For those who've heard it, how do you now rate Years of Refusal?

How do you rate Years of Refusal?

• Total voters
I think Morrissey makes the lyrics fit the vocal melody these days rather than the other way round. It would be very hard to deny that the vocal melodies on this album are far stronger than those in his Smiths days.

suave harv, i agree very much....
love it more with every listen, and I would also see more similarities to your arsenal, than to southpaw... (although the sound is more the latter... but the vibe is very arsenal... and I think thats good!)
it feels different to the last two, which is a good thing in my opinion... I liked a few of the tracks very much back then, but the production and overall-feel was a bit numb. the other way round here... not an outstanding track, but an album that gives me a lot somehow...
hopefully I will think the same in a few days...but its promising nevertheless!

as for john lydon: I couldnt agree more, he WAS my hero.... once

as for being too "hip" with some songs..
certainly not the whole album, I could agree with the likes of
"It's Not Your Birthday Anymore" - but since I heard it loudly in my car a few minutes before, and it made me smile... what can be wrong with that
(even I would take this one, thinking of "hipster" sound - it reminded me a little to... dare I say "Angels and Airwaves"... but just he surroundings, not the voice, and I think, it worked.. at least he tried something new)

"It would be very hard to deny that the vocal melodies on this album are far stronger than those in his Smiths days."

Wow.

We are only 5 days into 2009 and I think we already have a strong contender for Craziest Statement Of The Year.

Do you honestly think that? Don't get me wrong, everyone is entitled to their opinion but if you think that the vocal melodies on any of these tracks are "far stronger" than those of There Is A Light, Ask, Half A Person, Headmaster Ritual, Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others, Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now, This Charming Man or Stop Me (I really could go on) then I must say that seems utter insanity to me.

But hell, as I said, each to their own.

"It would be very hard to deny that the vocal melodies on this album are far stronger than those in his Smiths days."

Wow.

We are only 5 days into 2009 and I think we already have a strong contender for Craziest Statement Of The Year.

Do you honestly think that? Don't get me wrong, everyone is entitled to their opinion but if you think that the vocal melodies on any of these tracks are "far stronger" than those of There Is A Light, Ask, Half A Person, Headmaster Ritual, Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others, Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now, This Charming Man or Stop Me (I really could go on) then I must say that seems utter insanity to me.

But hell, as I said, each to their own.

Yes, I do.

I'm definitely enjoying it. I rarely compare albums from different artists and genres but this, in my opinion, beats most of the albums from last year.

Wow.
Just wow.
You don't want perhaps a bit of time to live with the record, get used to it and learn it inside out before declaring it melodically stronger than any of The Smiths work? Just seems a lofty statement to make less than 24hrs after a record has leaked.

Wow.
Just wow.
You don't want perhaps a bit of time to live with the record, get used to it and learn it inside out before declaring it melodically stronger than any of The Smiths work? Just seems a lofty statement to make less than 24hrs after a record has leaked.

I didn't say it was melodically stronger. I said the vocal melodies were stronger. And this is not a snap judgement. I've felt Morrissey's vocal melodies have got stronger as time as gone on. I also don't think this is the outrageous claim that you seem to think, as most critics point to Morrissey's vocal melodies being a weak point in The Smiths.

Can't wait to see him perform "I'm OK By Myself". I can just imagine Moz working himself into a frenzy and ending up on the floor for that one.

Rant incoming:

Hi!

I was excited to hear a new Morrissey album, but I was very very very disappointed.

I am great Smiths- and Morrissey fan. I'd go as far as saying Smiths is the best band i've ever heard. Morrissey has put out some very good solo material too.

"Years of Refusal" is quite a dull album though. Someone commented on news section that the album has little melody or proper songwriting and I agree 100%. I hate the fact that in almost all track guitar plays no melody at all and if it does, its drowned in ugly, ugly distortion.

The use of distorted guitars was very well executed on "Vauxhall and I", but on "Years of Refusal" its far too dominant. I don't know who plays guitar in which track (Whyte plays none?) but the guitar work is very repetive and dull. Almost all tracks have a similiar design, with quiet passages and heavy, distored parts. They usually ruins the little atmosphere there is.

Listening to "Ringleader of the Tormentors" I almost got fed up with the distortion, but Years of Refusal is too much. It has almost none sublety Morrisseys lyrics require.

For example, "Life is a Pigsty" is a great song which uses distortion, but in a subtle manner. Also, the song has a sensible rhytm and melody and clearly two parts which makes it nice to follow. Many songs on "Years of Refusal" just go and suddenly stop.

There is one great song on the album though... "I'm Throwing my Arms Around Paris" is a truly wonderful track, with all the beauty and understated instrumentation. The guitar line is the only memorable and melodic one on the whole album.

Sadly the previous singles, "All You Need is Me" and "That's How People Grow Up" are dull, boring and too simple.

I don't know how it came to this, "Ringleader..." had some great great tracks, You Are the Quarry is very good too. Maybe the composers lost all interest? It certainly sounds like it. The instrument work also might cause the boring singing of Morrissey which only shines in some brief passages. Morrissey, for me, is the greatest singer ever, but singing in "Years of Refusal" is subpar. For instance, I think "Life is a Pigsty" was his peak in terms of singing.

I have not heard Southpaw Grammar or Maladjusted, but all others I have. For me "Years of Refusal" is Morrisseys weakest effort and as "Throwing My Arms..." is released as a single the album has no reason to exist for me. I hope Morrissey changes composers in the future, or that the composers actually listen to what kind of uninspired music they have produced.

I think Morrissey makes the lyrics fit the vocal melody these days rather than the other way round. It would be very hard to deny that the vocal melodies on this album are far stronger than those in his Smiths days.

I actually think Morrisseys vocal melodies on "Years of Refusal" are hist worst and he has very rarely matched the ones of Smiths-days on his solo years.

I actually think Morrisseys vocal melodies on "Years of Refusal" are hist worst and he has very rarely matched the ones of Smiths-days on his solo years.

I am assuming you said the above to get a rise out of people because if not, you need to seek some professional help;)

Morrissey's vocals on this new fantastic album are superb, he's hitting the high notes beautifully and holding other notes long and lusciously. Bloody fantastic and I am praying they all sound the same when heard live later this year:):)

I am assuming you said the above to get a rise out of people because if not, you need to seek some professional help;)

Morrissey's vocals on this new fantastic album are superb, he's hitting the high notes beautifully and holding other notes long and lusciously. Bloody fantastic and I am praying they all sound the same when heard live later this year:):)

I wasn't commenting on the technical side... I know his voice is on his height, but the *melodies*, for me, sound predictable, boring and too depressing. I just listened to Ringleader to compare and his melodies in songs like Life is a Pigsty and Dear God Please Help Me appeal to me more.

On wholly melodic side, in my opinion, his peak was The Queen Is Dead (album, the song too :) ). This is just my opinion, I don't put much weight on technicality since the melody is what matters.

Day number 2 of listening to it.

So far, so strong.

Current Favorite; When I last Spoke To Carol

(top 3 solo albums)

Deano's Review of 'Years of Refusal'

Something Is Squeezing Me Skull - Expected more power, like getting the hairdryer treatment from Jane Goody, from the album version. But will always be a live track for me. The 'me more' bit at the end sounds like Moz has a speech impediment :eek: Vocals generally on the record are good. 7/10

Marmalade Lay Softly On The Riverbed - Again, there just isn't that dominant sound at the beginning of the record that would have raised the album to the next level as it progresses through. The drum levels could have done with being whacked up for this song for me. Morrissey's vocals again are generally good, tries some different pitches away from the expected. I especially like it where he goes low at 2:44. Don't like the electronic-whiney bit at the end. 7/10

Black Cloud - Nice start to this record, much more like it. When Morrissey's vocals kick in, it sounds very raw and continues upto the songs namesake with a nice polished guitar 5 seconds before this utterance. Stops dead in its tracks around 1:40 to give us all a breather when we are singing this one on the tour. Euphoric towards end with the elevated repetition of Black Cloud 25/30 seconds from the end. 8.5/10

I'm Throwing My Arms Around Harris - Will be the second single. Flowery record that will attract a large section of music fans to the album whether they're 8 or 80. Kind of plods along for me with a nice backing melody and a passable chorus. 6/10

All You Need Is Puree - Continues the albums wider appeal for me. Wouldn't look out of place on YATQ. Fast paced, great tone, Morrissey sings well on this track. This will be a grower, especially for die hards i believe who may dismiss it for being one of the more commercial-esque tracks, and for it being heard late last year. Good ending with the 'You're gonna miss me when i'm gone' which i hope you Star and Garter members will when Andy finally decides to bar me / give me a testimonial month and puts my name on a golden plaque on the wonky pool table. 7.5 / 10

When I Spoke To Cazza - Morrissey flirtation with something experimental on the record and mixes the album up a bit after two populist tracks. It's a filler for me but it's good Moz is still trying new things, implementing a sound that the Hispanics will definitely love. Bring on the castanets for this one, but i won't be wearing the coloured dress. 6 /10

That's How Peeps Grow Up - The vocalist mistaken for a pron star gets her rampant rabbit out to achieve the sound at the beginning of this record. When released on the Greatest Hits (volume 17) i dismissed the record as Morrissey's poorest single to date. Again the track adds to the broader attraction to the album for many bog standard music fans. I think it's average, but for some reason can't stop listening to it?!? It doesn't seem to have any personality, or tie into anything Moz seems to have done before, and isn't experimental really in any way. A confusing record, but a popular listen at the moment for me and may change my opinion of it being his poorest single. 6.5 / 10.

One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell - Great start to the record. Quickening riff (is it?) and drums drums drummmmmms!!! When Morrisseys voice kicks in, you are drawn into a mysterious cave in which you find Blackbeards treasure chest inside by the time he sings the songs namesake. Whilst digging through its treasures, you find a glorious crown around the 2:00 mark and the Moz returns to give you a lovely pearl necklace at the end around the 2:30 mark. Nice fadeout, timing is perfect and would love to have Black Cloud played again straight after. Sorry for all the pron metaphors, but i would say this is my ejaculative point of the record. 9.5 / 10

It's Not Your Smurfday Anymore - Great sound on this record, loftier and loftier but i'm personally not impressed with how Moz sings on parts of this record. The verses are sang adoringly, but these parts are spoiled for me with his ooooooooness around the 2:00 mark, and some extension of singing the end of the title would have given it more of a ballad feel. Morrissey sounds very youthful on this record, like he has rolled back his vocals to the Kill Uncle days. I think this song could have been great, but just didn't get there for me. 7 / 10 (changed as my mate Gaz thinks i'm a clown for giving it a 6, listened to the track 3 times).

You Were Good In Your Time - Can't see it being on the live set list but who knows with Moz, as it's in the same mould as 'I'm Not Sorry' and that was played on the YATQ tour. Just seems to plod along for me, it doesn't have such appeal as other slow tracks like 'Pigsty' or 'Dear God Please Help Me'. Worst track on the album. 5 / 10.

Sortie Doesn't Help - You can feel the album drawing to an end with this track. Racey patches with a pace which 'That's How People Grow Up' follows for the lyrics. Best part of the track is around 2:30 for me when Tobias gets a play about with his guitar and adds a distinct sound to identify the track. Moz attempts to lift the record but the foundations sound and feel bland. 6 / 10.

I'm OK With Meself - A hopeful start to the record to close the album off in style. The lyrical pace is all over, which is a positive thing for me however strange that sounds. Will have the die hards bouncing around for bits and bats, then holding their arms aloft around 2:00 taking in a great track. I think Morrissey might have his tambourine out for this doobie. Morrissey and the band give their all within this record and they will be absolutely shagged at the end of playing it as it's full of energy. Not a bagful of coffee creams this track. Around 3:40, Morrissey and the band go on a mission, and to think the guy is 50 and the energy put into this track throughout is remarkable. Leaves me with the impression he still has a lot to offer. I'm so tempted to give it a 10 for it being a track completely on it's own, but One Day just pips it for me as being the most complete track on the album. 9 / 10

Last edited:
It's growing on me, similar to Ringleaders which I still say is underated.

However when I heard the opening to When Last I Spoke To Carol I thought it was Flight of the Conchords.

Overall, good work sunshine!!

this new album is superb, Birthday is up there with the best songs he has released.
:D

Back
Top Bottom