the message of the song.

'I don't see Moz ever taking advice on-board like that though!'

:rock::thumb:

'I'm sorry but that's most people.'

boo-hoo! :lbf:... supermarket parking lots are are full of tools waiting for their spouse...

Are we SURE this is actually a bona fide second single? It is common these days for there to be an official single (sent to radio) then a promotional single or two (not sent to radio but streamed and posted on social media) before an official second single. I think it's a very good track but lacks the kind of hook needed for radio. Oh I listened again. Maybe I'm wrong. I really dig this tho'

Are we SURE this is actually a bona fide second single? It is common these days for there to be an official single (sent to radio) then a promotional single or two (not sent to radio but streamed and posted on social media) before an official second single. I think it's a very good track but lacks the kind of hook needed for radio.

I think they just released another track for fans to hear and to get a few headlines here and there. He still seems to be pushing stdib

Are we SURE this is actually a bona fide second single? It is common these days for there to be an official single (sent to radio) then a promotional single or two (not sent to radio but streamed and posted on social media) before an official second single. I think it's a very good track but lacks the kind of hook needed for radio. Oh I listened again. Maybe I'm wrong. I really dig this tho'

I don't think it is a single. It's just a sampler from the new album, an "instant grat" as I believe they are known.

Not sure has it been pointed out earlier, and I could definitely be overthinking this, BUT:

Now that we're approaching Remembrance Day and 'Poppy season', will stations be hesitant to play a song that refers to solders as 'fools' who died for nothing?

Just a thought.

Now that we're approaching Remembrance Day and 'Poppy season', will stations be hesitant to play a song that refers to solders as 'fools' who died for nothing?

Just a thought.
:lbf: just in time !

Anyways, the airwaves are usually jammed with continuous play of this song ...

;)

'
I cry
But I can't buy your Veteran's Day poppy
It don't get me high
It can only make me cry
It can never grow another son
Like the one who warmed me
My days after rain, and warmed my breath
My life's blood
Screamin', empty, she cries
It don't get me high
It can only make me cry
Your Veteran Day poppy'

This song is not an historical analysis, it's a wish for the future. "Tombs are full of fools" is a warning against bad decisions, that is, don't trust your life to others (powerful people, lovers, substances). It's a calling to take our own life's responsibilities by ourselves. Don't let others use you for their own interests, think for yourself, be free and never give in to others. "I wish you lonely", "to hell with everybody else". That's my personal interpretation of the message of the song.

There's also this: fool "1.1 archaic A person who is duped or imposed on."
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/fool

Has anyone heard of any radio stations playing it yet?

I'm so DISAPOINTED !!! The first time I'm feeling so sad for Morrissey, my favorite singer for ever... I have ridden here on this site all the negative comments and was ready to protect him. But now I have to recognize that I am afraid with the final result ? It's the very first time that I doubt and I have a very strange feeling : could I listen his 3 last records with respect because I liked so much his work in the 80"s and his 90"s. When I listen 1 week ago his masterpiece with the smiths (the Queen ), I understood how was fckg good his music, how I loved his voice : so much more natural than nowadays. He sings now very professionally but we can listen now his work on tremolo. I prefer his young voice, so more perfectly but it touched me in the earth. I liked when he sang no so high like now. He begin a song now with ever high notes : like "let me kiss you", "you have killed me". All times when I listened his music with friends who were no fans and not prepared, they could'nt support his voice ! And that's the paradox because all fans venerate his lovely voice. Because I suggest that the songs now are so caricatural and so deeply developed to make us feel how beautiful his voice is... a really crooner for fans but a horse for others...now I want to speak about production here : it's awful: a mix between dépêche mode and Radiohead ( but I estim their work so much than this one !). How poor is it God !!! I live in Russia and I'm familiar with that level! But a LP from Morrissey, he's a talented artist and we could expect for him a real artistic production ... like "Future Present" for exemple from the Strokes if he wanted to take this direction... For my opinion, I prefer ever "I wish you lonely" in live version and I'm so surprised to read that many here think this one better !!! I'm really sad because I will buy his new LP but I didn't wait more than level from World Peace-YOR-RoT and probably worse -((( and this is the very first time that I have this feeling -(((

Morrissey is not a new one in the music industry and they seem so lazy to product his music. Is it a lack of self appreciation from Moz? And where is Boz genius (who contribute to masterpieces like "Vauxhall" ) he can't open his ears? . I will dream that morrissey sing over music like Sharon Van Ettan (for example...). Musically Less catchy but so much more mature. Morrissey ... you need to grow up and don't ridiculize yourself like that !!! Or you will break down soon your legend ! Fans have ears too and you can't continue to Hide your loose behind masterpieces from 80's and 90's. It remember me the classical fable (I don't remember whom?) of a King who presented himself to the crowd nude because his subjects couldn't open his eyes and could'nt reveal their king that his new tunique was a fake... but Love Moz for ever !

no one will play this dull whining plod along, it will only appeal to the loyalist mis guided fan who thinks Morrissey can do no wrong, look at what bands like arcade fire are doing at the min, boz must be just stacking up his pension pot to be putting up with this tripe.

I usually just do the shopping with her. Unless it's clothes, and then I'd rather just stay home and waste 4 hours where I'm comfortable, instead of perched outside of a ladies dressing room like a perverted vulture.

I find this radio friendly in a pleasing way. Irish Blood English Heart sounded funny on the radio, but I enjoyed hearing it in the car. Just like I'd enjoy drumming my thumbs against the wheel to this.

You mean this one?

"You don't develop when you're with someone else. You put your own feelings on hold and you end up doing things like driving to supermarkets and waiting outside shops - ludicrous things like that."

He also said things like:

"Not vandals as such, but more than likely to be those blandly smiling families, out for the day, restless and careless, the earth belonging only to them and their smelly children as they advance decay wherever they go."

“I don’t want to be any kind of happy couple with a photograph on the television set. I find it embarrassing.”

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom