Houston Chronicle: "When Morrissey visited Houston's Record Rack in 1992" (July 29, 2021)

900x0[1].jpg

ratio3x2_900.jpg

They came bearing gladiolas.

On July 29, 1992, hundreds of Houston youths lined South Shepherd near Alabama to meet Morrissey, who dropped by Record Rack as part of a six-city promotional tour for his solo album “Your Arsenal.”

56 image gallery of fans & Morrissey at the event.

900x0.jpg

A brief reminiscing article with large gallery.
Video from the event archived: here.
Regards,
FWD.

And now he can't get a record deal. When exactly did Morrissey's decline begin?
The Der Spiegal interview where he defended Kevin Spacey. It kinda went tits up from there.

what were the protesters "protesting"? (some photos in the gallery show people with signs protesting the record store - not moz).

Last edited:
You are probably right.
Some of us swear its when he went from being Morrissey to American Morrissry.
The moment he went full pelt yank and overly dependent on the Mexican market , things fell apart.
It's tempting to think he hated himself for selling himself out, his ego wouldn't stop.
His band went more Americsm he spent more time with Jesse and things got worse and worse.

Brittle and bitter when
Where love once played.
If only he would have joined johnny ,after they chat..
Could have gone from 2nd place in Fave brit poll.
The success of Quarry and lesser extent Ringleader.
Then off with johnny. .things could have been so much better .

In 1995, I'd say. After the career peak of Vauxhall he left EMI and started his everlasting tour of the record companies. Starting the RCA deal with a career-worst single (Dagenham Dave) and a hastily put together & seriously flawed album in peak Britpop era really pushed him onto a downward slope.

what were the protesters "protesting"? (some photos in the gallery show people with signs protesting the record store - not moz).
I can’t see the gallery due to paywall. I know that there was an issue with who would get in early in the day. Maybe it had to do with that?

my brother and I got there at like 4 in the morning and were within the cutoff to meet him. Around 10am the store came to give wristbands to those who made the cut and everyone rushed the doors. By the time they put us back in order me and my brother missed the cut by about ten people and went home. I finally got me a real morrissey signed item years later at the Houston refusal show when he had signed vinyl for sale.

Started in the mid 90s he was at the top of the world in 94 with vauxhall and I which he didn’t do a tour for which he should have. He did a Uk tour for the compilation album world of Morrissey and soutpaw grammer which were decent albums but didn’t feel like full albums on there own considering one was a compilation and the southpaw only had 8 or 9 songs which had long tracks, and then he did maladjusted and did a world tour for that album now looking at it and listening to the album it was good album but at the time it didn’t sound like your usual Morrissey album plus he changed his look and was on a different record company he also recently lost his court trial to Mike Joyce. After poor record sales of maladjusted and the record company being swallowed up by another company he was dropped and he was on hiatus of a record company from 97 to 04 he had comeback resurgence in 04-05 but nothing like his early solo days and put out 2 good albums you are the quarry and ringleaders and then his career once again started to fall off again by the end of the 2000’s and it’s continued to fall off. Morrissey tends to self sabotage his own career while blaming others for his f*** ups and failings. While massively talented he has no one to blame but himself for where his career is.

You are probably right.
Some of us swear its when he went from being Morrissey to American Morrissry.
The moment he went full pelt yank and overly dependent on the Mexican market , things fell apart.
It's tempting to think he hated himself for selling himself out, his ego wouldn't stop.
His band went more Americsm he spent more time with Jesse and things got worse and worse.

Brittle and bitter when
Where love once played.
If only he would have joined johnny ,after they chat..
Could have gone from 2nd place in Fave brit poll.
The success of Quarry and lesser extent Ringleader.
Then off with johnny. .things could have been so much better .
:)

:handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: is unknown even in Hale:hammer:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom