For those who've heard it, how do you now rate Years of Refusal?

How do you rate Years of Refusal?

• Total voters
Just finished the first listen..... liked it a lot, especially ''birthday''..... fizzled out a bit during the last few songs but overall a good show:guitar:
I may even buy it;)

Jukebox Jury

I voted middling even though that suggests by definition that it's 'mediocre'.

I think it's good, just not sure where I would place it at the moment. Certainly not above the top three, though every single track is better than 'The Ordinary Boys'

I get more of a [SIZE=-1] Ennio Morricone feel about this album than I did from ROTT, especially in "When Last I Spoke To Carol".

I can almost picture The Man with No Name emerging from a dusty mirage with poncho blowing behind him as the song ends.

[/SIZE]
man_with_no_name.jpg

there's only southpaw grammer & kill uncle out of all morrissey's albums where there's not a song i don't like. they're not all great tracks, but i like them all. viva hate has several terrible tracks. there's a couple on arsenal & vauxhall. one on maladjusted. a couple on the quarry. a few on ringleader and a couple on this effort. :guitar:

After playing the album a few times, I still don't know what to make of it, I so wish he would have left his last two singles off this album, its retarded to include them but oh well.

I will buy the standard and Limited Edition if there is one, but so far I'm not impressed with the songs, not one bit! :tears::mad:

i don't think i care for it all that much. at first i liked it a lot but i think it's because my expectations were so low. i just think that he has nothing left to say...the themes are all WAY too familiar and cliche for morrissey and i would be willing to overlook that but the lyrics aren't even well written. i think that spoils a lot of the songs for me. the only song i love and will probably listen to over and over is something is squeezing my skull. the record also sounds like he's just kind of pandering to a younger and hip audience. i think i preferred ROTT.

my people tell me that "I'm OK By Myself" is the best one of the bunch.

havent heard it all (im mad) but did find "black cloud" on you tube, its very rocky sounds like "something is squeezing...." i love it already

havent heard it all (im mad) but did find "black cloud" on you tube, its very rocky sounds like "something is squeezing...." i love it already

yes.., boz did a great job..i like the opening..it gets me everytime!!

It's strange listening to it after reading so much.

"When I last spoke to Carol" is playing right now. It seems a funny arrangement ... especially if, as suggested, it is all about Kristeen Young.

On the whole I like it, even the inclusion of the older songs. I feel it's a grower and that I am going to really like it after a few more listens.

I get more of a [SIZE=-1] Ennio Morricone feel about this album than I did from ROTT, especially in "When Last I Spoke To Carol".

I can almost picture The Man with No Name emerging from a dusty mirage with poncho blowing behind him as the song ends.

[/SIZE]
man_with_no_name.jpg

This is EXACTLY what I told my brother today. :guitar:

I was soooo in love with The Man with No Name when I was a kid...(OK I still am)....Those Clint Eastwood posters hung on my walls next to my Smiths posters! I told my brother "When Last I Spoke to Carol" was somewhat peculiar to me for that very reason.

The only thing that really stands out on the album are the drums. This album sounds like it was WRITTEN for Matt Walker. Everything else pales, but the drumming is great. Never thought I'd say that either, but that's what hits me.

The singing, arrangements, melodies and lyrics are all adequately pleasant. The production AND arrangements are technically far better sounding than the last two albums.

I doubt YOR will 'grow on me,' but I do think it will be a fun burst of energy to enjoy down the line.

- J

"When I last spoke to Carol" is playing right now. It seems a funny arrangement ... especially if, as suggested, it is all about Kristeen Young.

I thought it might be as well, but thinking about it for an extra two seconds, consider that immediately following the conclusion of this spanish ode to mythical Carol as Kristeen, the first words we hear are from Kristeens own ghostlike voice saying "Noooooooooooooooooooo." Besides, if they're friends would he really diss her so completely on his new album with monster bat sounds behind the lines recalling her name? Also, aren't prostitutes in general people who want to be saved who rarely are unless they're Julia Roberts and it's a movie? I think it's an ode to a beautiful Spanish hooker that haunts him...occasionally. Somehow. :rolleyes: This is just a gossipy review, the song is doing other things too.

Back
Top Bottom