Fiona Dodwell: "The poet without a home: Morrissey has been let down by the music industry" (May 31, 2021)

The poet without a home: Morrissey has been let down by the music industry

It seems inconceivable to his fans that Morrissey still has yet to find a label to work with on his upcoming record, Bonfire of Teenagers.

Now linked to by Central (June 1, 2021)

Regards,
FWD.

Thanks for your input, Fiona.

This is MY input and not Fiona's, but like her, I am a passionate Morrissey fan.

Therefore, I understand her feelings as well as the way she sees things and writes about them.

I wish I had a plaform so that I could write a bunch of nice a flattering things about Moz, because that's what his artistry, talent and acomplishments in music deserve.

Go bother somebody else.

This is MY input and not Fiona's, but like her, I am a passionate Morrissey fan.

Therefore, I understand her feelings as well as the way she sees things and writes about them.

I wish I had a plaform so that I could write a bunch of nice a flattering things about Moz, because that's what his artistry, talent and acomplishments in music deserve.

Go bother somebody else.
Fiona, you don’t have a platform. You have a blog.

I was chatting to a couple of hacks & apparently there's a genuine worry that A Certain Magazine will look like Total Lying Bastards in future Morrissey biographies & that they've been strenuously pushing A Narrative in the gleeful expectation they're off the hook.

Most hacks don't get remembered unless they said something so DRAMATIC that it ends up a part of a famous person's bio - so God knows what they're flapping about for... they'll just look worse.
Remind us again your definition of "hack" and how it's not an insult.

Remind us again your definition of "hack" and how it's not an insult.
:rolleyes:

FFS FC!
in sophisticated countries with
subtle vocabularies a 'hack'
is a journalistdoh:
now you and BGV and radish can learn a new meaning
to a word and improve your lackluster ethos:hammer:

:rolleyes:

FFS FC!
in sophisticated countries with
subtle vocabularies a 'hack'
is a journalistdoh:
now you and BGV and radish can learn a new meaning
to a word and improve your lackluster ethos:hammer:

UK journalists call themselves hacks - one of my 1st jobs was as a sub.

For example -

20210602_230723.jpg

His last gig was Wembley Arena.
I'm not sure what difference that makes. The fact that he can pull together enough people to fill up a decent sized London venue for one night doesn't necessarily mean that there is an audience out there who are going to spend cash money on a new album. Apart from the first few rows, a good chunk of that audience are going to be casual folk who like a few Smiths songs and Everyday is Like Sunday, and just go for a drunken singalong.

The UK market is going to be a tough nut for any record label to crack, unless Moz has some phenomenal tracks up his sleeve. That said, I still think there might be some hope in other markets such as the US - though the recent Simpsons incident has shown that even here his reputation is beginning to get tarnished.

:straightface:
yes of course, all educated posters would know this:hammer:
unfortunately we are dealing here with a ghetto/punk rock/
hot fish cart mentality -floor level inflect:hammer:

You might like Stick It Up Your Punter - best book about British journalism that isn't by Keith Waterhouse.

1622676658234.jpg

It's entirely conceivable that any record label isn't rushing to sign someone who's going to tell them to go to hell at the first perceived sleight.

I'm not sure what difference that makes. The fact that he can pull together enough people to fill up a decent sized London venue for one night doesn't necessarily mean that there is an audience out there who are going to spend cash money on a new album. Apart from the first few rows, a good chunk of that audience are going to be casual folk who like a few Smiths songs and Everyday is Like Sunday, and just go for a drunken singalong.

The UK market is going to be a tough nut for any record label to crack, unless Moz has some phenomenal tracks up his sleeve. That said, I still think there might be some hope in other markets such as the US - though the recent Simpsons incident has shown that even here his reputation is beginning to get tarnished.

A decent sized London venue? You're having a laugh aren't you? Why does he need to be massively successful anymore anyway? Who cares as long as the music is good. Sod the charts, sod big venues, sod the mainstream.

I don't and never have thought he was racist, however I do think he's out of touch and misinformed. The moment he mentioned the Anne Marie Waters stuff at the Maida Vale was absolutely stupid, a number of people on here were listening live and we were all commenting in disbelief. Did he think he was capturing the mood of his fans or was he told it would be a good idea to say it, who knows, whatever it was, that's when the noise started, add to that the support for Tommy Robinson a year later and well, we are are where we are now.
That would mean he is just blah blahing stuff to provoke, I guess. I don't want to believe that he is stupid and superficial.

:lbf::lbf:

nobody watches regular TV FFS much less the Simpsons the ratings were in the very low hundreds.:hammer:

The poet without a home: Morrissey has been let down by the music industry

It seems inconceivable to his fans that Morrissey still has yet to find a label to work with on his upcoming record, Bonfire of Teenagers.

Now linked to by Central (June 1, 2021)

Regards,
FWD.

Oh god, another, bullet point dictation piece from Fiona Dotty. LIke The Nephew, this person shines nothing but embarrassment at M.

Let them go, God, please, let them go

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom