Getting into new artists and past musical tastes

peptastic

Do you actively search music mags for new music? Online radio stations [last.fm, pandora, playlists], youtube or word of mouth? Or are you content to say "Music of the '90s meant more. there are no good bands out there anymore"?

I do agree with John Frusciante who said that electronic music was the last great musical instrument invented but I'm not fearing for new music yet.

My twin sis has stated numerous times without her I'd only be listening to Morrissey and the Smiths.
I think she was being unfair but I do seriously take her recommendations into consideration.
I have gotten into many favourites from her. She's more pro-active about finding new bands than I am.

These days I hear bands from numerous sources. I never listen to local radio or watch mtv like I did in my childhood. I hear music in films, last.fm & pandora, youtube playlists and the like. lala.com was great when it was around.

In my toddler years-
I listened to whatever my mom listened to. Thus I grew up on David Bowie from the crib.
The cars song "moving in stereo' frightened my older brother, my twin and I to pieces.

My earliest memories are of hating the band foreigner especially 'I've been waiting for a girl like you". I still don't like them. I formed a life long love of the band the police since I was a toddler.

Best- David Bowie & the police
Worst-Madonna

My youth [3-9 yoa]-
My older sister dominated my taste. She picked the radio stations on car trips, mtv, and the radio.
I loved INXS in the late '80s during the time everyone loved the hair bands poison and def lepard.
There was some good stuff but I only knew one new order song 'true faith' because without the internet I had to hope the dj said the artists name on the radio. I remember taping other new order songs off the radio during my childhood.

Best- INXS & the labyrinth soundtrack.
Worst- Def lepard, Whitney Houston Richard Marx, dirty dancing soundtrack.

I was an indentured servant to my older sis to borrow such "classics" like Belinda Carlisle, Hall & Oates and Samantha Fox tapes.
My mom tortured us with Tracy Chapman and Tom Petty.
Ugh Rod Stewart too. I went as far as to hide all Don Henly/the eagles before any long trip to Tennessee.

My preteen years. [10-13]
I was on my own away from my older sister's influence. I watched NBC's nightflight program, the radio, mtv & vh1.
I became a diehard Sting fan and finally got my own tapes of his stuff.
MTV started switching to rap in these days.
My peers loved Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men. They weren't telling me about anything good.

Worst- Tommy Page when I was 12 and continued fandom of Madonna.
Best- Sting, the police & u2. This is around the time I became a collector and had to have everything rather than tape some songs off the radio.
I liked nirvana, Tori Amos, PJ Harvey, etc.

My teen years- [14-17]
MTV alternative nation was great at the time. I loved vh1's 'big in the 80s' show.
I became a cure fan from beavis & butthead [and Moz too] and loved depeche mode & radiohead.
When I got the internet at age 16 I started checking out all kinds of stuff from other fans best of lists. I got to hear about joy division, the smiths, leonard cohen, etc.
The internet made it so much easier to track down what songs you heard from movies or on the radio.
I didn't have to rely on entertainment weekly saying only Garbage and Hole were any good.

I think the internet has helped me tremendously find about great artists from around the world. I shudder to think relying on radio bought out by record companies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can safely assume that I'm a good bit older than you, but I still very much like discovering "new" music, or at least music that's new to me. These days, I mostly do it through last.fm, music magazines, the local college radio station, and my 16-year-old daughter, who has exquisite taste for someone her age. I wouldn't have started listening to a good number of artists/bands if she didn't find them first (Butch Walker, of Montreal, and Neutral Milk Hotel immediately come to mind).

To break it down: I listened to whatever mom did til about age 9. This was mostly soft rock on the radio, most of which was awful. And, yes, I developed a hatred of Foreigner during those years, too. Then I got a few records of my own, based on what I heard on the radio that I liked (Wham! was my favorite. Please feel free to snicker behind my back). I added to my record/tape collection into my early teen years, but my collection still consisted of things I heard on the radio, which was mostly pop. When I started to hear bands like U2, Depeche Mode, Siouxsie and the Banshees, and the Sugarcubes, my tastes took a turn towards more alternative.

Then I read about Morrissey in a magazine. I had to hear some.

I would try my best to stay up late Sunday nights to catch 120 Minutes on MTV, I heard a couple of his songs, then of course there was his appearance on The Tonight Show (Johnny Carson). When I finally got Your Arsenal in 1992, Moz edged out George Michael in the favorite slot.

It would have been different for me, I'm sure, if I'd grown up elsewhere, where radio was good, or with cooler parents, or with older siblings, or in the internet age. But I'm glad to have all the resources now for music.

I got into the sugarcubes too. :) Good memories.
I picked out the wham! christmas album for my sister one year. She was mad and paid me back with Bowie's 'never let me down' two years later. I didn't want that album.

Kids are lucky today aren't they? They have so many more resources.

First of all...really good post.

Secondly...I have found a few new bands (post-2000 is "new" to me) that I like a lot, but none that I like as much as I love Morrissey or any of the groups that saw me unsafely through adolescence.

Lastly, I definitely disagree with you that kids today are "lucky" where music is concerned. I understand why you say what you do, but I wouldn't trade places with a 15 year old to save my life.

Unless, of course, I could.

I shudder to think relying on radio bought out by record companies.

I understand, yet this is simply how things worked from the 50s until within the last few years. Are you gonna write off 50 years of great rock and roll because of corporate politics?

Well, there are many resources on the internet, but many people don't really use them. The whole internet thing only works if you are looking for the interesting sites.

Most people seem to be quite happy with the crap 95 percent of the radio stations have to offer and couldn`t care less to eyplore new and exciting music. I'm lucky to live in a region with a couple of quality stations, but then I know of many areas where not one of these exists.

Having said this I still love radio. And as some of you already mentioned radio was pretty good up till a couple of years ago. It was (and still is to a lesser extent) major influence to develop my musical preferences. Well I'm getting nostalgic.

I've always found it interesting to explore other peoples favourites. I agree that the internet adds more options nowadays. I can now discuss on a worlwide level really.

I understand, yet this is simply how things worked from the 50s until within the last few years. Are you gonna write off 50 years of great rock and roll because of corporate politics?

Not by any means. I don't like autotune or hearing Stainds "it's been awhiillllllllllllllllllllllllllle" on every station but no I haven't written the radios purpose.
For me personally I just prefer online radio.

The music of my teen years though... yes. When mtv went to Total Request Live things went down the drain. They had music blocks and played the same videos every hour.
I lived through two teen boy band crazes. I was 17 when spice girls came onto the scene. I liked the "5th new kid" sadly.. Tommy Page.
I did develop a theory I was later proven to be incorrect that boy bands were like the chicken pox. You only suffered it once. It turns out people genuinely like boy bands. Who am I to turn my nose up if they want to listen to it? I try not to be a music snob.

I was like those little teens on youtube writing they wish they were around when the runaways were together. "Why isn't music like it was then?" then you realise you have all that backlog of music AND new stuff. You just keep getting more.
You just lose out when it comes to great live acts not being around.
My 6 year old niece was putting in Jimi Hendrex and Beatles cds in for herself by the time she was 3. The classics won't go anywhere unless we live in a musical version of Fahrenheit 451.

I did read in Sweden Morrissey is what the jocks listen to. Jens Lekman was beaten up for *whispers* not liking Moz.
It depends on where you live.

First of all...really good post.

Secondly...I have found a few new bands (post-2000 is "new" to me) that I like a lot, but none that I like as much as I love Morrissey or any of the groups that saw me unsafely through adolescence.

Lastly, I definitely disagree with you that kids today are "lucky" where music is concerned. I understand why you say what you do, but I wouldn't trade places with a 15 year old to save my life.

Unless, of course, I could.

I just mean kids today have all the old stuff and the new stuff. They are missing out on everything else.
Freedom to spend the day how they want it for example. This craze to plan every second of a childs life is ridiclious.
I'd hate to grow up today too. Imagine being bullied on the internet too. When school was out we could ditch school. Now it follows them home.

The music of my youth holds a special place in my heart too.
I'd rather go back in time and give myself advice then relive it. What If I were jonesing to listen to say The National but couldn't because I was stuck in 1995? Yuck. But really it would be over waiting for Harry Potter to come out again. I would not choose to go back.

Back
Top Bottom