Gary Day's finest moment?

Definately the time he saved a burning baby from a building...

I like the bass on Seasick, Yet Still Docked.

My fav ever bassline is on There Is A Light, but I suppose the praise goes to Andy for that!

Gary was gold on Your Arsenal, but Johnny wrote some great bass lines on Vauxhall & I.

My favorites from both-
Gary: Seasick, I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday, Tomorrow, the end of Nat'l Front Disco.

Johnny: Dagenham Dave, The More You Ignore Me..., I Am Hated For Loving, The Lazy Sunbathers.

Gary was gold on Your Arsenal, but Johnny wrote some great bass lines on Vauxhall & I.

Someone other than the guitarists write the bass? I recall reading on Boz's website someone saying Spring-Heeled Jim as one of their favorite bass lines and asking Boz if he wrote it and he said he did (implying the song as a whole). Also I remember in Songs that Saved Your Life the language used implied that Andy wrote the bass lines. If this is so then it is incredibly unjust that only Johnny, Alain, Boz, Stephen, etc. are credited as songwriters. But one dilemma I find is that Gary has been credited as a co-writer on some songs, unless that means he wrote parts other than just the bass. Anyway I'll stop rambling here about the implications of instrument prejudice and composer politics.

Someone other than the guitarists write the bass? I recall reading on Boz's website someone saying Spring-Heeled Jim as one of their favorite bass lines and asking Boz if he wrote it and he said he did (implying the song as a whole). Also I remember in Songs that Saved Your Life the language used implied that Andy wrote the bass lines. If this is so then it is incredibly unjust that only Johnny, Alain, Boz, Stephen, etc. are credited as songwriters. But one dilemma I find is that Gary has been credited as a co-writer on some songs, unless that means he wrote parts other than just the bass. Anyway I'll stop rambling here about the implications of instrument prejudice and composer politics.

of course andy rourke composed the basslines on smiths' songs. :rolleyes:

and what a musician he is...

'still ill'
'this charming man'
'nowhere fast'
'frankly, mr. shankly'
'rusholme ruffians'
'the headmaster ritual'
'heaven knows i'm...'
'accept yourself'
'bigmouth strikes again'

listen to the bass guitar on these songs. his contribution to the songs is - very unfairly - almost always overlooked and i agree with you on your comment about songwriting credits.

he is far, far better than any of those that has played with morrissey, post-smiths.

re. gary day, i'd say 'i will see you in far off places'.

I think "To Me You Are a Work of Art" has a fantastic bass line.
During the chorus it melts into a melody line in its own right.

Gary's playing combines sensitivity and strength, wholly approriate for Moz's songs ... both live and in the studio.
I hope we see him back again soon.

'still ill'
'this charming man'
'nowhere fast'
'frankly, mr. shankly'
'rusholme ruffians'
'the headmaster ritual'
'heaven knows i'm...'
'accept yourself'
'bigmouth strikes again'
and of course 'Barbarism Begins At Home". That song is based on bassline more than anything.

That point has been brought up, Kuiper, I remember it mentioned in some discussions (not necessarily on this forum) and I remember I read an interview with Andy where the interviewer was suggesting that he should have gotten songwriting credits for some songs at least.

But this probably means opening another can of worms...

i have not found the source yet so do not hang me... but i am 99% sure i read an interview with Marr in which he referred to the fact or implied or maybe straight out said that he, johnny marr, wrote most of the smiths basslines... again.. i could be stoned, i dunno, but i am SURE i read something to that effect circa 1996 or 1997...

if that is so, and i believe it is, andy is as much of a hack as his career post morrissey has shown us.

'still ill'
'this charming man'
'nowhere fast'
'frankly, mr. shankly'
'rusholme ruffians'
'the headmaster ritual'
'heaven knows i'm...'
'accept yourself'
'bigmouth strikes again'

listen to the bass guitar on these songs. his contribution to the songs is - very unfairly - almost always overlooked and i agree with you on your comment about songwriting credits.

he is far, far better than any of those that has played with morrissey, post-smiths.

re. gary day, i'd say 'i will see you in far off places'.

Back
Top Bottom