Gail Shea spokesperson responds to Morrissey's statement about Canadian seal hunt

A spokesperson for Gail Shea has responded to Morrissey's comments :

Morrissey attacks Fisheries Minister Gail Shea in blog post claiming ‘Canada’s sorry image is due entirely to its seal slaughter’ - National Post

Excerpt:

A spokesperson for Shea has responded to Morrissey’s statement, saying his comments “reveal a total ignorance of the Canadian seal hunt.”

Anyone who takes a careful look at the seal hunt will see that it is humane, sustainable, and well-regulated,” minister spokesperson Sophie Doucet said in an email to the Post. “In fact, the process used in the seal hunt was designed by international veterinary experts, and is the most stringent of any wild animal hunt in the world.

This is clearly just another case of a millionaire celebrity, desperate for a hobby, shamelessly regurgitating misinformation and myths that fringe animal-rights groups have been pushing for years. In the future, I would urge Mr. Morrissey to consider the impact that his ignorant and inflammatory statements have on the livelihoods of thousands of hard-working men and women in rural communities."

gail-shea.jpg

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: is Gail Shea an idiot? yes, but Morrissey seems to be too

Hi Johnny,
I'm a little confused here because disagree with you as I might sometimes, I always trust what you write.
However, you say it is a small group of scientists that support the idea of human affected climate change.
But surely it is the vast majority of scientists who argue this?
Is it not a minority who deny climate change?
Also, is it not a little disingenuous to cite a single instance of a scientist sending a dishonest E-mail as evidence of the whole idea being bogus?
Secondly, what evidence is there that humans are protecting the planet?

You only have to watch Grand Designs to see how the construction industry is making huge progress in Eco friendly housing design. Rainwater harvesting, solar panels, timber frames, wind turbines, Geo-thermal heating systems, wood burners burning re-cycled pellets, water wheels, grass growing on the roof ( not the herb). Everything they use is sustainable, they even build houses out of straw bails!
That alone proves that the construction humans are making an effort to protect the planet doesn't it ?
I bet our hero Ste-Mo has all the latest Eco friendly, sustainable, re-newable green high techno spec on his various palatial cribs he's a jammy supa-hero is Ste-Mo.

Benny-the-British-Butcher

OMG Robby has consumed too many dead animals and done too much killing. He defends killers to try to feel better, but then he's sick all over.

so I liked a lot of what you said Brummie and I was in the process of responding to much of it piece by piece :)
when I just :barf: all over my floor, luckily not the bed, still, hope I've cleaned it all up and maybe I can say more about this when not so :sick:

Anyone who claims a cull is 'humane' is in desperate need of being clubbed into the next life. What a stupid and grossly indecent thing for that minister slob to say. Jabba The Hut would make for a smarter (and more interesting) fisheries minister. At least he would admit to being an evil bastard.

Last edited:
Those are all neo-predations yes, "personal choices" he hasn't cared to realise deeply impact other animals.

He's not even vegan either, the very most basic position as regards animal rights. It is very easy to see him as a hypocrite on these matters. He is very outspoken on something he hasn't given a lot of thought to.

Hypocrisy is a way of derailing an idea or argument so that your whiney vegan agenda can be center stage. We're talking about clubbing seals to death right now. Rome wasn't conquered in a f***ing day, don't shoot the soldier who's on your side. Look at the big picture and not what's in one man's tea cup.

You only have to watch Grand Designs to see how the construction industry is making huge progress in Eco friendly housing design. Rainwater harvesting, solar panels, timber frames, wind turbines, Geo-thermal heating systems, wood burners burning re-cycled pellets, water wheels, grass growing on the roof ( not the herb). Everything they use is sustainable, they even build houses out of straw bails!
That alone proves that the construction humans are making an effort to protect the planet doesn't it ?
I bet our hero Ste-Mo has all the latest Eco friendly, sustainable, re-newable green high techno spec on his various palatial cribs he's a jammy supa-hero is Ste-Mo.

Look Benny, honestly I am no where near well informed on this issue but I think I can confidently say that the positives you list are worthy but their overall impact is minimal.
I'm sure we could come up with a list of damaging behaviour that is persisting or getting worse.
I dunno lets start with Fracking.
Is this a good thing? The short term economic value certainly is.
But environmentally we are not sure and it will prolong our dependence on fossil fuels.
De-forestation. This continues apace.
I think I'm beginning to ramble.
There posters out there who can do this better.

Hypocrisy is a way of derailing an idea or argument so that your whiney vegan agenda can be center stage. We're talking about clubbing seals to death right now. Rome wasn't conquered in a f***ing day, don't shoot the soldier who's on your side. Look at the big picture and not what's in one man's tea cup.
Interesting post Crystal if you're saying what I think you are.
Do you mean that we can't all campaign about everything. So what we do is choose certain causes er
that suit us for whatever reason.
Same with Moz, animals happen to be his suit.

For me the question is, is Morrissey a good thing?
Here in the UK the UKIP campaign for the European Elections is kicking in.
Their publicity is vile.
I don't know if I can get over his support for that.

Look Benny, honestly I am no where near well informed on this issue but I think I can confidently say that the positives you list are worthy but their overall impact is minimal.
I'm sure we could come up with a list of damaging behaviour that is persisting or getting worse.
But environmentally we are not sure and it will prolong our dependence on fossil fuels.

To be honest I have only briefly looked at fracking but my own view is it's not a good idea full stop. To drill down and take a ninety degree turn and than fracture the rock with water to release gas ! It's all very quick fix 'who cares about tmrw' yet our prime minister can't wait to start poking our little island and frak us up and down dale.
My neighbour lives in Australia part of the year and he has seen it first hand, he's due back in May and the last time we discussed it one of things he wasn't impressed with was the ponds of polluted water involved, I shall pick his brains some more but I won't change my mind, fracking is not future friendly for my children.

Oh Camera-man your gonna have so much to answer for !

Not you, apparently.

It's called nature, Brummie. It seems to be the very thing you are arguing for. It is what happens when you leave things to develop naturally. One species dominates. Your argument doesn't seem to be a problem with nature taking its course. You seem to dislike the result.

Yeah, my Grandad used to say things were better during the Pleistocene era, too. Personally, I think it all started to go wrong after the Yucatan impact.

There is no certainty that we are, either. What we have is a small group of scientists who have discovered a way to access billions in government subsidy for shouting "the sky is falling." The duplicity of some of these men and women is a matter of record.

Yes, the planet needs to be protected, and luckily the human species can and will do so.

Well, you managed to cover that all briskly, albeit with a rather strained 'grandad' sense of humour. I'm sure you'll sleep better tonight. Thanks for sharing.

so I liked a lot of what you said Brummie and I was in the process of responding to much of it piece by piece :)
when I just :barf: all over my floor, luckily not the bed, still, hope I've cleaned it all up and maybe I can say more about this when not so :sick:

I hope it's not the start of a global pandemic which will be traced to an English language teacher in Chengdu.Otherwise we'll all be suspects and rendered to Gitmo. It's bad enough interacting online, I don't think it would work with us all in orange jumpsuits being interrogated. Hope you get well soon. Stay hydrated, add a pinch of salt. Hopefully, just some dodgy street vended 'sub-species' food you've eaten after too much baijiu.

I thought "This Sorrowful Canada" was one of Morrissey's more restrained statements of late (and it sounds like a B-side). The reply from Gail Shea is actually more inappropriate and vituperative, and it undermined her office's credibility. Morrissey is on the right side of this argument: opposition to the seal hunt is not based on propaganda from "fringe" animal rights groups - one of the largest ongoing slaughters of marine mammals is seen as a barbaric act by most people who aren't profiting from it. Not only that - there is evidence to show that cod populations recover in areas where there is a thriving seal population: the numbers for fishery recovery and seal populations are neither clear-cut nor definitive.

Acidifying oceans (due to climate change) and disruption of the ocean's biomass by human overfishing and pollution are the greatest threats to fish populations. We cannot solve the problem by inhumane "culling." What is needed is reduced human exploitation and greater environmental regulations. It's looking increasingly bleak on both these fronts, so we continue to kill. That the slow starvation of animal populations due to human activity is used as an excuse to "cull" is a tragic state of affairs.

Further, the traditional hunting practices of native peoples all over the world are dwarfed by the scale of modern industrial killing to feed an unsustainable human population. As for China: there is a growing animal rights/environmental movement there, and those activists are to be praised to the skies for their good work. They put themselves on the line and push for positive change in a culture that is not at all friendly or open to the concerns of non-human animals.

Yes, the Forte Hotel de Russie has been retro-fitted, as has Claridges. Not sure what dump he stays at in Geneva, but it's probably full of UN power junkies telling everyone what to do whilst they live the high life. I'm sure he loves the ambience.

Yes, let's have a whiney pop star agenda go unchallenged so your FBE about him can remain undisturbed. Never mind the seals, what about the birds that get minced in the jet engines whizzing him from LA to Rome? "and the flights that you fancifully fly....oh, no birdz iz gettin murdered". Rome wasn't built in a day either. *smirk*.

I am looking at The Big Picture, since the last Ice-Age. And I am also looking at whether it's still cow's milk or soya in Morrissey's £10 cup of tea at the Ritz or whatever dump of Privilege he's staying in.

I hope it's not the start of a global pandemic which will be traced to an English language teacher in Chengdu.Otherwise we'll all be suspects and rendered to Gitmo. It's bad enough interacting online, I don't think it would work with us all in orange jumpsuits being interrogated. Hope you get well soon. Stay hydrated, add a pinch of salt. Hopefully, just some dodgy street vended 'sub-species' food you've eaten after too much baijiu.
yeah, ifs the baiju which did it, no pandemic here
&
nice to see Anaesthesine post, if he agrees with Herr Moz, then M can't be all wrong :o

Fracking, like most human activities, has to be seen in a wider context. If it was being used as part of a Manhattan Project/Moon Shot to transition us from fossil fuels to sustainable technologies, I'd cautiously accept it. But it's actually being used to carry on with the Business As Usual fantasies of industrial capitalist hyper-consumerism so vast amounts of junk can travel to/from China and the West and airline fuel can be subsidized so Madonna and Morrissey types can be 'international playboys/girls' whilst selling fake rebellion chic. In fact, fracking appears to be another global financial ponzi scheme, another desperate 'bubble' to reflate the collapsed world economy.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politic...-bubble-the-scam-behind-the-gas-boom-20120301

nice to see Anaesthesine post, if he agrees with Herr Moz, then M can't be all wrong :o

Aww - thanks Robby, that's very kind.

I still check into Solo from time to time (particularly when there's the promise of an album, tour, etc.). Still, it seems like many here have drunk the crazy juice of late, and I don't feel the need to comment on any of it. As long as everyone's having fun. ;) :rolleyes: :squiffy:

I am a lady you know - always have been. :D

I thought "This Sorrowful Canada" was one of Morrissey's more restrained statements of late (and it sounds like a B-side). The reply from Gail Shea is actually more inappropriate and vituperative, and it undermined her office's credibility. Morrissey is on the right side of this argument: opposition to the seal hunt is not based on propaganda from "fringe" animal rights groups - one of the largest ongoing slaughters of marine mammals is seen as a barbaric act by most people who aren't profiting from it. Not only that - there is evidence to show that cod populations recover in areas where there is a thriving seal population: the numbers for fishery recovery and seal populations are neither clear-cut nor definitive.

Acidifying oceans (due to climate change) and disruption of the ocean's biomass by human overfishing and pollution are the greatest threats to fish populations. We cannot solve the problem by inhumane "culling." What is needed is reduced human exploitation and greater environmental regulations. It's looking increasingly bleak on both these fronts, so we continue to kill. That the slow starvation of animal populations due to human activity is used as an excuse to "cull" is a tragic state of affairs.

Further, the traditional hunting practices of native peoples all over the world are dwarfed by the scale of modern industrial killing to feed an unsustainable human population. As for China: there is a growing animal rights/environmental movement there, and those activists are to be praised to the skies for their good work. They put themselves on the line and push for positive change in a culture that is not at all friendly or open to the concerns of non-human animals.

There *might* still be an uncontacted tribal culture/remnant left in Papuan highlands, the Congo or Amazonia, but there's none in the Canadian tundra. If you say your 'Inuit' yet want snow-skis, internet and antibiotics, it's a bit silly to still try to claim 'tribal rights to cull like your ancestors'.

There's always been an animal rights/environmental movement in China, it's called Buddhism and Taoism and both have been resisting the death cult of 'progress' since before Confucius.

The human population is not 'unsustainable' unless it all demands to live like McAmericans/McEuropeans and increasingly, McAsians on a diet of antibiotic resistant industrial 'meat'. When Bill Gates and Warren Buffett start pumping money into vegan food technologies, you know that something is going to happen and the tipping point is near.

It's a complex tableaux of unsustainable industrial civilisation and it includes eejits like Morrissey flying around in aeroplanes, ignoring the birds that are minced in engines so he can be bored in another luxury hotel room somewhere 'new'.

Without polar bears or other tundra predators, it's not clear how seal numbers would be kept in balance. However, a 'cull' resulting from this environmental catastrophe is being used to hide the entitlement agenda of a faux 'native' population which demands the right to 'worship ancestors' with bloodlust culls then rattle off emails complaining about being called out as barabric. Same shit in Japan, Iceland and the Faroes. It's all the same world-wide culture of Industrial Civilisation in it's death throes. And here in the UK with the badger cull, which Morrissey is remarkably quiety about, given the implications of it being resumed with more ferocity. Still, the UK's his key market from which to sell his 'quirky English rebel' narrative worldwide, so Canada and Gail Shea will do nicely as a target to troll inanely whilst ignoring the implications of his own lifestyle choices.

Aww - thanks Robby, that's very kind.

I still check into Solo from time to time (particularly when there's the promise of an album, tour, etc.). Still, it seems like many here have drunk the crazy juice of late, and I don't feel the need to comment on any of it. As long as everyone's having fun. ;) :rolleyes: :squiffy:

I am a lady you know - always have been. :D

Morrissey's certainly still doing the 'crazee homebrew' of late and providing a useful starting point for fun forum ruminations. It's good you choose not to join in if you've nothing constructive to add. Nothing worse than an unwilling or resentful contributor to interweb culture, hey?

How many unnecessary flights does Morrissey take in any given year to maximise his tax efficiency, hopping from Sweden to Switzerland to Italy to the UK/Ireland to the US? How many birds are shredded in the engines, poisoned by the chem-trails as he cavorts from continent to continent emoting and ululating on behalf of "the animals"? Never mind the nonsense of dragging a band of minstrels with him. How do his air-miles contribute to species/animal habitats being ruined by climate change? And you think anyone with a brain is going to listen to his nonsense?

" One round-trip flight from New York to Europe or to San Francisco creates a warming effect equivalent to 2 or 3 tons of carbon dioxide per person."

Presumably, Morrissey believes climate change is either irrelevant or a gubbermint conspiracy.

"Your Biggest Carbon Sin May Be Air Travel'

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/27/sunday-review/the-biggest-carbon-sin-air-travel.html?_r=0

"There is a rule for how big a bird an engine must be able to take in and spit out while continuing to produce thrust, and another for the maximum size it must be able to take in without breaking up and throwing off dangerous shrapnel. The hearings will look into whether engines can be built to withstand birds as big as the Canada goose"

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/09/nyregion/09usair.html

As Morrissey states: "Killing is killing, no matter HOW you kill something". How many birds have died in planes transporting this 'international playboy' to sign books in Stockholm or some such nonsense? Are birds important, or only seals? Morrissey's extravagant travel lifestyle means he's just as much a part of the death-cult of industrial civilisation as some poverty-stricken Inuit hunting seals on the tundra. Every time he boards a plane for no reason, he's effectively part of a human pack hunting birds. The difference is he has other options immediately available unlike, perhaps, some genuine Inuit on the tundra who are in the interregnum between tribal and global civilisations, with attendant morbid symptoms. Etc.

If he's serious about any of this stuff, he can cut out pointless flights, campaign for habitat protection for all species and get down off his absurd pulpit. Perhaps he's never joined up the dots to connect his own behaviour to the state of the planet and comforts himself that "World Peace Is None Of Your Business" ignoring subliminal cognitive dissonance as he helps disrupt the peace of animals in his flight-path. Including humans. His 'animal rights' schtick is demonstrably absurd. When he becomes a Jain and broadcasts concerts to cinemas to avoid unecessary travel by him/his band/entourage and his delusional 'fans', then I'll take him seriously. Until then? Ha! Ha! Ha!Migrating birds are shredded by high-powered aircraft engines. Is this a death that Morrissey would wish for himself? Would it make him happy to be shredded by a high-powered jet engine? If he considers such butchery to be so "humane", why doesn't he place hmself amongst the tens of thousands of migratory birds that will be slaughtered within the next few years? He could then test the humane aspect of having his head shredded for himself. Only then could he be thought to speak with any authority on the subject. Internationally, Morrissey's sorry image is due entirely to his silly statements - which are *rollseyes* and *LOLs!*, and it is dismaying to witness such ignorance in 2014. Sound reason tells us that only those of the thinnest intellect make pointless flights, and because Morrissey's appears to be concerned with animals only emotionally, travelling by plane and thus killing migrating birds with lightning brutality is now part of this pop star's global image. Until this ongoing massacre is abolished, Morrissey himself is regrettably fashionably dead.

Rock 'stars-international playboys' and their silly 'fans' are part of the problem, not part of the solution. They should stop touring. Nobody 'needs' to see Morrissey or anyone else 'appear' on stage like a performing seal. He can just do one concert and broadcast it to cinemas. After all, his tour film was a massive success at the Cineplex. This isn't a rant just at Morrissey, it's at all of them. But very few of them are so egregiously sanctimonious and holier-than-thou about their 'right' to lecture others about lifestyle choices which facilitate animal murder, whilst ignoring their own contribution to "death for no reason, death for no reason, murder". And so on and so forth!

Man made climate change has not been proven real and remains more a political issue than a scientific one. Flying on airplanes is no comparison to state-sanctioned animal execution.

Man made climate change has not been proven real and remains more a political issue than a scientific one. Flying on airplanes is no comparison to state-sanctioned animal execution.

Can you see how ridiculous your opening sentence is? You state that climate change is not 'real' then state it's a political rather than a scientific issue. Is politics more 'real' than science? Flying on aeroplanes is Angry Birdz murder, bro! I assume you source your worldview from Fox News and are another Kochsucker?

Morrissey's certainly still doing the 'crazee homebrew' of late and providing a useful starting point for fun forum ruminations. It's good you choose not to join in if you've nothing constructive to add. Nothing worse than an unwilling or resentful contributor to interweb culture, hey?

I have a very terrible chest infection which is being treated with Amoxicillin at the present and posts like this are far from helpful, I'm all out of puff ! Please hold back a tad B B I'm dying.

Benny-the-Poorly-British-Butcher

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom