Has Morrissey ever commented on…

when i need ambiance musak, i put on new order.

maybe i'll give joy division a try.
i mean, after all, i used to loathe the smiths some 4 years ago. I was 13. Forgive me.

No need to forgive, 13 just sux!!
Thirteen was a horrible age for me.....Now thirteen years later I find myself going through a mid-20's crisis which is just as bad in it's own way. :(

Anyway, I was given the 4disc HEART & SOUL Box Set and that's how I got into Ian Curtis, however, for anyone new trying to get into JD and their greatness, PERMANENT is the way to go.

In a 1991 interview, Bernard Sumner (with a certain J. Marr) said that he would "twat" Morrissey if he ever met him. It's the same interview Johnny mentions 'Dorrissey', I guess relations were still pretty hostile between them at that time.

Is this interview online and does anybody have a link for it?? I've been dying to read about this 'dorrissey' stuff, hehe :)

Ps, I love Joy Division :)

Last edited:
Is this interview online and does anybody have a link for it?? I've been dying to read about this 'dorrissey' stuff, hehe

Ps, I love Joy Division :)

I read it online but I seem to be having trouble finding it atm :mad: . I can remember a few more details but it doesn't seem to be helping me find the interview, unless it's been removed or whatever. Bernard started the interview with a joke about carrying Ian's ashes around in a box :rolleyes: . Someone had left a magazine open at a page promoting Morrissey's new single (Don't think it specified which but I would guess 'Sing Your Life' or 'Our Frank' from the time bracket) and Johnny said that it had obviously been done to provoke a reaction. The interviewer said "I hear they call him "Moz"' in an attempt at sarcasm and Johnny said "Dorrissey, did you say?". :( . Tis a good interview if only I can find the link.

There was also the Details interview in which, as Bernard Sumner, Johnny Marr, and the interviewer sit around a table talking over drinks, "Hand In Glove" comes on the jukebox. It is suggested that Bernard could have sung the song better than Morrissey, and Marr quietly but clearly offers his agreement.

There was also the Details interview in which, as Bernard Sumner, Johnny Marr, and the interviewer sit around a table talking over drinks, "Hand In Glove" comes on the jukebox. It is suggested that Bernard could have sung the song better than Morrissey, and Marr quietly but clearly offers his agreement.

It's a long way from "When we first rehearsed (Hand in Glove, etc) together I would have done anything for him". Bernard sing better than Morrissey? :p behave Johnny :o

I'm sure I've read Rourke and/or Joyce refering to him as Dorrissey in interviews so it sounds like it was a joke between the three of them in the band for when Moz wasn't around.

I'm sure I've read Rourke and/or Joyce refering to him as Dorrissey in interviews so it sounds like it was a joke between the three of them in the band for when Moz wasn't around.

Quite possible, though slightly malicious and cowardly, and there is the rumour that Marr called him "Stephanie" during arguments :rolleyes: . Bet that went down well.

I hadn't heard the Stephanie thing before, but I wouldn't be overly surprised if it were true unfortunatly.

At least it would have been to his face rather than some shadowy in-joke behind his back though. Tis weird, Johnny Marr would be the last person I expected those things from, same goes for most of us I think. I'm not saying they shouldn't argue but, God, did it have to get so petty :rolleyes:

Doesn't surprise me at all. I'm always surprised how Marr has maintained this perfect image when to me often in interviews he comes across as bitter and quite arrogant. If Morrissey had come out with that recent dismissive quote about "twerps on the internet" I think it might have generated quite a few comments on this board. I think too many years of people telling him what a great guy he is has gone to his head.

Joy Division just weren't pop music, nor were they really punk, and Morrissey has never liked that sort of thing: long songs, unusual structures, heavy production, synths and drum machines, a more avant garde flavor of despair and alienation, and so forth.
Life . . . life, life is a pigsty.

Like I said, it's just a guess. I believe Morrissey when he says he doesn't like Ian's voice. I also think-- and he has never talked about this to my knowledge-- he would regard Ian's lyrics as rubbish.

Mostly it's about style. In the few years before The Smiths formed, Joy Division were seen as dour and colorless, trenchcoated precursors of the "New Romantics", and if the first year or two of The Smiths are anything to go by (summed up by gladioli all over the Hacienda floor), there couldn't have been more of a contrast of aesthetic sensibilities. Joy Division just weren't pop music, nor were they really punk, and Morrissey has never liked that sort of thing: long songs, unusual structures, heavy production, synths and drum machines, a more avant garde flavor of despair and alienation, and so forth.
Magazine?

And if anyone was dour and colorless, it was Nico.

I've never ever heard Joy Division called the precursors of New Romantics, though. I really don't see any connection. :confused:

edit: P.S. I adore Nico. And Magazine. And Joy Division.

Last edited:
like all pro wrestlers, Morrissey wants to humiliate the competition

Where did you read it? I've never read any Rourke or Joyce interview where they called Moz "Dorrissey" or anything of the sort. Incidentally, in every interview with Joyce I've ever read/saw, he always talks of Morrissey with a lot of respect and admiration (!)

Back
Top Bottom