"His hands are tied" ....and other such avoidances

Who else though can you think of that consistently releases tickets like dripping chinese water torture. I can't think of any other band that uses this practice.

Good analogy for a bad practice.

I understand what you're saying, Kid. Being a Morrissey fan requires some patience.

I think some Morrissey fans are not into music at all. They way they moan I get the very strong impression they never buy tickets of any other band and never buy CDs from any other band either. They seem to think other bands have some miraculous way of selling tickets and CDs that Morrissey is unaware of, and that he only does things in this way to annoy them.

I have to agree with Danny.

I posted Best Smiths / Morrissey cover version 2008 poll, only 20 people voted.
Observing the forums average 200 users per day to check the forums regularly yet only 20 people interested in other musicians' cover version of Smiths and Morrissey songs which is very disappointing.

Dear mcrickson, Thank you for going out of your way to re-edit my post with "blahblah blah". Why would anyone want to do that?

Because it was too long to make my point. All that you wrote was, indeed, your opinion. Suggesting that the site be run a different way is a post that should be located in the Site Suggestions/Feedback Forum. Welcome.

"If sites such as this are used for anything they should, in my opinion, be used to let Morrissey know when he's doing well and releasing excellent music. Likewise, they should be used to communicate with him about how we feel as fans and how we would like to be treated. This could be so easily achieved by a sensible poll with the outcome sent to Morrissey or a more formal petition."

You insinuated that this site is not run to your suiting. Again, posting this in the Site Suggestion/Feedback Forum would have been more ideal if you didn't want such a response from people. However, if you do not like the site, there is no compulsory to stay.

P.S. -> "I'm No One's Honey" would be an excellent Morrissey song. But you might not like it...

Yes, that is a very good idea. I like it when fans make criticisms about their idol.:pIf no one complains, the great deity won't be aware of anything.:cool:

Wait, what? Morrissey's on a diet? NOOOOOO, Herculean chest and belly I need you! Eat cake!!!!!!!

I really do not blame Morrissey for things like releases and tickets. I do think that such things are out of his beautiful hands!!!

Believe it or not? I got tickets for both nights in Manchester. I don't think that's the point though. I was very bloody lucky. I have friends who are as loyal as I, and they didn't get anything - these are the kind of people who can tell you when he last farted - a tad too far for my loyalty.

The last few tours have been a nightmare - with even pre sale info being distributed so late that it is ineffective. I would also have liked to have heard a public apology from him on the Roundhouse debacle. Ok he was ill - no argument from me - but c'mon, I spent thousand on that trip and got little of it back, a wee apology surely isn't too much to ask. Instead the pathetic attempt by Brand/Walliams/Ross trio to apologise on his behalf made the whole thing ten times worse.

REAL fans keep missing out and I don't see Morrissey doing anything about it. He can halt the release of Hang the DJ but can't organise a tour for his fans?
@dead end kid-as you got tickets for both nights and friends of yours who are "loyal as you" didn't get any,then be a friend and give them some of yours.i know my friends wouldn't see me sit at home when they had surplus.
i agree with you about ticket distribution on the whole.the internet has killed the the atmosphere in concerts in the last few years.not so long ago when you had to physically go to a shop and get tickets,sometimes that meant staying outside a shop door all night in the freezing rain,thats when you got real fans and real atmosphere at gigs.these days people/touts just sit at home and just snap up tickets with credit card after credit card,leaving dedicated fans with a bad taste in their mouth.

o.k i have a theory

1. firstly i live in the U.S so maybe things are different, and i haven't had the forture of trying to buy morrissey tickets, i was in college in santa Fe.....So i don't know how this whole thing works but i do seem to realize taht their is short notice on his gigs? and I hate to be an a-hole and propose that its being done on purpose but here's why it might be.

You know how morrissey talks about how its so easy to consume things esp music compared to how it use to be (thus all the singles) he enjoys searching things out, that makes them special because their is a will to have them and to discover and to quest and to love them you know....

could it be similar with the tickets? i think it very well could be similar. I mean what makes me love morrissey's music is that its not just everywhere, its like a little secret un touched by whatever ( i know i'm so eleqoant right now...p.s i'm dyslexic and spelling is a problem as well, i am sorry about that)

I like morrissey because i have to decide that "yes! I want to go get morrissey tickets, i'm going to go through some effort to get them, and god knows he wont be coming to Louisiana where i currently live....anticipation is a really wonderful thing. Which i could also relate to his eroticism vs sexualness....

just giving a philisophical twist to the whole thing. Does it make him look egotistical because he doesn't advertise conventionally? also as far as adds and stuff goes...don't you think its kind of cool that you aren't constantly bombarded with advertisments, doesn't it make it feel a little bit more like your own and less cheap, less "gee i don't know what i'm going to do tonight..." morrissey doesn't need to sell tickets to those people he's already got enough loonies who love his music.

just some thoughts, and like i said what do i know. I like the chase though!

o.k i have a theory

1. firstly i live in the U.S so maybe things are different, and i haven't had the forture of trying to buy morrissey tickets, i was in college in santa Fe.....So i don't know how this whole thing works but i do seem to realize taht their is short notice on his gigs? and I hate to be an a-hole and propose that its being done on purpose but here's why it might be.

You know how morrissey talks about how its so easy to consume things esp music compared to how it use to be (thus all the singles) he enjoys searching things out, that makes them special because their is a will to have them and to discover and to quest and to love them you know....

could it be similar with the tickets? i think it very well could be similar. I mean what makes me love morrissey's music is that its not just everywhere, its like a little secret un touched by whatever ( i know i'm so eleqoant right now...p.s i'm dyslexic and spelling is a problem as well, i am sorry about that)

I like morrissey because i have to decide that "yes! I want to go get morrissey tickets, i'm going to go through some effort to get them, and god knows he wont be coming to Louisiana where i currently live....anticipation is a really wonderful thing. Which i could also relate to his eroticism vs sexualness....

just giving a philisophical twist to the whole thing. Does it make him look egotistical because he doesn't advertise conventionally? also as far as adds and stuff goes...don't you think its kind of cool that you aren't constantly bombarded with advertisments, doesn't it make it feel a little bit more like your own and less cheap, less "gee i don't know what i'm going to do tonight..." morrissey doesn't need to sell tickets to those people he's already got enough loonies who love his music.

just some thoughts, and like i said what do i know. I like the chase though!

Damn, that was surprisingly insightful.

You never know, with TTY being updated maybe Moz will say ello to us again. If he doesn't, let's all go out and buy Live at The Hollywood Bowl dvd!

heh. I'll be doing that either way. If Moz won't release the goods, I'll buy them from those who will.

I've been a fan for over 20+ years (since the days of the smiths) and it wasn't until last year when he had a residency at the hollywood palladium that I got to see him live for the first time. There were many times that I tried to get tickets but they'd sell out in a few minutes, other times I was traveling when he was performing here in l.a. and other times, particularly when I was a struggling student, I simply couldn't afford tickets. Did I blame him for it, no, it's luck and/or circumstances. Compared to other singers I think he does a pretty good job of communicating with us and touring a significant amount to give people a chance to see him either in their hometowns or elsewhere.

Last edited:
I listened to one cover that everyone was raving about and thought it was awful. I am not interested in hearing other people sing Morrissey's songs, but I do listen to other music. Radiohead doing Headmaster Ritual was pretty good, but I only listened twice.

Why is that disappointing?

Usually on cover versions, the people either try to copy the original which is usually pointless, or they reinterpret it which is more interesting but can result in them being pretentious or precious about it. Radiohead tried to copy, and that worked in their case because hearing someone else capture a lot of the little details made you hear the song all over again.

I have never really enjoyed hearing others cover my favorite bands or artists because it falls short and seems pointless. I think it has its place live, but not to watch a recording.

If a band is special though, they can make covers work. If I really like a band or artist I will enjoy hearing them do other people's material, but I don't usually like hearing songs I love played by lesser artists.

Morrissey is special. The music, the lyrics, the attitude, the voice, the performance, every aspect of what he does all comes together in a magical way. Anything else, no mater how good they are, is probably not going to work for me.

Also. MOST of the current music that Morrissey fans are expected to like just seems to me like echoes of greater things that have happened before. The Killers, etc... whoever it is this year, anything that is "If you like Morrissey, you might like. ________" for me is more like, "If you like Morrissey you will despise _________".

But you did try and you came up with a long list. It's nice to see Morrissey's influence demonstrated that way. But I just don't care to hear the songs.

tl, dr.

ooh my 1st time saying that.

Tags
prices tour
Back
Top Bottom