First look at 'Shoplifters of the World' film - Variety

46127_shoplifters_first_look.jpg

Oops

First Look at The Smiths-Infused Comedy-Drama ‘Shoplifters of the World’ (EXCLUSIVE) - Variety

London-based sales agent WestEnd Films has released the first-look image for The Smiths-infused comedy-drama “Shoplifters of the World,” which Variety is publishing exclusively. WestEnd is screening footage to buyers at Berlin’s European Film Market.

Based on an urban legend, the film is set over the course of one night in the lives of four friends in Denver, who are reeling from the news of the split up of iconic British band The Smiths. The local radio station is hijacked by an impassioned Smiths fan with a gun, who makes the DJ play nothing but Smiths tracks for the entire night.

The still shows Ellar Coltrane (“Boyhood”), who plays the hijacker. Joe Manganiello (“Magic Mike,” “True Blood”) plays the DJ. The cast also includes Helena Howard, Elena Kampouris, Nick Krause, and James Bloor. The film, written and directed by Stephen Kijak (“Scott Walker – 30 Century Man”), will feature 20 tracks by The Smiths.

The movie is produced by Untitled Entertainment’s Laura Rister, 3:59’s Joe and Nick Manganiello, Piccadilly Pictures’ Christopher Figg. Also producing are Phil Hoelting, Adam Schoon and Lorianne Hall. Robert Whitehouse and Dawn Bierschwal, from Piccadilly Pictures, are exec producing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't bothered to watch England Is Mine. Will do whenever I stumble upon it on free TV some winters night.

The final 10 minutes (when he opens the door to Johnny and lets him in) is the only thing worth watching.

Instagram is playing up as I can't directly link to Kijak's page. So here are the pictures anyway:
(and a couple of other sources).

43bf5b35a19eacc6b4e57bf6bbd8735e.jpg
234781a1dda5cd148b0d2097a766d5c0.jpg
df7f98e5872f077643bd12cc9630588b.jpg
ac68f9b9686188d953b00441c9cfd6ed.jpg
FB_IMG_1549909826729.jpg
FB_IMG_1549909790326.jpg
FB_IMG_1549909808457.jpg

And one of Mr. Marr - so I'm guessing both are ok with the film:
FB_IMG_1549909796608.jpg

(Timboots not pictured)

Regards,
FWD.

Real shame that this guy couldn't have checked his senses some and found a calmness to himself.
He could have realized that Moz would go on to make better records than The Smiths and that the breakup was a good thing.
It was not the end, but indeed a new beginnin'!

its quite an unknown cast apart from ellar Coltrane who was in boyhood and maybe joe manganielo who played big dick Ritchie in magic mike,they have definitely got the set decoration down to a tee.looking forward to it.

There’s some interesting things in that picture alone. I can see a poster for The Jams sound affects album, Melody Maker with Michael Stipe on the cover and news that The Smiths have split, a poster for New Orders Movement album above his head behind the photos, looks like they have replicated the era well at least.
Apart from the incorrect cover star on the Ask poster. Poor art Dept research (again..)
Pilgrimupnorth

Ah the power of music to move individuals. There was someone in the 60’s that was moved by the song Helter Skelter, can’t remember the fans name at the moment.

;)

Instagram is playing up as I can't directly link to Kijak's page. So here are the pictures anyway:
(and a couple of other sources).

View attachment 47639

And one of Mr. Marr - so I'm guessing both are ok with the film:
View attachment 47640
(Timboots not pictured)

Regards,
FWD.

Oh, that photo of Marr is lovely. Never heard of Stephen Kijak but this is looking interesting. Nothing like a Smiths love-in to soothe old wounds...

Real shame that this guy couldn't have checked his senses some and found a calmness to himself.
He could have realized that Moz would go on to make better records than The Smiths and that the breakup was a good thing.
It was not the end, but indeed a new beginnin'!
That may be your opinion, doesn't mean its a fact.

This taking histoage story that has been related since the late 1980s and early 1990s but we need to see a police report from 1987 or a scan of an article published in the local paper of that town in 1987 to proove that such a thing really happened.
I can actually remember this really happening back in the day. Not sure where it was reported though, might have been NME, or the bizarre column in the daily mirror or the scum

Oh, that photo of Marr is lovely. Never heard of Stephen Kijak but this is looking interesting. Nothing like a Smiths love-in to soothe old wounds...

Johnny was interviewed in Stephen Kijak's documentary about Scott Walker from 2006, so they've known each other a while.

Johnny still looks great!

I haven't bothered to watch England Is Mine. Will do whenever I stumble upon it on free TV some winters night.
It's on Hulu if you'd like to check it out. It's not a bag movie, but the lack of stuff related to the Smiths definitely hurts the movie.

It's on Hulu if you'd like to check it out. It's not a bag movie, but the lack of stuff related to the Smiths definitely hurts the movie.
It’s not a laugh a minute film, it shows a fellow human suffering greatly from his ills, never the less some good acting and the character of Linder is superb. It is odd though that when you watch this film that there isn’t a snip of smiths along the way. I think that agadoo should be shoved in there somewhere just to lighten the mood a little

Johnny was interviewed in Stephen Kijak's documentary about Scott Walker from 2006, so they've known each other a while.

Johnny still looks great!

Morrissey knows Kijak as well according to this interview with Mangnaniello. Whatever "previous relationship" means, I don't know.

Morrissey himself has given Shoplifters of the World his blessing, even aggreing to license The Smiths’ music for use in the film. “Writer/director Stephen Kijak had a previous relationship with Morrissey,” Mangnaniello told Collider in 2014, “and Morrissey agreed to give us the catalogue for a nice, affordable fee. Well, it’s not cheap, by any stretch of the imagination, but we have Morrissey’s blessing to move forward with a The Smiths project.”

This film is not about The Smiths. The band is an excuse to create the story. So, I'm not very surprised Morrissey (and probably Marr too) is backing it. England is Mine was trying to be a biography, and this type of films are usually not faithful to the real person and very disappointing, unless for me. I can't wait to see Shoplifters of the World.

Tags
shoplifters movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom