Have Morrissey's recent political statements affected your appreciation of his music?

Have Morrissey's recent political statements affected your appreciation of his music?

• No, I still love his music as much as ever before

Votes: 37 71.2%
  • Yes, I still love his music but slightly less than I used to

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Yes, I find it harder and harder to listen to the music

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Yes, I've sold all my Moz-records and/or deleted his songs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I'm c***skinny and always knew he was a racist/fascist so why would I listen to any of his music

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Put it this way I won't be visiting his Frink thread anytime soon. I see a more hard edge to his face and maybe it's my cataracts but a shadow like a black moustache above his upper lip.

His music and his persona have always been one thing. They are both equally admirable and I don't see the need to separate one from the other.

Music wise nothing changes - I adore some stuff and other music will wash over me. I will never attempt to see him live again as I attended both Glasgow and Ally Pally concert in recent tour. I keep hoping all this is him just pressing the media's buttons but at the end of day we thankfully live in a democracy and he has the right to express his opinions as have I...

Last edited:
Naw, Moz never really said anything that stuck in my craw.
I'm over here thinkin' that if Moz is racist, it's more of a disgust with the human race.
When it comes to Pure T, it's the music for me.
Oh and don't think I forgot that Moz stood up against Turkey Murder either.

Love his music even more now. He's definitely winding up all the right people.
All these fans writing break up letters cracks me up. Hope we get some more great Morrissey interviews in the coming weeks. A culling is in order.

Love his music even more now. He's definitely winding up all the right people.
All these fans writing break up letters cracks me up. Hope we get some more great Morrissey interviews in the coming weeks. A culling is in order.
Makes you wonder what they've been hearing all these years.

Here cones the dumb londoner, I really think you are one of those fat people who's entire use of language is based around an episode of the Sweeny. While you insight and IQ skims around the edge of retardation
The funny thing is you think morrissey is serious and joined your lot. He's just taking the piss, again. Chris Hitch was bought and paid for at the end of his career as well.
You are miles away from getting him, but you know you can pretend the Ally Pally gig was his best gig ever.you can pretend morrissey is at the peak of his powers, that's up to you.
White prole Londoners are consideted scum by the rest of the country, dumb beer lard bells who can't dress properly. We all know you are one of those mouth breathers who finish each sentence with the word 'mate'. Man you are dim
leave the Sweeney out of this and at least spell it right.

There's a Jim Jefferies show where he talks about peadophiles and talks about how good you are relates to how much people will tolerate. So, people still love Elvis and Michael Jackson, less so Gary Glitter although I have to say the Glitter Band were a solid outfit.

I feel the same way with Morrissey, it's made me think what I can and can't do without. I should have some free time in three or four weeks and much of my collection is getting a cull, records, bits of shirt etc. I don't feel any attachment now in a collector way.

It's an interesting theory that being "good" can allow people to accept or ignore things about a musician or actor. I don't really think it's true though. I think it's more complicated than that. With Michael Jackson for example a lot of his music was unlistenable crap, but at the same time the charges against him were never really proven. I don't think his popularity suffered as much in the rest of the world as it did in the US but he was pretty much ruined here. Then when he died, because everyone loves to take a selfie at the graveyard and talk about how much his music always meant to them, he was sort of forgiven.
The other thing about the people you're mentioning is that with Elvis it was more like a rumor that he liked young teenage fans. I don't think he was hanging out at the park or anything. I don't think he belongs on the same list as Jackson and definitely not as Gary Glitter.
I have been listening to Morrissey a lot the past few days and most of the things that were great still are. None of those things are on the past several records though and I'm never going to spend money to see him or buy anything. I wish I'd sold some things before now because I imagine the value has dropped.

I have been listening to Morrissey a lot the past few days and most of the things that were great still are.

I agree with you here Truth. For me the crazy posts coincided with my lack of enthusiasm for his music. So for me his current output musically and otherwise is just something to be "endured". When I hear his music played on Sirius radio it takes me back to a time when I remember how much he meant to me and how his lyrics were so artful. My memories of all of his past great music is somehow locked away, removed from the splatter of The Daily Mail no matter what he chooses to expose or espouse today.

I could be wrong, but burring one's head in the sand may be the best option here. I won't let him ruin what I built most of my life around. I owe that much to myself.

I agree with you here Truth. For me the crazy posts coincided with my lack of enthusiasm for his music. So for me his current output musically and otherwise is just something to be "endured". When I hear his music played on Sirius radio it takes me back to a time when I remember how much he meant to me and how his lyrics were so artful. My memories of all of his past great music is somehow locked away, removed from the splatter of The Daily Mail no matter what he chooses to expose or espouse today.

I could be wrong, but burring one's head in the sand may be the best option here. I won't let him ruin what I built most of my life around. I owe that much to myself.

A lot of the great artists, writers, philosophers, scientists, etc from history did or said things that would definitely affect how you feel about them as people but the things they created don't have to be affected by it. I just kind of wish he would shut up but he wrote some of the best lyrics and I still like listening to his music.
Also it bothers Uncleskinny. :thumb::guitar:

My two cents: short of something properly terrible - a Jimmy Savile level 'revelation' - Morrissey can't do anything to impinge on my enjoyment of anything he's made thus far. I don't, for example, listen to the Smiths these days, and think 'Jesus, what a contemptible bastard he is in 2018' - rather, I think 'what a marginalised individual he felt like in 1982' etc.

Context is context though, and now, on LiHS, with a track like "I Bury the Living," I do find myself listening and thinking: 'this is misguided, ham-fisted and clumsy - perhaps even offensive.' Seems to me personally that when he avoids explicit, song-long forays into politics (pretty much everything 1982-2010)* he's fine. World Peace... onward I have found largely intolerable, and saved only by the nostalgic whimpering of his that I've grown so much to love (e.g. "Oboe Concerto," "Jacky's Only Happy..." etc.).

As with anything though - and I think this is often forgotten on this forum - it's each to their own, isn't it. I do wish he'd shut up with silly comments about Hitler etc., but if I don't like it, I ignore it and admit to people who ask me why I'm a fan that that aspect isn't part of my adoration.

*I am aware of songs like "The National Front Disco" and "Irish Blood..." - these are about emotion first, then a political connection; they are not, to my ears, the same as "World Peace..." or *shudder* "Israel"

My two cents: short of something properly terrible - a Jimmy Savile level 'revelation' - Morrissey can't do anything to impinge on my enjoyment of anything he's made thus far. I don't, for example, listen to the Smiths these days, and think 'Jesus, what a contemptible bastard he is in 2018' - rather, I think 'what a marginalised individual he felt like in 1982' etc.

Context is context though, and now, on LiHS, with a track like "I Bury the Living," I do find myself listening and thinking: 'this is misguided, ham-fisted and clumsy - perhaps even offensive.' Seems to me personally that when he avoids explicit, song-long forays into politics (pretty much everything 1982-2010)* he's fine. World Peace... onward I have found largely intolerable, and saved only by the nostalgic whimpering of his that I've grown so much to love (e.g. "Oboe Concerto," "Jacky's Only Happy..." etc.).

As with anything though - and I think this is often forgotten on this forum - it's each to their own, isn't it. I do wish he'd shut up with silly comments about Hitler etc., but if I don't like it, I ignore it and admit to people who ask me why I'm a fan that that aspect isn't part of my adoration.

*I am aware of songs like "The National Front Disco" and "Irish Blood..." - these are about emotion first, then a political connection; they are not, to my ears, the same as "World Peace..." or *shudder* "Israel"
Morrissey has been saying things that piss a lot of people off since 1983. What has changed? If Islam was so common in Britain back in the 80s he'd have criticized it then - without a doubt. In fact if Islam was common in late 1800s London Karl Marx himself would have criticized it. Would that have made Marx right wing too? 'Religion is the opium of the masses' remember.

Great post, but how about songs like Ambitious Outsiders or Sorrow Will Come in the End, or Margaret on the Guillotine, Bengali in Platforms? They are/were pretty unpleasant/offensive too but no one seemed to mind back then, certainly not the fans/anyone on this website.
Anyway, interesting to see that a good 70 % are not affected by his latest political outspokenness as I think it should be. I don't agree with his politics, just like I never agreed on his 'militant vegetarianism', but it certainly has never diminished my love of the music. To me those things should (and can easily) be seperated. You just wouldn't think so reading all the bully's/trolls' comments on the main page :crazy:

Great post, but how about songs like Ambitious Outsiders or Sorrow Will Come in the End, or Margaret on the Guillotine, Bengali in Platforms? They are/were pretty unpleasant/offensive too but no one seemed to mind back then, certainly not the fans/anyone on this website.
Anyway, interesting to see that a good 70 % are not affected by his latest political outspokenness as I think it should be. I don't agree with his politics, just like I never agreed on his 'militant vegetarianism', but it certainly has never diminished my love of the music. To me those things should (and can easily) be seperated. You just wouldn't think so reading all the bully's/trolls' comments on the main page :crazy:
But there are also many fans who feel more admiration for Morrissey than ever now - who think, now there is a true individual, a true freethinking rebel - speaking his mind and knowing full well the mud that will be thrown. I'm sure there are many who, like me, find the music sounds even better, fresher, more relevant now.

Last edited:
But there are also many fans who feel more admiration for Morrissey than ever now - who think, noe there is a true individual, a true freethinking rebel - speaking his mind and knowing full well the mud that will be thrown. I'm sure there are many who, like me, find the music sounds even better, fresher, more relevant now.

There is nothing freethinking about repeating political views whether right or left. There is nothing individual about saying that you never vote but then pushing politics. That's more lazy and self indulgent than anything. Don't we all know someone that loves to have a few drinks and listen to themselves talk?

And he may gain some new right wing fans. Until they actually listen to the music.

He has become a sad little man.

The sentiment behind "I Bury the Living" is ridiculous and patronsising. That police song is rubbish too.

Back
Top Bottom