'I feel like I've been had': Morrissey's collaborators respond to his politics - The Guardian

Link retweeted by @ericacalil:

'I feel like I've been had': Morrissey's collaborators respond to his politics - The Guardian
The former Smiths singer’s new album features guest spots from Billie Joe Armstrong and Grizzly Bear’s Ed Droste. Are they not put off by his increasingly unpleasant right-wing stance?

Excerpt:

As US music magazine the Fader asked: “What possible reason could any of these people have for lining up behind Morrissey now?”

Droste declined to comment. The only artist willing to speak with the Guardian was Canadian vocalist Ariel Engle, who performs with cult indie outfit Broken Social Scene. She received a call from the American producer Joe Chiccarelli asking her to contribute backing vocals for a cover of Joni Mitchell’s Don’t Interrupt the Sorrow. “I thought, ‘Oh the Smiths, sure’,” she says. “It was $500 for two hours’ work.”

Engle says she didn’t become aware of Morrissey’s political views until the album was announced and a friend emailed to question her involvement. “It’s a very weak argument to claim ignorance,” she says, “but it is my argument. It’s not an excuse but it happens to be the truth.”

Morrissey’s manager, Peter Katsis, says he is unaware of statements made by any guest vocalists, but that the intention of the covers album was supposed to be fun. “This is where his head is at,” he says. “Maybe enough has been said with the last few albums being political.” Of Morrissey’s political views, Katsis says: “I manage his artistic career and sometimes I have to deal with things he says, but it’s not for me to comment.”

Chiccarelli echoes Katsis’s sentiment. “I can’t speak to Moz’s politics,” he says. “I’m a record-maker. I’ve known him 10 years and he’s been a gentleman and a pleasure. I consider him a friend.” When asked about the far-right figures for whom Morrissey has expressed support, Chiccarelli says: “I’d really have to research it and see if it crossed a particular line for me.”

Engle says that learning of Morrissey’s political opinions has left a “bad taste”, and that she stands in opposition to his views. “The inflammatory things he says are not my politics. I think he’s completely out of line. I grew up around multiculturalism and I am the product of multiculturalism and immigration. I feel like I’ve been had, but it’s my fault.”

The American singer LP offered a statement through a PR representative: “As I’m a huge fan of his music and poetry, I was honoured to be asked to collaborate on the album.” Representatives for Lydia Night of California band the Regrettes offered no comment, but the 18-year-old told punk magazine Kerrang!: “I’ve grown up loving the Smiths – my cat’s name is Morrissey!” Representatives for Armstrong said he was in the studio and therefore unreachable.

The guest stars on California Son are all North American, suggesting a difference between perceptions of the former Smiths frontman in the US and UK. Katsis, who is American, sees the critical focus on Morrissey’s politics as a British preoccupation.

“I don’t think they know enough about it to care about it,” he says of Morrissey’s US fans. “I don’t feel knowledgable enough to comment on British politics, therefore it’s probably not as important to me or the international fans as it is to UK fans. This whole thing has had me perplexed. The subjects are very complicated and dividing.”

The figures bear out Morrissey’s enduring support across the Atlantic. He ended 2018 with arena shows in North and South America, and has announced his first Canadian tour in 20 years for this April. In November 2017, Los Angeles City Council declared 10 November “Morrissey Day”.

“In America, he tends to be seen as the rock star who sang about queer life and spoke openly about feminism when nobody else did,” says Rolling Stone critic Rob Sheffield. “These two images define him, and he’s still seen in terms of his pioneering place in history. His grumpy old age is not really held against him. Americans tend not to follow UK politics very closely, so when he makes mind-blowingly offensive statements there might be outrage or humiliation for a few days, or hours, but then it’s back to listening to The Queen Is Dead”.

Media coverage:

Last edited:
He can certainly say whatever he likes. But spending money to support a racist, misogynistic person like Morrissey just makes one a supporter of his world view by proxy.

You cannot separate Morrissey the individual from Morrissey the singer.

If you want to spend money on Morrissey fine, but you don’t get to distance yourself from the ideology he supports when you are basically giving him livelihood. Pah.

:rolleyes:

today must be beer day for the lumpen proletariat.:crazy:

He can certainly say whatever he likes. But spending money to support a racist, misogynistic person like Morrissey just makes one a supporter of his world view by proxy.

You cannot separate Morrissey the individual from Morrissey the singer.

If you want to spend money on Morrissey fine, but you don’t get to distance yourself from the ideology he supports when you are basically giving him livelihood. Pah.

The bar is pretty low these days, but congratulations on posting possibly the most idiotic, thick as pig shit post ever submitted to Solo...and this is a site frequented by Skinny and Surface.

Just read your own words for a few seconds and reflect upon what you are saying.

When you have thought it through, try writing something not quite so moronic.

I don’t need to reread what I wrote. It made sense when I originally posted it and still does in this moment. Maybe you’re too thick to understand.

The bar is pretty low these days, but congratulations on posting possibly the most idiotic, thick as pig shit post ever submitted to Solo...and this is a site frequented by Skinny and Surface.

Just read your own words for a few seconds and reflect upon what you are saying.

In psychology it is well known that everybody is racist - black, brown, white, yellow. From insects to animals to humans we are all sceptical of the other. It is how any species survives, by noticing difference, by discriminating and responding accordingly.

"Racism is okay because animals notice colors"

wtf

Racism is natural. That's what reel was getting at with the animals. You're either intentionally punching a straw man or you're too dim to understand what she was saying. I wouldn't call you dim for having a different opinion, but "Racism is okay because animals notice colors" obviously a gross oversimplificaton.

Everyone is instinctively racist. I agree. You disagree. Why?
You could've just downvoted the post if you're not going to argue against it. "WTFF" isn't a rebuttal.

I think there needs to be a new term defined, where you are racist but you don't make a big song and dance about it. There are child molesters, fraudsters and cranks. I don't think racism, as heinous as it is, fits into that category. We need to coin a new term for not being comfortable with outsiders other than an 'ism' ill call it 'insuralism'

I stopped listening to Morrissey after his shift in political leaning. It was his music that pulled me out of a right-white nationalist stance in 1993 at 15. At my late 30s/ early 40s to see and hear what Moz has become is heartbreaking to me. So I just walk away.
You're not the only one who feels this way, believe me.

I think there needs to be a new term defined, where you are racist but you don't make a big song and dance about it. There are child molesters, fraudsters and cranks. I don't think racism, as heinous as it is, fits into that category. We need to coin a new term for not being comfortable with outsiders other than an 'ism' ill call it 'insuralism'

Next time you get a bus, taxi, go for a curry, see a doctor, get treated in hospital, get driven by someone whose colour or beliefs you don't like, I hope you'll turn and walk away. Otherwise you'll be massive f***ing hypocrite, right?

I stopped listening to Morrissey after his shift in political leaning. It was his music that pulled me out of a right-white nationalist stance in 1993 at 15. At my late 30s/ early 40s to see and hear what Moz has become is heartbreaking to me. So I just walk away.
f*** off then

Next time you get a bus, taxi, go for a curry, see a doctor, get treated in hospital, get driven by someone whose colour or beliefs you don't like, I hope you'll turn and walk away. Otherwise you'll be massive f***ing hypocrite, right?
No bus

This is what I say about racism. I had a brilliant chat in the taxi earlier. He was taking me out to drink and that's all I care about. I'm afraid to say if there's not a drink involved I'm not bothered about anything else.

th

I don't think so Raggy. Saying one can be selectively judgmental about race is like declaring to be somewhat pregnant.

I think you meant "insularism" above, but you said "we" (not sure who the collective we is) need a term other than an 'ism' and yet you offered one. :confused:

There has been much written here about this subject, but in the end it doesn't really matter because "we" are all here together now at this time and in the places "we" live. You can either accept that or fight it. Let me know how fighting it goes, I predict not well.

There were representatives from the epilepsy charity there today and thanked him during a question and answer session before the sale. We came away empty handed, hubby wanted a signed single ...it went for £11,800.....also some chimes used on Atmosphere, guide price of £500, they went eventually for £5,800, he did bid but thank goodness he was out bid.
Bloody hell, there must have been some serious collectors there. Saying that a lot of Hookys stuff were one offs I suppose.

For a great cause,

But were they really chimes? If so that person who paid 500 for them is going to feel had .....

‘according to Steve in Simon Reynold's 'Totally Wired' book they actually used a tambourine plus effects to get that sound, despite what some people would have you believe.

From the book...

Quote:
That is a tambourine, balanced on a pair of scissors and put through effects. There was an AMS delay - it fed back into itself - and then it's just me going 'ping'. And the rest of it is a box going round and round on a delay.’

This is what I say about racism. I had a brilliant chat in the taxi earlier. He was taking me out to drink and that's all I care about. I'm afraid to say if there's not a drink involved I'm not bothered about anything else.
You're truly an original hypocrite, Ragdale Road. Putting up cry-baby posts about how you're so lonely, yet all the while justifying your irrational fear of anyone different in the slightest way to you - a crime to those for whom their expectations are rigid uniformity.
Your "better than" mindset is very much a harmful hindrance to you ever overcoming the social inadequacies that you have. It goes without saying.

Last edited:
You're not the only one who feels this way, believe me.
Your correct, he’s one in a handful. While back in the real world.. Morrissey is selling out shows adding more shows and in general doing quite well.

We'll see if "logistical issues" beyond Morrissey's control impact upon the next European tour. :)

But shouldn’t you be encouraging Raggy to see these people for the services or help they offer so that he’ll realize that these people are intelligent caring human beings and are important in their contributions to society?

Though it seems you just want to encourage more hate between people so you could hate more and be justified in your beliefs.

Edit: only a moron would rate this post ‘troll’.

Last edited:
th

I don't think so Raggy. Saying one can be selectively judgmental about race is like declaring to be somewhat pregnant.

I think you meant "insularism" above, but you said "we" (not sure who the collective we is) need a term other than an 'ism' and yet you offered one. :confused:

There has been much written here about this subject, but in the end it doesn't really matter because "we" are all here together now at this time and in the places "we" live. You can either accept that or fight it. Let me know how fighting it goes, I predict not well.

WTF?
we are all here together now and at this time and in the places we live, as opposed to all being here together now o_O at this time:straightface: and in the places we DONT live:squiffy:

Words of wisdom:crazy:

WTF??
Hooky selling chimes when the tamborine was used???? :censored:
what a Catastrophe!!!!:swear

Tags
california son info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom