Hollywood Bowl - what happened to the DVD?

I remember some time ago that Warner published a dvd of the 2007 show at the Hollywood Bowl.

Anyone know the real reason why it never was put on the market?

For your interest

It's posted TTY:

message from Morrissey 14/08/2008

14 August 2008

MESSAGE FROM MORRISSEY.

The slapdash release of Morrissey live at the Hollywood Bowl is done by Warner without any consultation to me whatsoever, and is in breach of their terms as laid out by themselves in an agreement made for the film between Warner and my ex-manager. Being Warner, predictably the sleeve art is appalling. It is the work of cash-hounds, and I urge people NOT to buy it. I am not signed to Warner, and no royalties from this dvd will come to me. Please spend your money elsewhere.
thank you, MORRISSEY.

There's at least one person on here who knows how much trouble the non-release of this DVD caused. Big ructions.

Peter

Aye, I probably shouldn't make posts like that. Sorry. I've got an e-mail somewhere in the in-box that tells the tale, but it'll have to stay there. I'm an idiot.

Peter

He's always doing it we'll have to christen him "half a tale" or Uncleiknowsomethingyoudont .

Hopefully it will leak at some point. Halloween 1991 did recently after years and years of barely a few people having a copy.

There's at least one person on here who knows how much trouble the non-release of this DVD caused. Big ructions.

Peter

I wish you wouldn't do this it's very frustrating.

Who did it bring trouble to? Whats the story?

you are terrible for this peter - out with it boy or keep the trap firmly shut you must choose soon

he done it again..... out with it now

OK....... fasten your seat belts as you are in for a bumpy ride (counts the minutes before lainey clims on board......:lbf:)

This below is the statement Mike Joyce (remember him, he used to be The Smiths drummer:thumb:) from 2008.

Just for the record, I've never, EVER received all Smiths royalties from record sales in the U.K. or worldwide for that matter. Maybe some of the people who visit this site could ask Morrissey through their contacts just WHO receives ALL Smiths royalties now...Mmm?

Mike Joyce

Warners spent a considerable aount of money on this DVD.... imagine all the cameras and equipment used.... wages.... hotels.... editing and touching up etc etc - only to be told 'it isn't happening.'
Do you think Warners said ''OK, no problem, maybe next time we can film elsewhere?''
Or do you think Warners said ''Excuse me, we've forked out a shed load of money on this project and want to recoup it''.
How can they recoup it? See Mike's statement.
:popcorn:

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
Aye, I probably shouldn't make posts like that. Sorry. I've got an e-mail somewhere in the in-box that tells the tale, but it'll have to stay there. I'm an idiot.

Peter

Can you tell it just to me? I won't tell anyone :)

Ooh now that is juicey. fact or conjecture?

That depends if you have an open mind and believe Morrissey can get it wrong everynow and then..... or you believe Morrissey is beyond any wrong doing and the whole world is out to get him.:squiffy:

Jukebox Jury

OK....... fasten your seat belts as you are in for a bumpy ride (counts the minutes before lainey clims on board......:lbf:)

This below is the statement Mike Joyce (remember him, he used to be The Smiths drummer:thumb:) from 2008.

Just for the record, I've never, EVER received all Smiths royalties from record sales in the U.K. or worldwide for that matter. Maybe some of the people who visit this site could ask Morrissey through their contacts just WHO receives ALL Smiths royalties now...Mmm?

Mike Joyce

Warners spent a considerable aount of money on this DVD.... imagine all the cameras and equipment used.... wages.... hotels.... editing and touching up etc etc - only to be told 'it isn't happening.'
Do you think Warners said ''OK, no problem, maybe next time we can film elsewhere?''
Or do you think Warners said ''Excuse me, we've forked out a shed load of money on this project and want to recoup it''.
How can they recoup it? See Mike's statement.
:popcorn:

Jukebox Jury

say what?
are you saying warners are withholding Smith royalities due to the non-release? - and therefore noone gets the royalties? - not even the thief joyce - wouldn't that have to go to court?
or are you saying morrissey gets all the royalties - and you believe joyce??

i always guessed they withdrew the dvd due to the bad publicity or/and because as morrissey claimed he had a legal agreement in place with a veto clause which he used
say what?

Mike Joyce

you see what joyce is doing here has come to be know as a "peter" (lol)
if joyce wants something known and that something is true why doesn't he just say it himself?
instead he says i know a secret, you can know it too if you ask someone to ask someone something there'll tell you all about - yawn

out with it joyce or shut it up

say what?
are you saying warners are withholding Smith royalities due to the non-release? - and therefore noone gets the royalties? - not even the thief joyce - wouldn't that have to go to court?
or are you saying morrissey gets all the royalties - and you believe joyce??

i always guessed they withdrew the dvd due to the bad publicity or/and because as morrissey claimed he had a legal agreement in place with a veto clause which he used
say what?

All I'm saying is it ties in with what Mike said in his statement - think about the dates of the filming and the date of Mike's statement.... they certainly fit.

Do you think Warners would agree to film Morrissey and spend thousands and thousands of £'s / $'s doing so..... on the understanding that if Morrissey says ''If I don't like it I have the right to veto the release''...... and Morrissey not face any subsequant financial responsibility? If you believe that then you are not of a business like mind.

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:

Mike Joyce

you see what joyce is doing here has come to be know as a "peter" (lol)
if joyce wants something known and that something is true why doesn't he just say it himself?
instead he says i know a secret, you can know it too if you ask someone to ask someone something there'll tell you all about - yawn

out with it joyce or shut it up

read the statement again..... Mike says he has NEVER received ALL of The Smiths royalties (which was in response to Morrissey who said Mike received all royalties (including Andy and Stephen Street's and others royalties) and then says that *someone* has been receiving ALL royalties since 2008. as I said in my above thread.... the date fits in with the non DVD.... surely Warners want a return on their non investment?:confused:

Mike would most likely argue that he did let something be known as he did in that statement. Did any Morrissey fan ask Morrissey the question as he suggested?
Let's face it.....if Mike was here now writing what I am instead on me doing it....would anyone really listen to him? He'd just face a barrage of abuse from people with deaf ears...... people calling him a thief etc etc as witnessed above.
Would you come on here knowing you were to face that crap?:squiffy:

Jukebox Jury

Back
Top Bottom