How did you become a Morrissey/Smiths fan?

looking back at this post now, what i meant by that was dancing in my mind...not dancing in a mental way...:o ah nevermind!

i wish i knew people who even listen to the smiths/moz at my school

i understand now. i guess mentally dancing would be kinda weird.

Actually, I come from a totally different musical background and used to listen to electronic music. So I'm a huge Pet Shop Boys Fan since 19 years now. I always liked keyboards and that kind of stuff. I never liked guitars. Never. And when the singer of the Pet Shop Boys came onstage with a acoustic guitar on their Release-Tour I thought the world is official ending now. I couldn't believe it.
That's kind of funny, because my story is, in some ways, the inverse of that.

In the mid-to-late 80's, I was a sort of punk/post-punk snob. I would only listen to music that I believed to be sufficiently "real"--I wouldn't listen to any "electronic" music. I only liked guitars; couldn't stand electronic keyboard-based music.

I am from the US, and here, the Smiths were never the huge phenomenon that they apparently were in Britain. Somehow, back then, I came under the mistaken idea that the Smiths were part of the then growing camp of British bands that played "electronic" keyboard music, so I never bothered to check them out.

My friend had a copy of "The Queen Is Dead," and she played it for me. I was floored and surprised, because I thought "the Smiths" would sound like Depeche Mode or something.

This was in 1987 or maybe '88. There has been no turning back since.

I´m from Argentina. A long time ago a very big newspaper issued some sort of Rock and Roll Encyclopedia. This must have been around 1994. And I still remember the chapter dedicated to 80´s Brit. The first photo, the one which portrayed the chapter, was one of The Smiths, dorky looking and carrying -just the guy in the middle- a bunch of flowers.

I read the chapter, specially the lines dedicated on the band, and was captured by the fact that the singer of the band was called Morrissey. Plainly Morrissey. Was that his name? His surname? A nick name? Why the hell has he got those flowers for? And why do the four of them look soooo stupid?

I was not the music head i am now, but by that time that photograph really stroke me. They look like really normal-plain-next-door guys making the fool of themselves.

Then, after a couple of years , i was fooling around in a record store, probably looking for local bands records (which by now i detest) and found a record of these smiths guys. A torso in violet and grey colours. The photo came to my memory and i bought the record asap.

I cannot explain the body sensation i had when i played the record back at home. Reel around the fountain: the arpegiato guitar, those almost plastic drums, the piano arrangements and this guy singing with this tone and intensity, bittersweet. Never heard nothing like that. Never did again since then. That is still my favourite Smith´s track. My Initiation. The Initiation. And the lyrics, wow: "People see no worth in you, I doo". The kind of stuff that punches a teenager on the back head.

The rest is the normal smiths/morrissey fan history: i´ll find whatever they recorded. Eventually i did.

Got the chance to see Morrissey live, here in Argentina, on 2004. This country nowadays is allmost the end of the world. But the Mozz came here; there´s a fair fan base down here. And delivered as I never saw anybody deliver. Voice, charisma, mannerism; artistry in performance.

I still believe he´s one of the few nowadays who jumps on a stage and makes the audience believe he´s the last thing they´ll ever see, or they´ll ever want to see.

Speachless: that´s it. You should see my skin.

Well if you guys have read my posts you know part of the story already.

I grew up in LA, my best friend was about 4 or 5 years older than me. She was really the coolest person I had ever met. I also had the biggest crush in the world on her, but knew she had no such feelings for me. Since I was about 12, she and I started to track down celebs and get their autographs. In the early days neither of us had a camera or the money to pay for film and development. We were both big time KROQ fans (for those of you who don't know KROQ was the best station for British Pop in the 80s, the 90s and beyond it pretty much sucked!) Anyway whenever someone cool was going to be a guest on KROQ usually Rodney's show we would go to the station in Pasadena and wait for them to show up. We met a shit load of one hit wonders and got our 45's signed that we usually bought at this cool indy record shop in Pasadena that was in a converted house, I can't believe I forgot the name, it was on walnut I think. (any LA people know the shop I am talking about?) Anyway they had lots of imports and boots, etc... I think it was around '83 and Duran Duran was going to be on KROQ we went to wait for them and it was us and maybe 50 other fans, (I wouldn't get to meet them until a few years later and only Simon and Nick) at any rate after the mob left we just hung out for a bit disapointed and talking shit. Next thing we knew Rodney was down in the lobby he said hi to us and asked if we heard the interview, we said no and explained how we got shafted. He said to go up to the studio and ask for some promo items and to tell the girl at the front he sent us. So we did, we got some stickers and t-shirts and a hand full of tapes. One of the tapes was the Smiths first record. We were playing in the car my best friend instantly fell in love with it. I thought it was really different Johnny's style was so freaking unique I wasn't ready for it yet, I didn't get it.

FF about a year later. My best friend became a Smiths fanatic, I swear she wore out that tape, she always played everytime we drove anywhere. She got NME's from bleaker bob's that had even the most minor blurb on the Smiths. On one paticular day she got the 2nd Smiths tape, "Hateful of Hollow" we were driving to Hollywood / Melrose to check out what new records came in at a place call Vinyl Fetish. On the way she poped in the tape. I thought it was much better than the first record, and the peel session versions were more energetic. When it got to "How soon is now?" I was freaking hooked, I just never heard anything like that before, who the hell could make a guitar do that. It was the coolest sound I have ever heard. So for the first year I could take or leave em, the 2nd year I was completely enchanted by Johnny's music however my conversion to a true smiths fan was not complete.

FF another year, the Smiths were going to tour for Meat is Murder, Johnny out did himself again! This was the coolest most unique and fresh music I have ever heard. By this time our skills at meeting celebs. had gotten much better we had bumped into other fans at Kroq and made friends with more seasoned autograph hounds. It didn't take us long to figure out where the Smiths were staying. We got there at about 1pm and walked into the lobby and there was Morrissey just sitting there on the sofa, he quickly spotted Smiths records in hand and a big smile appeared on his face. He jokingly said he was waiting for other fans to stop by but I was the only one, so he would have to make due with me. I didn't even notice my friend didn't walk in with me as soon as I saw moz I had tunnel vision, my friend just had a mini panic attack, she was always super cool and clam but something about Moz just sitting there hit her just right. He asked us TONS of questions, what our favorite Smiths song was, what our least favorite was, what other bands we listened to, if they played the Smiths much on the radio. etc. etc. He signed everything I brought with me, about 6, 45s and a poster, tour book. Then after about 15 min. Someone came in a car to pick him up. My friend brought a camera but we got so caught up in the moment and was enjoying the conversation so much we forgot to use it. As we were heading out Mike Joyce was getting off of the elevator. He looked pissed off, he was a big scarry looking guy as it is. So we didn't even try to stop to ask him to sign anything, he spotted us and said "waiting for Johnny?" my friend say "umm yeah" in very meek voice, I was staring at my shoes. Mike told us he was on his way down soon. He went outside to the sidewalk and was pacing back and fourth, he seemed pissed off or something. He kinda freaked me out at the time (we would later find out he was one of the sweetest most gentle persons you could ever meet) Anyway, Johnny sure enough came down, he was wearing a FILA t shirt and red shorts and a gold chain he looked like an early 80s chav wanna be rapper (I know winkwink you want to call bullshit but I swear to you on my father's grave he really was dressed like that!). I had never seen him wear anything like that in magazines. Anyway he only signed a 45 and said his taxi was waiting outside, I looked outside and sure enough Mike was in the cab already. We walked out to the curb with him and as he was getting in the cab he said, "please come back before we leave town... seriously I mean it..." After that I was hooked for life. We didn't meet them again until the Queen is Dead Tour and we never met Andy until the Smiths were broken up and he toured with Sinéad O'Connor on her first US tour. I don't know Andy was never to be found during the Meat is Murder or Queen is Dead Tours. Maybe he was too busy trying to score smack... who knows... We had met lots of people by this point but none of them spent this much time with us and none of them were as important to us as the Smiths.

So that's how I became a Smtihs fan. Johnny's music hooked me and as my friendship with my friend became more difficult, my unreturned affections, and my dejection grew and grew, Morrissey's words seemed to speak to me. He seemed to understand like no other.

As for my friend by the end of the Kill Uncle tour we had seen 7 or more shows in 2 states. We got in a huge argument at the Santa Monica Civic show. It was over nothing really but we were so tired and so frustrated, by the end of the tour Moz had completely shut out the fans. And my friend had completely shut me out too. We haven't spoken since... I have no clue where she is or if she is still fan. Glenda are you out there?

Kumo...

shit, I feel really sad now digging up these old memories...

I still believe he´s one of the few nowadays who jumps on a stage and makes the audience believe he´s the last thing they´ll ever see, or they´ll ever want to see.

Well said! He's really the only one who is himself onstage and really love it to sing. I believe him every word he's singing and I can't say that with other artists.

Well said! He's really the only one who is himself onstage and really love it to sing. I believe him every word he's singing and I can't say that with other artists.

I think it's 50/50, how you feel at the time and how well he performs.
I think if you put a death metal fan in a Morrissey show, he would have a very different view... and yet you both saw the same show...

Kumo

I am from the US, and here, the Smiths were never the huge phenomenon that they apparently were in Britain. Somehow, back then, I came under the mistaken idea that the Smiths were part of the then growing camp of British bands that played "electronic" keyboard music, so I never bothered to check them out.

My friend had a copy of "The Queen Is Dead," and she played it for me. I was floored and surprised, because I thought "the Smiths" would sound like Depeche Mode or something.

Is that because of that Dead Milkmen song, "You'll Dance To Anything"?

I saw the early TOTP appearances. I remember trying to listen as the family argued loudly in the background :mad: and the image of the Smiths doing BWTTIHS got etched on my brain. I heard the Smiths played on the radio. And then they split up. And occassionally I'd hear some track and realise, like with few great bands, I knew all the words even though I didn't own any albums. Heard once, never forgotten.

Then the years passed and last year a friend gave me a copy of ROTT which I played once and gave back. Then went out and bought my first Morrissey CD the next day. Only 20-odd years after I first heard him!

Hatful of Hollow was my next purchase, and as it all came back to me I wondered how it took me so long...

there was a local top 40 station and every Friday they would play an alternative/indie song to see if it would catch on, think MTV's 120 minutes, 2 hours of alternative once a week.

well these songs would never make it on the radio again...Ned's Atomic Dustbin, the Fatima Mansions, They Might be Giants, stuff like that.

but it was the only way for me to hear the type of music I liked, and that particular Friday they played 'Tomorrow', I went and bout the cassette the next morning and that was it....Morrissey for life!!!!

still the best song I've ever heard.

Was a Smiths fan first, but not too into it. It took a boyfriend to unlock the magic for me. We make many Morrissey trips together to see him live and even to visit the sites in Manchester. I'm so in debt, but it's so worth it.

My story: By the end of 1987 a boyfriend I had gave me photocopies of the lyrics taken of LP´s and cassettes with the music. He wanted me to translate the lyrics into spanish. Instantly I fell in love with Smiths and later with Moz solo music....The story with the boy ended but the other story with Smiths and Moz lasts forever.

Last edited:
Listening to Sirius satellite hooked me on Morrissey/The Smiths. Unfortunately, the radio stations where I live never played their music while I was growing up, so I never was blessed with hearing the music.

I actually do not know if I would have appreciated Morrissey/The Smiths as a teenager, so I am glad that I became a fan as an adult!

:)

Back when MTV used to play music videos, I saw Stop Me for the first time and loved it. A couple years later (1990) a friend loaned me Strangeways which I liked but was not old enough to fully appreciate. Kill Uncle was the first full fledged Moz LP I bought in 1991, followed by Viva and Bona. Then I went back an bought all the Smiths LPs and have been keeping up with Morrissey's solo releases ever since.

:cool:

Well if you guys have read my posts you know part of the story already.

I grew up in LA, my best friend was about 4 or 5 years older than me. She was really the coolest person I had ever met. I also had the biggest crush in the world on her, but knew she had no such feelings for me. Since I was about 12, she and I started to track down celebs and get their autographs. In the early days neither of us had a camera or the money to pay for film and development. We were both big time KROQ fans (for those of you who don't know KROQ was the best station for British Pop in the 80s, the 90s and beyond it pretty much sucked!) Anyway whenever someone cool was going to be a guest on KROQ usually Rodney's show we would go to the station in Pasadena and wait for them to show up. We met a shit load of one hit wonders and got our 45's signed that we usually bought at this cool indy record shop in Pasadena that was in a converted house, I can't believe I forgot the name, it was on walnut I think. (any LA people know the shop I am talking about?) Anyway they had lots of imports and boots, etc... I think it was around '83 and Duran Duran was going to be on KROQ we went to wait for them and it was us and maybe 50 other fans, (I wouldn't get to meet them until a few years later and only Simon and Nick) at any rate after the mob left we just hung out for a bit disapointed and talking shit. Next thing we knew Rodney was down in the lobby he said hi to us and asked if we heard the interview, we said no and explained how we got shafted. He said to go up to the studio and ask for some promo items and to tell the girl at the front he sent us. So we did, we got some stickers and t-shirts and a hand full of tapes. One of the tapes was the Smiths first record. We were playing in the car my best friend instantly fell in love with it. I thought it was really different Johnny's style was so freaking unique I wasn't ready for it yet, I didn't get it.

FF about a year later. My best friend became a Smiths fanatic, I swear she wore out that tape, she always played everytime we drove anywhere. She got NME's from bleaker bob's that had even the most minor blurb on the Smiths. On one paticular day she got the 2nd Smiths tape, "Hateful of Hollow" we were driving to Hollywood / Melrose to check out what new records came in at a place call Vinyl Fetish. On the way she poped in the tape. I thought it was much better than the first record, and the peel session versions were more energetic. When it got to "How soon is now?" I was freaking hooked, I just never heard anything like that before, who the hell could make a guitar do that. It was the coolest sound I have ever heard. So for the first year I could take or leave em, the 2nd year I was completely enchanted by Johnny's music however my conversion to a true smiths fan was not complete.

FF another year, the Smiths were going to tour for Meat is Murder, Johnny out did himself again! This was the coolest most unique and fresh music I have ever heard. By this time our skills at meeting celebs. had gotten much better we had bumped into other fans at Kroq and made friends with more seasoned autograph hounds. It didn't take us long to figure out where the Smiths were staying. We got there at about 1pm and walked into the lobby and there was Morrissey just sitting there on the sofa, he quickly spotted Smiths records in hand and a big smile appeared on his face. He jokingly said he was waiting for other fans to stop by but I was the only one, so he would have to make due with me. I didn't even notice my friend didn't walk in with me as soon as I saw moz I had tunnel vision, my friend just had a mini panic attack, she was always super cool and clam but something about Moz just sitting there hit her just right. He asked us TONS of questions, what our favorite Smiths song was, what our least favorite was, what other bands we listened to, if they played the Smiths much on the radio. etc. etc. He signed everything I brought with me, about 6, 45s and a poster, tour book. Then after about 15 min. Someone came in a car to pick him up. My friend brought a camera but we got so caught up in the moment and was enjoying the conversation so much we forgot to use it. As we were heading out Mike Joyce was getting off of the elevator. He looked pissed off, he was a big scarry looking guy as it is. So we didn't even try to stop to ask him to sign anything, he spotted us and said "waiting for Johnny?" my friend say "umm yeah" in very meek voice, I was staring at my shoes. Mike told us he was on his way down soon. He went outside to the sidewalk and was pacing back and fourth, he seemed pissed off or something. He kinda freaked me out at the time (we would later find out he was one of the sweetest most gentle persons you could ever meet) Anyway, Johnny sure enough came down, he was wearing a FILA t shirt and red shorts and a gold chain he looked like an early 80s chav wanna be rapper (I know winkwink you want to call bullshit but I swear to you on my father's grave he really was dressed like that!). I had never seen him wear anything like that in magazines. Anyway he only signed a 45 and said his taxi was waiting outside, I looked outside and sure enough Mike was in the cab already. We walked out to the curb with him and as he was getting in the cab he said, "please come back before we leave town... seriously I mean it..." After that I was hooked for life. We didn't meet them again until the Queen is Dead Tour and we never met Andy until the Smiths were broken up and he toured with Sinéad O'Connor on her first US tour. I don't know Andy was never to be found during the Meat is Murder or Queen is Dead Tours. Maybe he was too busy trying to score smack... who knows... We had met lots of people by this point but none of them spent this much time with us and none of them were as important to us as the Smiths.

So that's how I became a Smtihs fan. Johnny's music hooked me and as my friendship with my friend became more difficult, my unreturned affections, and my dejection grew and grew, Morrissey's words seemed to speak to me. He seemed to understand like no other.

As for my friend by the end of the Kill Uncle tour we had seen 7 or more shows in 2 states. We got in a huge argument at the Santa Monica Civic show. It was over nothing really but we were so tired and so frustrated, by the end of the tour Moz had completely shut out the fans. And my friend had completely shut me out too. We haven't spoken since... I have no clue where she is or if she is still fan. Glenda are you out there?

Kumo...

shit, I feel really sad now digging up these old memories...

Amazing!!! FILA!!???!!!??? Amazing...

You lucky bastard!

Mick Cable

My story: By the end of 1987 a boyfriend I had gave me photocopies of the lyrics taken of LP´s and cassettes with the music. He wanted me to translate the lyrics into spanish. Instantly I fell in love with Smiths and later with Moz solo music....The story with the boy ended but the other story with Smiths and Moz last forever.

cute story!

i started loving Moz/Smiths not long ago (~2003) after i finally knew who were the performers of There Is A Light That Never Goes Out.

Back
Top Bottom