How many of you are vegetarians?

Just to say that I've recently started reading a book called The Higher Taste- it discusses the benefits of and arguments for vegetarianism from many different perspectives, but it is in part based on spiritual ideas, in particular Hare Krishna teachings. Lots of recipes and interesting points, I'd recommend it. :)

I was a full-sacle vegetarian for 21 years.

Then I relaxed my policy re fish - and why, even I don't understand?! Something must have changed in my brain chemistry, or why else would I wake up one day craving something I haven't tasted for so long? I can only try to excuse myself by saying "at least they don't typically have a short, miserable life as well as a painful premature death"

Carnivorous Mozzer fans?

I have a question; how many fans here eat meat? I am a lifelong carnivor:eek: (hisses and boos, I know) and a lifelong fan, but I do not link appriciation of one's art to agreement with their personal philosophy or politics. I know I'm not alone here.

I adore the music. I could go on, but true (to-you?) fans understand.
I eat meat.

I know I am not alone in this...

Please, I'm not trying to start a debate on the merits of one diet or the other. We've all heard both sides.

Am I exiled from the greater Morrissey fandomhood?

Re: Carnivorous Mozzer fans?

I am a vegetarian but it has little to do with Morrissey. I was pretty much raised vegetarian and I only ate meat for a couple of years because the people I lived with were meat eaters and I didn't really think about it too much.

Morrissey did influence it in this way, that he made me think about it more deeply. I was aware of the meat industry but I didn't really think about it as much as I do now.

I think carnivorous fans are rare but I don't think your love for Morrissey should be the reason why you go vegetarian. I think you should do it when you think it's the right thing.

aw_jeez_not_this_shit_again2.jpg

butcher-brian-clap_1006729c.jpg

People will always eat dead bodies and the cruelly ripped products of sentient beings, but don't delude yourselves that you don't have a choice in the matter. It's your selfish choice to eat the flesh, blood, shit, pus etc.etc.

People will always eat dead bodies and the cruelly ripped products of sentient beings, but don't delude yourselves that you don't have a choice in the matter. It's your selfish choice to eat the flesh, blood, shit, pus etc.etc.

Good point. Before I became a vegetarian I always used to say "Oh, I could never give up meat", but I've now not touched the stuff since last November, and I've never missed it or had cravings. I think people overestimate how difficult it is to simply stop eating something.

f*** you. Everyone can eat whatever they want to. Who the f*** are you to judge? I suppose you fully support the companies that keep underpaid migrant workers on the payroll, essentially forcing them to live in 3rd world conditions around the world, so you can afford your cheap veggies.

Or the sweatshops in Asia that make your clothes. Or the oil companies that support countries' "rights" to bleed their people dry, keeping their oil money for themselves while forcing the workers to live in conditions you can't dream of.

You have choices, too. You could grow your own flock of sheep and knit your sweaters, or grow your own veggies in your backyard, or ride a bicycle/walk instead of using any type of petrol-based transportation (or petrol-based products like plastic, nylon, etc). But you know what? You choose to exploit those people who have no control of their own lives - just like the rest of us do.

You f***ing assholes like to pick and choose your righteous causes, and then judge everyone else.

f*** you. Everyone can eat whatever they want to. Who the f*** are you to judge? I suppose you fully support the companies that keep underpaid migrant workers on the payroll, essentially forcing them to live in 3rd world conditions around the world, so you can afford your cheap veggies.

Or the sweatshops in Asia that make your clothes. Or the oil companies that support countries' "rights" to bleed their people dry, keeping their oil money for themselves while forcing the workers to live in conditions you can't dream of.

You have choices, too. You could grow your own flock of sheep and knit your sweaters, or grow your own veggies in your backyard, or ride a bicycle/walk instead of using any type of petrol-based transportation (or petrol-based products like plastic, nylon, etc). But you know what? You choose to exploit those people who have no control of their own lives - just like the rest of us do.

You f***ing assholes like to pick and choose your righteous causes, and then judge everyone else.

Surely you responding to Ghost's comment in this way is just as self-righteous as you accused him of being, even if it was said to prove a point. In addition, isn't it a more realistic, doable goal/task to just not buy and eat meat than to never buy or use anything that might have even a tenuous link with human exploitation? Obviously it's awful that it happens in the first place, but even if one does make an effort it's impossible to avoid everything, whilst giving up meat is reasonably simple. I'm not saying you necessarily should, I'm just making the point that it's not at all on the same level. People 'pick and choose' because it's nigh-on impossible to live a completely ethical life, and it means they're at least doing something.

Last edited:

calm_down.jpg

Surely you responding to Ghost's comment in this way is just as self-righteous as you accused him of being, even if it was said to prove a point.

In addition, isn't it a more realistic, doable goal/task to just not buy and eat meat than to never buy or use anything that might have even a tenuous link with human exploitation? Obviously it's awful that it happens in the first place, but even if one does make an effort it's impossible to avoid everything, whilst giving up meat is reasonably simple. I'm not saying you necessarily should, I'm just making the point that it's not at all on the same level. People 'pick and choose' because it's nigh-on impossible to live a completely ethical life, and it means they're at least doing something.

As to your first point, no, I was not being self-righteous at all, if you understand what the expression means. I don't care what people eat/wear/buy...and I think I made that clear in my post. People can eat what they'd like, but don't put me down for doing the same.

As for your second point, I am in almost complete agreement, but again I make the statement that if Person A gets to pick-and-choose, so should Person B.

And as for "I Am A Ghost" telling me to calm down, that's a real cop-out. You make a statement obviously intended to stir up some rabble, then when the rabble is sufficiently roused, you tell them (me) to calm down. Much easier than responding with words, I suppose.

As to your first point, no, I was not being self-righteous at all, if you understand what the expression means. I don't care what people eat/wear/buy...and I think I made that clear in my post. People can eat what they'd like, but don't put me down for doing the same.

As for your second point, I am in almost complete agreement, but again I make the statement that if Person A gets to pick-and-choose, so should Person B.

And as for "I Am A Ghost" telling me to calm down, that's a real cop-out. You make a statement obviously intended to stir up some rabble, then when the rabble is sufficiently roused, you tell them (me) to calm down. Much easier than responding with words, I suppose.

I wasn't trying to stir any rabble, as you term yourself, up at all. I was merely stating my beliefs. If you choose to be extremely rude and abusive in response, as you did, I choose not to engage with you any further. Like I say, it's all about choices, good or bad. "Sparkle" on, boy..

Exactly how many sheep, turkeys, pigs, and chickens do you think there'd be in the world if everyone gave up meat?

I don't want to give up eating meat; it tastes good and is nourishing when part of a balanced diet.

So many "vegetarians" eat fish these days anyway that i really don't feel the need to justify my choice in this either.....

wow dude, that meat is making you aggressive and angry. Illogical, too. What "I am a Ghost" said was "do what you do but don't say you don't have a choice."

I do make other choices. You're assuming that I skip the bacon at breakfast so I can harangue people the rest of the day. All those other choices you mention are all important too, but they don't make eating meat something that can't be helped.

Whatever you do to relax you're overdue.

Exactly how many sheep, turkeys, pigs, and chickens do you think there'd be in the world if everyone gave up meat?

I don't want to give up eating meat; it tastes good and is nourishing when part of a balanced diet.

So many "vegetarians" eat fish these days anyway that i really don't feel the need to justify my choice in this either.....

Great, another gifted logician. So you eat meat to prevent the streets being taken over by wild sheep, turkeys, and pigs? I'm sure that you've considered that these excess animals you are preventing are being bred in factory conditions, though.

Tags
*check out the b12 deficiency dsitehatesu2 flax is god flax is sexy ihatethissite ii do too just one of me killmeat meat is dinner meat is murder meat stick mmm chicken veggie brigade
Back
Top Bottom