Help! Question For The Guys Of Solo....

iamkali62

This is rather ridiculous but I am dead serious. My father is 84 and he looks kind of like Wilfred Brimley, and he hasn't shaved his beard IN MONTHS. I'm talking like, 6 months. He just asked me to get rid of it. I've got a good pair of scissors and good shaving gel, but what's the best way to go about this without cutting him? Oh, have I mentioned that he's petulant and grumpy? ( A tad like me....:DAnyway, do I wet his beard first? HELP! I am not Vidal Sassoon.

This is rather ridiculous but I am dead serious. My father is 84 and he looks kind of like Wilfred Brimley, and he hasn't shaved his beard IN MONTHS. I'm talking like, 6 months. He just asked me to get rid of it. I've got a good pair of scissors and good shaving gel, but what's the best way to go about this without cutting him? Oh, have I mentioned that he's petulant and grumpy? ( A tad like me....:DAnyway, do I wet his beard first? HELP! I am not Vidal Sassoon.

trim it as short as you can with scissors,then use a towel with hot water and soak the pores then use a razor and shaving cream to get rid of the rest

1. If it's really long, use the scissors to take off as much of the length as you can.
  2. Wet it thoroughly.
  3. Rub some gel into a lather, and lather up his beard.
  4. Use a razor, and shave just like you'd shave yourself. I'm not gonna get into the debate over whether you should shave down with the direction of the whiskers, or up at the opposite angle--that's a religious battle.

1. If it's really long, use the scissors to take off as much of the length as you can.
  2. Wet it thoroughly.
  4. Use a razor, and shave just like you'd shave yourself. I'm not gonna get into the debate over whether you should shave down with the direction of the whiskers, or up at the opposite angle--that's a religious battle.

Thanks, you guys! :D (Also, I shave my legs UPward.)

2. Wet it thoroughly.

with the direction then against it is what i have always done.

You use a towel? I barely wet mine with a handful of water. I don't mind shaving with no gel, either, if the razor is sharp enough.

I always go against the grain.

well i have not had to shave in a while but generally,if i am home,i will use a towel,i am really into shaving,i even bought one of those kits with the brush and all the tools.

i began to go with then against after i read this article on the proper way to shave in gq magazine a few years ago.

but you are correct,everyone has their own opinion on which way to go,and it can become a heated battle .

2. Wet it thoroughly.

You use a towel? I barely wet mine with a handful of water. I don't mind shaving with no gel, either, if the razor is sharp enough.
Yeah, but wouldn't you get razor burn without gel?

well i have not had to shave in a while but generally,if i am home,i will use a towel,i am really into shaving,i even bought one of those kits with the brush and all the tools.

i began to go with then against after i read this article on the proper way to shave in gq magazine a few years ago.

but you are correct,everyone has their own opinion on which way to go,and it can become a heated battle .

Indeed. I hate shaving, so I try not to do it more than once a week :o even though I really should do it every day. If I ever have a job that requires a bit less scruff, I'm going to get one of those straight razors & brush like you're talking about.

Yeah, but wouldn't you get razor burn without gel?

Not if the razor is sharp enough.

Nair_Bottle_20.jpg

[*]Use a razor, and shave just like you'd shave yourself. I'm not gonna get into the debate over whether you should shave down with the direction of the whiskers, or up at the opposite angle--that's a religious battle.

But you ought to have mentioned that you should use one of the higher quality, multi-blade razors!!! Anything worse than a Gillette Sensor is unaccaptable. My preference is the Gillette Mach 3 Turbo, which revolutionized shaving in my life.

2. Wet it thoroughly.

With the grain to get rid of excess length... Then against the grain to get rid of the shadow.

I've tried electric shavers and I completely hate 'em. Too bad - it would save me some money.

I've only ever had 2 wet shaves in my entire life!
once on holiday in Turkey in 1997.... this bloke shitting me up with a cut throat at my neck, cigarette in his mouth almost making me choke whilst this blade is at my skin:eek:
The second time was in Dublin before the first Olympia Theatre gig April 2006, I forgot to pack my shaver and hadn't shaved for 2 days as it was......

Jukebox 'Victor Kiyam' Jury

Back
Top Bottom