have you guys given up moderating the boards?

The main issue is not change and probability e&c.

I'll take empirical observation of nature, fallible though it is, over ludicrous myths dating from the cradle of humanity every day of the week and (with head bowed in reverence) twice on Sunday. The notion that science and religion are merely competing fairy tales is hogwash (a term I am using in honor of Mr. Dick Cheney, that stalwart partisan of Reality). Only independently observable facts really matter in this debate, and so far the only independently observable fact about Christianity I've seen is that there's been a Bible in every hotel room I've ever stayed in.

Again, to clarify: I do not flatly deny that a Creator exists. I cannot know that, and you rightly point out (and I admitted) that I have no answer as to what came before the big bang. I do say that any human attempt to institutionalize worship of said Creator, or use His will as justification for political action of any kind, is extremely dangerous. Our impasse, Kuiper, is that you regard the Bible as God's word and I don't.

As to the "why" of things-- moot point. There doesn't need to be a "why". I assure you that life is just as beautiful and good if there is no "why", and that a binding, firm, and humane morality is still possible in a universe without a "why" (although probably not in a universe without deodorant).

Last edited:
As for the galaxy and beyond, I do not go along with the theory of the big bang and an ever expanding or contracting universe. I just don’t see how scientists can "age" the universe. To me they have just reached a point where they cannot explain something (viz, the past being infinite, space going on forever, things that are beyond the scope of the human brain), and have come up with a theory that is no more scientifically solid than "God created it". There must be some kinds of bangs taking place, and all sorts of chemical explosions, creating and destroying planets and stars in the process, but not one that started time or created space.

Well, I think you need to research more on what the theory is about. It isn't just a guess from nothing. Sure, it might be wrong, but it is what our scientific community agrees on right now. They know from looking out into space that other objects in the universe are moving away from us. there is much more to it, but that is a key piece of evidence. Also, isn't it possible God made the universe through the big bang? A lot of scientists don't think a universe can expand and contract forever.

And the theory that not specifically the universe, but everything beyond it (possibly including a creator) is infinite, is a pretty logical theory. Even if the universe was created, that creator must be around for an infinite period of time. Things just don't pop out of now where. Therefore, I can take a guess that the universe (and beyond) and a possible creator have existed forever. Nothing could start if nothing existed in the first place.

I'll take empirical observation of nature, fallible though it is, over ludicrous myths dating from the cradle of humanity every day of the week and (with head bowed in reverence) twice on Sunday. The notion that science and religion are merely competing fairy tales is hogwash (a term I am using in honor of Mr. Dick Cheney, that stalwart partisan of Reality). Only independently observable facts really matter in this debate, and so far the only independently observable fact about Christianity I've seen is that there's been a Bible in every hotel room I've ever stayed in.

Again, to clarify: I do not flatly deny that a Creator exists. I cannot know that, and you rightly point out (and I admitted) that I have no answer as to what came before the big bang. I do say that any human attempt to institutionalize worship of said Creator, or use His will as justification for political action of any kind, is extremely dangerous. Our impasse, Kuiper, is that you regard the Bible as God's word and I don't.

As to the "why" of things-- moot point. There doesn't need to be a "why". I assure you that life is just as beautiful and good if there is no "why", and that a binding, firm, and humane morality is still possible in a universe without a "why" (although probably not in a universe without deoderant).

The "why" is not just a philosophical thing, it is a scientific thing. What existed before the big bang? What caused it to happen? How did it happen? Making guesses to those answers are not natural, not observable, and not empirical. Even if you can formulate a hypothesis (however incorrect it is) that at least makes an attempts to rationalize the atheistic view of the early stages of the universe, it doesn't compromise for the evidence weighing against later aspects of the greater atheistic scientific viewpoint (such as biological evolution). Even if you (atheists in general, not you you, Worm) can try to wrap your heads around these important questions, it doesn't invalid the observable, empirical data that mutations create extra genetic information, that radiometric dating is unreliable and inconsistent, that the fossil record is not full of missing links but whole missing chains and the tree of life lacks a trunk, and all the other things that prove beyond a reasonable doubt that this greater evolution hypothesis is false and that are constantly ignored and suppressed by so-called "scientists" who are a disgrace to the field.

Really you are trying to tackle three subjects at once: science, theology, and politics. Yes they are often related and have one thing (God) in common, but they all demand three different discussions. You say that you do not deny the possibility of a creator, that is within the realm of science. Then you say that this creator shouldn't be worshipped, which falls within theology. Why shouldn't the creator be worshipped? Doesn't the creator deserve esteem, and what if the creator asks to be worshipped? And then you return to the older topic of politics and its relation to religion (or visa versa). First you need to take in mind that there are different religions. They have different ideas on God(s) and beliefs. Because many people have used bad religions or have abused Christianity is not evidence that the big bang occured. You seem to be grasping at straws here, my good friend.

Well, I think you need to research more on what the theory is about. It isn't just a guess from nothing. Sure, it might be wrong, but it is what our scientific community agrees on right now. They know from looking out into space that other objects in the universe are moving away from us. there is much more to it, but that is a key piece of evidence. Also, isn't it possible God made the universe through the big bang? A lot of scientists don't think a universe can expand and contract forever.

And the theory that not specifically the universe, but everything beyond it (possibly including a creator) is infinite, is a pretty logical theory. Even if the universe was created, that creator must be around for an infinite period of time. Things just don't pop out of now where. Therefore, I can take a guess that the universe (and beyond) and a possible creator have existed forever. Nothing could start if nothing existed in the first place.

I didn't even read your post yet, but I didn't say that, I quoted it.

This is nicely stated, and by implication points out the crux of the problem for Christians. If what you said is correct, then the Bible is wrong-- maybe not in the essence of its teaching, but literally. If one rejects literalism, possibilities emerge. In fact, with some flexibility of imagination, one could envision a man who espoused all the naughty science we're talking about and believed in a Creator at the same time.

Why, he might even look like this chap:

albert-einstein.jpg

"I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." AE

Harmless back-parroting of Zenith's word. But I would have appreciated it more if you'd said, "Uh, Worm, the preferred nomenclature is Asian-American".

actually
having spent way too much time with many faux Asians(ie Asian Americans)
i have found that they oft say oriental most of the time
its just they aint want white people to use it
also
many non-Chinese refer to the Chinese as 'the Jews of Asia'
which always make me think of some kind of tai pan sailing around in a junk
& wearing a
Na-nach-nachma-yarmulke.jpg

What have you guys done to my thread!!

So i read the TOS Davidt posted...in my opinion, the trolls i listed did break numerous rules on numerous occasions. but whatever.

I was paraphrasing Morrissey. I am not Chinese. Long time since I spoke Mandarin or wrote pinyin, and I can't remember the tones of any of the words. But here you go.

wo - rhymes with whoah!
bu - rhymes with shoe
shi - sounds a bit like the beginning of 'shirt', but a much shorter "i" sound that drops away
zhang - zh is similar to a "jz" sound we'd make in english, "ang" rhymes with "hung"
gua - gwah
ren - the e is like we'd say in "err" or "erm"

Say after me: wo bu shi zhong guo ren.

What have you guys done to my thread!!

So i read the TOS Davidt posted...in my opinion, the trolls i listed did break numerous rules on numerous occasions. but whatever.

oh come now
you really did not expect david to do anything about it, did you?
besides, the tos
is more like what jackSparrow
depp-johnny-pirates.jpg

said of the code;
it is more what you'd call 'guidelines' than actual rules

i know, i got an idea
why dont we all 'pray on it'
and that'll fix it
(kneeling now)
amen!

The "why" is not just a philosophical thing, it is a scientific thing. What existed before the big bang? What caused it to happen? How did it happen? Making guesses to those answers are not natural, not observable, and not empirical. Even if you can formulate a hypothesis (however incorrect it is) that at least makes an attempts to rationalize the atheistic view of the early stages of the universe, it doesn't compromise for the evidence weighing against later aspects of the greater atheistic scientific viewpoint (such as biological evolution). Even if you (atheists in general, not you you, Worm) can try to wrap your heads around these important questions, it doesn't invalid the observable, empirical data that mutations create extra genetic information, that radiometric dating is unreliable and inconsistent, that the fossil record is not full of missing links but whole missing chains and the tree of life lacks a trunk, and all the other things that prove beyond a reasonable doubt that this greater evolution hypothesis is false and that are constantly ignored and suppressed by so-called "scientists" who are a disgrace to the field.

Really you are trying to tackle three subjects at once: science, theology, and politics. Yes they are often related and have one thing (God) in common, but they all demand three different discussions. You say that you do not deny the possibility of a creator, that is within the realm of science. Then you say that this creator shouldn't be worshipped, which falls within theology. Why shouldn't the creator be worshipped? Doesn't the creator deserve esteem, and what if the creator asks to be worshipped? And then you return to the older topic of politics and its relation to religion (or visa versa). First you need to take in mind that there are different religions. They have different ideas on God(s) and beliefs. Because many people have used bad religions or have abused Christianity is not evidence that the big bang occured. You seem to be grasping at straws here, my good friend.

Science is ongoing. The fact that there are unanswered questions, like holes in the fossil record, does not mean there are no answers. It means scientists have not discovered them. I don't imagine that the universe is wholly explainable now. It may never be. I am comfortable in the uncertainty, because what has been established as true is firm enough. (Evolution has not been debunked, by the way, despite what you claim.) I know nothing about plumbing but I'm reasonably sure that when I turn on the faucet water will flow from the tap.

A Creator is not in the realm of science. If He exists at all, science is in the realm of the Creator. How will we understand Him? Through a cobbled-together book written by a collection of agrarian patriarchs and rag-tag mystics thousands of years ago or modern science? With all its faults, the latter-- and it's not even close. Is the idea that God set the Big Bang in motion so impossible to believe? Is that not more interesting than a snake tempting a naked tart in a forest? Couldn't we find, if we looked for it, just as strong a moral code in a universe created by God through the Big Bang in harmony with observable scientific laws? A more...natural morality? A more adaptable, complex, and fluid morality, just like nature itself? (Ssssh. We don't want to wake Nietzsche.)

Why would the Creator deserve esteem? There is no compelling reason for worship. You're making God in your own image, like humans have always done. The irony of your conception of God and mine is that, to the extent that I acknowledge a Creator at all, I conceive of Him as having so much more mystery than you do. My god is more godlike. But of course God is not as mysterious to you because you have His words-- and, again, this is the stumbling block we will not get past.

I am not confused in my framing of the question as scientific, philosophical, and political. I mentioned politics because that is what drew me into this debate ("God sanctions war"). I am not opposed to personal religious belief, but I think lines should be drawn to keep religion away from the state. I was merely swinging back to an older point.

Nor did I use the mythological character of the great religions as proof of the Big Bang. That is a knight leap of logic I didn't make, and flies in the face of what I have been talking about, namely that our sense of the universe should rest on empirical observations of nature. Didn't I say that? I thought I said that somewhere. The grasping hands are illusory, the straws are yours.

Last edited:
Heh. Nice carving. Sword (phallus) and grail (womb). The thing's an allegory for f***ing. Medieval spank material. I have to admit, Christianity is dead sexy.

Heh. Nice carving. Sword (phallus) and grail (womb). The thing's an allegory for f***ing. Medieval spank material. I have to admit, Christianity is dead sexy.

yeah, medevial stuff is rad
knight.jpg

i have a serious knight complex
blackknight.jpg

made more ridiculous by now feeling god is dead
westminster_psalter.jpg

ergo
love is a lie as well?
:eek:

Knights love lies. Surely you've read "Don Quixote" in your travels?

Ever been to the hall of armor at The Met in NYC? It's the holy grail for knight lovers.

P.S. The first JPEG was a poster I once had on my wall. "La belle dame sans merci", after Keats I imagine. I was on a Pre-Raph kick.

Last edited:
Knights love lies. Surely you've read "Don Quixote" in your travels?

Ever been to the hall of armor at The Met in NYC? It's the holy grail for knight lovers.

P.S. The first JPEG was a poster I once had on my wall. "La belle dame sans merci", after Keats I imagine. I was on a Pre-Raph kick.

i luv Cervantes, an awesome man
i even liked
posl_pic1.jpg

also
picassoquichote.jpg

its too bad gilliam aint get to make his quixote pic
and
yes ive been to the exhibit
BUT NOT AS LONG AS I WANTED TO
it bored my then wife
:cool:

We may not know what came before the big bang, but to magically jump to the idea that some thing created it poses and creates far more unanswerable questions that it could ever answer. As most scientists will no doubt agree, it was probably a very simple reaction that, in turn, yielded enormously complex results.

Kuiper, honestly, I hate people like you. I'm far less polite than Worm, so I have no problem with saying that. You, just like every other fundamentalist, arrive at the answer first and then mould the means to fit, participating in willful ignorance and bald-faced lies along the way. You just have a better vocabulary and grander intellectual acumen, so your lies sound a pinch more believable. And, please, stop f***ing saying you love everyone.

I'm f***ing off. Not coming back. Despise you all. Straw. Camel.

Back
Top Bottom