Hand in Glove Lyric Question.

Something randomly occurred to me as I listened to this song the other day. I don't know what Morrissey sings after "Oh I really don't know and I really don't care." I haven't known for 20+ years, so it's hardly pressing. It sounds like "It's my share" but I don't really know? Anybody have the answer? This is trivial crap of the kind I just hypocritically railed against in another post, and I will hardly die if I don't find the answer, but I'm just...curious. And if you're going to make something up to mock this question, please be creative and, preferably, funny.

Kiss My Shades.

At first I thought he was saying, 'This Charming Man,' much like how he plugged 'Hand in Glove' during 'Pretty Girls Make Graves.' Occasionally I still sing that when the song is playing :o But Peter's right, it's 'kiss my shades.' He never sang these lyrics live.

Keeeesss my-y-y shaades...:guitar:

I used to think it was 'Keep my share'.

What does 'Kiss my shades mean?" :crazy:

Something randomly occurred to me as I listened to this song the other day. I don't know what Morrissey sings after "Oh I really don't know and I really don't care." I haven't known for 20+ years, so it's hardly pressing. It sounds like "It's my share" but I don't really know? Anybody have the answer?.

Used to bug me that for a while as well. Ive always gone with "It's my share" as well. Makes the most sense at least.

Unrelated: ^ Vacancy, you have a brilliant ani-sig there :)

Last edited:
At first I thought he was saying, 'This Charming Man,' much like how he plugged 'Hand in Glove' during 'Pretty Girls Make Graves.' Occasionally I still sing that when the song is playing :o But Peter's right, it's 'kiss my shades.' He never sang these lyrics live.

I always undertood that he's sung "kiss my shades", however, I don't know where he got this phrase from - If it's quotation or belongs to him.

What does 'Kiss my shades mean?" :crazy:

I imagine it's from some novel or screenplay or play.. I don't know.

Something randomly occurred to me as I listened to this song the other day. I don't know what Morrissey sings after "Oh I really don't know and I really don't care." I haven't known for 20+ years, so it's hardly pressing. It sounds like "It's my share" but I don't really know? Anybody have the answer? This is trivial crap of the kind I just hypocritically railed against in another post, and I will hardly die if I don't find the answer, but I'm just...curious. And if you're going to make something up to mock this question, please be creative and, preferably, funny.

... For someone who's "just curious"... you tried too hard to justify yourself.

I am interested in words, and have always been a lyric-head for whatever band I listen or have listened to, from The Smiths to Macabre to I Fight Dragons to...whoever. I don't have to justify myself. I think it's obvious I like and have an interest in Morrissey/The Smiths. But the weird hardcore obsessives here who want to know where he was for breakfast or want to know about some trivial detail from a 1984 recording session I find disturbing and boring in equal measure.

Why is it Kiss My Shades? Is it because the sun is shining so brightly out of our behinds we gotta wear shades? Am i missing something here?

Last edited:
Doesn't sound AT ALL like 'kiss my shades' (the last not sounding like a word Moz would use) to me. It sounds like it rhymes with 'care' to me. Why would it be 'kiss my shades'?

Ah f*** it, don't even answer. It doesn't matter. At all.

Last edited:
Why is it Kiss My Shades? Is it because the sun is shining so brightly out of our behinds we gotta wear shades? Am i missing something here?

It is "Kiss My Shades".
We know that because it is the etching on the 7" vinyl. The B-side says "Kiss my shades too".

It is "Kiss My Shades".
We know that because it is the etching on the 7" vinyl. The B-side says "Kiss my shades too".

Mozz was the "A' side supposedly......Johnny was the "B" side and said lets make it "Kiss My Shades too".....I remember reading that somewhere.....liked it so much I made it my "handle" here.

Mozz was the "A' side supposedly......Johnny was the "B" side and said lets make it "Kiss My Shades too".....I remember reading that somewhere.....liked it so much I made it my "handle" here.

Thank you for clarifying!

Geez, ok, learnt something on here then.

Back
Top Bottom