Hook End Manor ("Ouija Board..." video) abandoned

Not sure if this has been posted on here, but Hook End Manor appears to be abandoned, ouija board video room looks pretty trashed.

David Gilmour’s abandoned mansion gives Danzig’s shitty house a run for its money - Consequence Of Sound
Abandoned games of Scrabble and billiards, wallpaper falling off the walls, and a gravestone in the basement

41859_david-gilmour-house-2.jpg

Posted by SuedeMoz:

...here's a still from the video showing the room:

41860_ouija_board_still.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it's silly but when this video was first released I used to imagine that this was Morrissey's home. It just looked like somewhere he'd live. This room always struck me as being so stylistically unorthodox and '60s looking. After reading that excerpt from his autobiography I now know that it was a spiritual home for him at least. It makes me sad to see it this way. I wonder if it would make Moz feel the same if he saw this? As much as he loves certain places in the world and has used them in his work I would think it would affect him. I love this video with it's 'Carry On' vibe. The way he can't make the board work so he employs a silly medium to help but she fouls up and conjures the wrong spirit. Nicely underscored with the comedic sight of her reading a book titled "How to improve your spelling'. The bottom of the crystal ball says 'reduced to clear'. A perfectly bad pun. I wonder if one of the boys is his nephew Sam? Also, what is the uniform that the spirit is wearing? A school outfit? Looks like a London Underground pin on her hat. If you watch closely at the end of the video in the hallway you will notice the camera get jostled as the camera operator gets bumped by the girl playing the'spirit'. She had to quickly squeeze by him to get to the other room to begin playing the piano. A cheap and easy way to pull off a special effect.

Last edited:
I know it's silly but when this video was first released I used to imagine that this was Morrissey's home. It just looked like somewhere he'd live. This room always struck me as being so stylistically unorthodox and '60s looking. After reading that excerpt from his autobiography I now know that it was a spiritual home for him at least. It makes me sad to see it this way. I wonder if it would make Moz feel the same if he saw this? As much as he loves certain places in the world and has used them in his work I would think it would affect him. I love this video with it's 'Carry On' vibe. The way he can't make the board work so he employs a silly medium to help but she fouls up and conjures the wrong spirit. Nicely underscored with the comedic sight of her reading a book titled "How to improve your spelling'. The bottom of the crystal ball says 'reduced to clear'. A perfectly bad pun. I wonder if one of the boys is his nephew Sam? Also, what is the uniform that the spirit is wearing? A school outfit? Looks like a London Underground pin on her hat. If you watch closely at the end of the video in the hallway you will notice the camera get jostled as the camera operator gets bumped by the girl playing the'spirit'. She had to quickly squeeze by him to get to the other room to begin playing the piano. A cheap and easy way to pull off a special effect.
The fantastic Kathy Burke played the "spirit" .... sorry missus Patterson !!

One day in 1989 I was walking down Broad Street, the main shopping road - when who should be walking towards me, perhaps ten yards away at most, but someone who was the absolute spitting image of Morrissey.

Coincidently I also saw Morrissey in Broad Street around the same time (late 80's / early 90's). I did realise it was him but was too shy to approach him at the time.
I too live in Reading and have done for over 20 years now and I still love it here.

Last edited:
Coincidently I also saw Morrissey in Broad Street around the same time (late 80's / early 90's). I did realise it was him but was too shy to approach him at the time.
I too live in Reading and have done for over 20 years now and I still love it here.

More Reading sightings? I seem to be one of the few people in this part of the world who haven’t been bumping into Morrissey in the newsagents most mornings. After all these years of assuming he is more or less a hermit, it seems that, in fact, I am the hermit.

Reading’s a pretty good place to live. I think it has had a slight reputation down the decades because anyone travelling to the west by train has to pass through it and the railway station area has always been a bit of a dump. The uglier buildings have been demolished now and the regeneration of the station is complete. Where once the town was famous for beer and biscuits we now have the music festival and forever getting stuck behind Morrissey in the greengrocer.

Hold on. There are some carollers at the door.

That voice sounds familiar...

“Oh, f*** ye Merry Gentlemen”?

Those aren’t the words.

Really creepy that the room is still almost identically laid out from when they shot the video (albeit trashed). A real Miss Havisham feel about it.
Not an accident. The whole video looks staged to me. :straightface:

Edit: I didn’t watch the whole video. I quit at the part where the dust-free photos of rock stars were delicately laid out on the counter in the light.

Last edited:
Not an accident. The whole video looks staged to me. :straightface:

Edit: I didn’t watch the whole video. I quit at the part where the dust-free photos of rock stars were delicately laid out on the counter in the light.

You are right, there's something odd about it. (I hadn't watched the video until your post). Some bits look quite recently lived in. The crockery on the dresser in the kitchen looks clean. Other bits do look genuinely falling apart. Some of the bathrooms make your toes curl. And the bit in the entrance hall with the pile of abandoned bedding etc is quite ewww. I can't figure out who would do that though, or why. Very well-mannered squatters? It makes no sense to fake it, I can't see why anyone would go to all that trouble. Where is Hercule Poirot when we need him?

if you go on to youtube,theres mansions all over the world just left with all sorts of stuff left,even bruce lees house in Kowloon in hong kong is deserted and you can wander around.

Abandoned in the hallway bookcase, just shy of the wood-panelled corridor leading to the dining room {which Kathy B's 'clippie' darts down to play the pian-er, at the close of the "Ouija Board, Ouija Board" promotional film} ~

25402905608_2ff1699144_b.jpg

M.'s 'current reading' back in the Autumn of 1990, in situ, whilst creating "Kill Uncle" ~

39240926422_99acb7f082_o.jpg

~ í would assume that he filched Volume IV for himself; í hear it's the best in the series.

ghosts upon ghosts upon ghosts...

Abandoned in the hallway bookcase, just shy of the wood-panelled corridor leading to the dining room {which Kathy B's 'clippie' darts down to play the pian-er, at the close of the "Ouija Board, Ouija Board" promotional film} ~

M.'s 'current reading' back in the Autumn of 1990, in situ, whilst creating "Kill Uncle" ~

~ í would assume that he filched Volume IV for himself; í hear it's the best in the series.

Blimey. That's forensically sharp-eyed.

I am very impressed with your ability to recall the title and make this connection. Your post answered my question as to what uniform the "spirit" was wearing. A bus ticket taker. So she died while at work on a double decker bus...perhaps hit by a ten ton truck? The plot thickens.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom