Fiona Dodwell: "How Morrissey outran The Smiths (and why his critics will never admit it)" (February 18, 2021)

1_rVMgi2j7_fn70rcypLXkLg.jpeg

How Morrissey outran The Smiths (and why his critics will never admit it)

Excerpt:

"There’s an emergence of voices rising from the rotting grave of political correctness lately, in a feeble attempt to somehow make Morrissey’s art into nothing more than a shadow of The Smiths. In reality though, to many, he was the beating heart of the much-loved 80s quartet and unlike his bandmates, he became so much more.
There are many voices online using the tired old trope, “I won’t listen to Morrissey because I don’t agree with his views, but I’ll always have The Smiths.” If this sentiment were limited only to the dull echo chambers of anonymous social media users, it might not be so bad. Yet it does not stop there."

Regards,
FWD.

Now linked to by Central:

I like Morrissey's solo records better than The Smiths, for the most part, or at least I listen to them more, some of them anyway. He has also made a few that were a lot worse.
But anyway articles about how "political correctness" are destroying everything are really sounding dated. Did she mention that it's all the fault of "woke" "snowflakes" and "sjw's" or is she saving that for next week's post?

No, as others said it's clearly to get his attention and sadly, it's working. He doesn't seem to have very high standards when judging anyone pushing the martyr narrative.

The.Truth is: nobody knows her motives.

I'd bet it's love and devotion.

Just the same Dodwell Drivel rearranged and reheated. I notice this time that she doesn't even bother to try and set out an argument. It's just more teenage hagiography. Unless she can come up with something fresh it might be time for her to give it a rest for a while because even I'm becoming embarrassed for her.

Just the same Dodwell Drivel rearranged and reheated. I notice this time that she doesn't even bother to try and set out an argument. It's just more teenage hagiography. Unless she can come up with something fresh it might be time for her to give it a rest for a while because even I'm becoming embarrassed for her.
But look how long Julia hung in there before becoming an unperson. It's not like FD really has other enticing options.

Morrissey has delivered some great stuff over the years but if he hadn't been in The Smiths, would he have have had the success he has? Ive seen Morrissey over 30 times but have never been as excited as I was when waiting outside to see The Smiths at the Festival Of The 10th Summer gig at GMex in 1986.

I appreciate there would be a lot of curiosity but if Morrissey announced a gig at Old Trafford Football ground, he may get 20k punters there, if The Smiths reformed it would be a full house of 75K and probably for 2 nights.

On the point of ‘why his critics will never admit it’. There is surely more to say than it’s ‘to do with their own mindset and cognitive limitations’ and that Morrissey ‘frightens them’.

Surely?

I like Morrissey's solo records better than The Smiths, for the most part, or at least I listen to them more, some of them anyway. He has also made a few that were a lot worse.
But anyway articles about how "political correctness" are destroying everything are really sounding dated. Did she mention that it's all the fault of "woke" "snowflakes" and "sjw's" or is she saving that for next week's post?
:rolleyes:
FC you are an older Wokester yourself FFS:blushing:

Fiona’s greatest offense this time seems to be her use of the words “article” and “published.” Medium is a platform for personal blogging, nothing more.

But look how long Julia hung in there before becoming an unperson. It's not like FD really has other enticing options.
I suppose we'll know it's over when the time arrives when one of her pieces isn't posted on Morrissey Central.

I can't believe someone gets paid for this trite, sixth-form level, 'stating the obvious' Cliffs Notes guide to Moz.

Morrissey did better than Andy Rourke after the Smiths? No shit. The article title is clickbait because she makes no real effort to examine his career at all - just vague references to "endless artistic successes", which is disingenuous to say the least.

It's a shame because Morrissey did escape the Smiths legacy and he did it extremely well. By Ringleader, the race to prove 'life after the Smiths' was won by a thousand miles. Then, SO far ahead, he inexplicably hacked off his legs, and Johnny Marr pulled his running shoes out of the cupboard.

:lbf:
note how the :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: troll conveniently leaves off the purveyor of
sucky :guitar: , the Le:frogface:meister himself(n)

actually the other two Lawnmowers are up on Le:frogface: since making no suco music is better than making a ton of tripe :frogface: gibberish.(n)

No, as others said it's clearly to get his attention and sadly, it's working. He doesn't seem to have very high standards when judging anyone pushing the martyr narrative.

Yeah,some here think she’s getting paid as her motive. Thank you for correcting them.

Though, to have small goals and achieve them, very nice don’t ya think?

She's very sweet - but I don't think he needs this right now.
Fiona Dodwell is great! However, I don't think Lucy Brown and Laura Towler are genuine Morrissey fans I believe that they are getting on the bandwagon in the hope that Morrissey fans might start supporting them in some way. They have some disturbing views to day the least.

I long to go back to the 1980s life was so much better back then. I think life started going wrong in 1995. Things had started going wrong in 1993.

The music was great in the 1980s. Now so many of the 1980s pop stars have died young. It feels like Morrissey is one of the last few left. I hope that Morrissey is blessed with a long life.

I think folks here are just a bit jealous that her aims are a little higher than just posting her opinions here on solo everyday.

:p

‘It only hurts because it’s true.’

:)

FFS Fiona, as an excellent journalist, is simply stating the obvious, that L:frogface:
and the 🚜's were total sucos that held Moz with their very very limited skilks.
Once he gave them the ⛹️‍♂️ the music improved a billion fold.🙋‍♂️
I agree with you that Fiona Dodwell is an excellent journalist she is one of the best out there today!

Johnny Marr had his part to play in The Smiths, but he hasn't done much of note since they split up. He seems to be part of the music establishment these days. He will not rock the boat he has a comfortable lifestyle. He isn't a close friend of Morrissey anymore. I wonder if they ever speak to each other privately these days?

The others are what you call the "lawnmowers". They were basically session musicians and could of been anyone.

I meant that Lucy Brown and Laura Towler have some questionable and disturbing political views to say the least. I can't believe that they are genuine Morrissey fans.

I have a lot of nostalgia for the 1980s. I long to go back to those better simpler times. Morrissey as a solo artist is immense.

Morrissey has delivered some great stuff over the years but if he hadn't been in The Smiths, would he have have had the success he has? Ive seen Morrissey over 30 times but have never been as excited as I was when waiting outside to see The Smiths at the Festival Of The 10th Summer gig at GMex in 1986.

I appreciate there would be a lot of curiosity but if Morrissey announced a gig at Old Trafford Football ground, he may get 20k punters there, if The Smiths reformed it would be a full house of 75K and probably for 2 nights.
When you're assessing the size ofthe morrisey fanbase you have to consider whether this is pre or post coming out as a far-right political campaigner because the fanbase has just haemorrhaged since 2018. Pre, he may have got 30,000, now he'd struggle to sell 10,000. As for the Smiths, you're confusing them with mega-indie band status. Most big indie bands have albums that have gone 5 times platinum. A couple of smiths albums just about managed single platinum. Even without his far-right campaigning and borderline racism, most people simply didn't like the sound of Morrissey's voice - they were never going to be a massive band. Just eternal nme/John peel favourites.

Fiona Dodwell is great! However, I don't think Lucy Brown and Laura Towler are genuine Morrissey fans I believe that they are getting on the bandwagon in the hope that Morrissey fans might start supporting them in some way. They have some disturbing views to day the least.

I long to go back to the 1980s life was so much better back then. I think life started going wrong in 1995. Things had started going wrong in 1993.

The music was great in the 1980s. Now so many of the 1980s pop stars have died young. It feels like Morrissey is one of the last few left. I hope that Morrissey is blessed with a long life.

God, yes, I'd never thought about it like that - how many of his 80s pop peers Morrissey, of all people ("I know what's expected of me now - veering cliffwards") has outlived.

I think folks here are just a bit jealous that her aims are a little higher than just posting her opinions here on solo everyday.

:p

‘It only hurts because it’s true.’
I don’t think there’s a single person on earth jealous of Fiona Dodwell.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom