Honestly, The Smiths just need to play a show together

Would it be easier to agree that Morrissey has been outsold by every artist on the planet & his career is entirely dead & then we can just discuss the ghost of Morrissey who gets hits in Scottish backwaters like a lost banshee?

Would it be easier to agree that Morrissey has been outsold by every artist on the planet & his career is entirely dead & then we can just discuss the ghost of Morrissey who gets hits in Scottish backwaters like a lost banshee?

His career isn't entirely dead though, I bought his last album and thought it was his best for a long time.

I don’t know if he would call what he does a career.

But, I agree.

Morrissey is Morrissey, he defies definition.

His success can’t be measured by sales.

And to be on topic he doesn’t need a reunion.

His career isn't entirely dead though, I bought his last album and thought it was his best for a long time.

I was joking - hard sales & artistic integrity are 2 different arguments, so it would just go on forever.

I'm just pleased he hasn't been fully cancelled. The first big shamings happened around 2013 & I know people who haven't worked in the arts/media/marketing since then. Can't book a venue, friends dropping them... the full shebang.

The December election finished all that. He could come back properly if he wants to... but he might prefer a smaller hardcore to having to talk to the press. It depends if he still has ambitions for the work beyond getting it made, I suppose.

I know, I know...don't come at me. It just needs to happen. Screw the politics. Screw the drama. They need to grow the eff up. Stop whining and whinging. Play the damn music for the people! They are possibly the most inspirational band next to The Beatles. Yes, it's true. Moz needs to get his head out of his ass and the rest need to just get over it. Get back together and play the damn music. I'd travel to England just to see it.
I thought you might be Mike Joyce still hoping for a reunion. Then you talk about travelling to England. Mike Joyce already lives in England in the Manchester area. A reunion will never happen there is way too much bad blood and too many years have passed.

The last time I might have wanted to see a Smiths reunion was probably around 2002, before the comeback. Johnny's solo career hadn't happened yet, Morrissey hadn't put a record out in many years and everyone still looked good. It's too late now.
Johnny Marr tried to launch a solo career around 2001. I don't know when exactly. Johnny Marr had a group called "Johnny Marr and The Healers" it never really went anywhere even though they had Ringo Starr's son Zak Starkey on drums. Now Johnny Marr never talks about The Healers it is like they never existed.

I don't want a Smiths reunion. Politically and spiritually Morrissey is on a different path to Johnny Marr who plays the establishment game more. Maybe Morrissey and Marr could of done a reunion at one point without the other former members but not now.

I can have both.

Just not on the same stage. That dream has gone.
There isn't any chemistry between Marr & Morrissey anymore, no sense of urgency either, and they are both wise enough to realize that.

Yes, correct, it wouldn’t be the same band.

It's just been too long. Are you really hungry to see grey, middle-aged, podgy Smiths, wearing crap slogan T-shirts and trudging through Munich Air Disaster (Moz would crowbar his solo material into any 'reunion') in between the old stuff?
A single one-off 'appearance', a thawing of tensions between Johnny and Moz - that would be great but that's all I'd want to see. And the damage Moz has done to his career over the last 2 years has pretty much killed any possibility of that.
:ROFLMAO:

I can take it or leave it just fine. If they played a show it’d probably be pretty good as neither has really lost it talent wise. If they wrote some new music I’d of course check it out and honestly while it may not be as great it’d probably still be pretty good. Pretty good because the magic of the smiths and there relation is gone with that moment and of course we’d all still be looking for it and how can anything measure up to the magic of our youth. That said it’s been over for a long time. I’d personally settle for even a farewell song from the smiths

It’s interesting that comment about Marr not seeking out a new mad singer and it made me think did morrissey avoided finding a new wonder kid guitarist just because the last one had the power to pull the plug on all his mad plans

Electronic's debut record was better than at least 4 Morrissey records.

Let Electronic put out as many albums as Morrissey and see how well they do in regards to remaining at peak awesomeness with every record to their fans.

Personally I feel they had a couple good singles their albums are not so great, but I feel the same way about New order, great singles, but the albums are not so rewarding.

Last edited:
Morrissey's autobiography a few years back could have provided some indication that he had changed over the years, had maybe mellowed with age, and might be easier to work with now. Unfortunately, when you read it it becomes clear that he still displays the same toxic mix of self-obsessed narcissism and paranoia when it comes to other people getting close to or working with Johnny. Why Marr would want to get back into that stifling relationship is beyond me. Maybe he could get a short-term payday for a few big stadium gigs in a post-Coronavirus economy, but it seems likely the whole thing would implode again, and probably sooner than later. Marr's solo career is clearly a lot lower tier than that of Morrissey, but he'd also run the risk of losing a lot of the audience he currently does have, if they think he's 'selling out' and shacking up with some right-wing racists nutjob (as they see Moz) for money.

I just don't see what's in it for him. Sounds far more sensible to keep as far away from Morrissey as possible, and have fun doing James Bond soundtracks and the like instead. Far less headache.

It’s interesting that comment about Marr not seeking out a new mad singer and it made me think did morrissey avoided finding a new wonder kid guitarist just because the last one had the power to pull the plug on all his mad plans

I've always thought that too. Moz knows that wunderkind musicians are quickly 'in demand', they're poached by other bands, they share the spotlight to some degree as well - he didn't want that to happen again so he chose mostly unknowns for his first solo band.

I think it is a situation that suits him (in terms of his ambitions as a solo artist) but also annoys him/embarrasses him at times, especially live. You can sometimes see it in his face and the way that he moves. This mortifying performance is pre-Tobias era and to me, he looks like he's thinking "this is f***ing awful" all the way through.

Last edited:
I've always thought that too. Moz knows that wunderkind musicians are quickly 'in demand', they're poached by other bands, they share the spotlight to some degree as well - he didn't want that to happen again so he chose mostly unknowns for his first solo band.

I think it is a situation that suits him (in terms of his ambitions as a solo artist) but also annoys him/embarrasses him at times, especially live. You can sometimes see it in his face and the way that he moves. This mortifying performance is pre-Tobias era and to me, he look like he's thinking "this is f***ing awful" all the way through.

Absolutely. He also wants total control over output, to the extent of band members needing to sign (we presume) non-disclosure agreements.

I think it the share the spotlight bit as when you’re partners the other can sink the ship completely and if the public and the bands spirit is the two of you there’s not much one of them alone can do about it. He probably had a small bit of that again soon after with vinnie and street arguing about who wrote what and of course the payment stuff

Let Electronic put out as many albums as Morrissey and see how well they do in regards to remaining at peak awesomeness with every record to their fans.

Personally I feel they had a couple good singles their albums are not so great, but I feel the same way about New order, great singles, but the albums are not so rewarding.
No New Order record is less rewarding than "I Fell Down The Staircase" or whatever it's called.

Morrissey doesn’t give a crap about a reunion, he’s a success, and his last album it’s up there with the best.

:cool:

on the other hand, Johnny’s so-called solo career never even got off the ground Yes yes yes he sold some albums he did some shows etc. but that’s not really a true artistic success not really.

yeah I agree he’s a good guitarist and wrote some great songs back in the day I mean his time with the Smiths. Now Johnny really would benefit from a Smiths reunion.

Andy will be asked. Maybe.

Mike won’t be asked, he did it to
himself.
Respect and integrity is worth more than money in the bank. And by that metric, Morrissey lives in poverty.

Back
Top Bottom