Fifteen minutes with...Spencer Cobrin - Julie Hamill

Personally I like Julie's interviews and this one in particular. Spencer came across as a really nice bloke.

I like the fact that there is someone like Julie who is prepared to spend time arranging interviews for our pleasure, I think it is interesting to hear from past band members.

I agree. I think Spencer comes across as a genuinely lovely person.

And kudos to Julie for giving it a go (although to be honest, I do find it kinda creepy). My issue remains the questions. They are inane.

Like 2-J said, the 'jew boy' fax, those infamous photos never to see the light of day would have made for fascinating reading. If she didn't want to delve into the murky side of "News of The World" style questions, what about were his thoughts upon entering the band and trying to become a cohesive force?

How had things changed by the end of his time with the band? He is one of many drummers to have graced the stage with Morrissey (and he held the longest tenure? maybe...don't know) what does he think about the changing face of that band? Is it a good thing? Bad thing? Can change revitalise a sound or does it wash away its inner core?

1992 Morrissey sold out the Hollywood Bowl in 23 minutes. Did that set up large expectations? Did it come as a surprise? Can he describe what his thoughts and feelings were at the time?

On his FB page he alludes to going back to the band if asked. Is that true? Would he go back if asked? etc etc.

Instead we get "Did Morrissey ever come to your house? What snacks did you put out for him?"

I admit, I know little about Spencer but I'm sure a bit of research could result in some interesting questions and even more interesting answers.

And kudos to Julie for giving it a go (although to be honest, I do find it kinda creepy). My issue remains the questions. They are inane.

Like 2-J said, the 'jew boy' fax, those infamous photos never to see the light of day would have made for fascinating reading. If she didn't want to delve into the murky side of "News of The World" style questions, what about were his thoughts upon entering the band and trying to become a cohesive force?

How had things changed by the end of his time with the band? He is one of many drummers to have graced the stage with Morrissey (and he held the longest tenure? maybe...don't know) what does he think about the changing face of that band? Is it a good thing? Bad thing? Can change revitalise a sound or does it wash away its inner core?

1992 Morrissey sold out the Hollywood Bowl in 23 minutes. Did that set up large expectations? Did it come as a surprise? Can he describe what his thoughts and feelings were at the time?

On his FB page he alludes to going back to the band if asked. Is that true? Would he go back if asked? etc etc.

Instead we get "Did Morrissey ever come to your house? What snacks did you put out for him?"

I admit, I know little about Spencer but I'm sure a bit of research could result in some interesting questions and even more interesting answers.

Well, if you think that your questions are more interesting than the ones Julie asked (I don't believe everybody would agree), then please just have a go for yourself. In my opinion, the last thing we need in the context of the 15 minutes series is people on here telling her what she should have done. While I admit you have a right to criticise whatever is made public I'm not so sure you hould make use of it in this case. I'd prefer a big Thank You to Julie. Why? For one thing, she doesn't do this as a professional journalist, probably doesn't even make any money out of it. All she gets from this for herself is meeting people who had a part in shaping Morrissey's musical career. Can't see anything wrong with that - let her enjoy it. In return, she offers interesting and entertaining readings to Morrissey fans. Can't see anything wrong with that either - enjoy or ignore. But the more important point is this: the fact that the people Julie interviews have mostly fallen out with Morrissey at some point does complicate the interview situation and I believe she handles this beautifully: she does address the issues but refrains from pushing her interviewees into making 'controversial' statements, thus keeping the peace and refusing to compromise either her interviewee or Morrissey himself. In the light of the mass of aggressive, hurtful and overhasty judgements about Morrissey and his former/current musical companions that can be found on this website as well as so many others, this is a tremendous achievement. So, thank you Julie.

Spencer has never, ever alluded to going back to the band if asked, on his Facebook page.

Don't make that up and post it here. It's not true.

Spencer has never, ever alluded to going back to the band if asked, on his Facebook page.

Don't make that up and post it here. It's not true.

On a recent photo comment (he had changed his profile pic back to the "Live at KROQ" sleeve image):

d2HU9.png

That's not exactly saying "I would NEVER f***ing play for Morrissey ever again."

And what about all the other times he's mentioned that he's moved on?

Doesn't count?

Sometimes a 1000 "no's" precede a "yes". That's just the way humans are.

Just read the very sharp and heartfelt mini-interview with Morrissey on Mick Ronson and was surprised at the anecdote where Mick pulls Morrissey aside and says "You realize your drummer can't actually play?"

Any further insight into this comment on Spencer? Even more credit is due to Ronson for making everyone, Spencer included, sound legendary on Your Arsenal.

I really enjoy Julie Hamill's work in these interviews. Obviously keen , but doesn't gush or froth at the mouth and keeps it about the interviewee rather than herself

My question would have been . . . . . . . . . . . .During your time as Morrisseys drummer what roll did Jake Walters play and what exactly did he bring to the table creativley ?

My question would have been . . . . . . . . . . . .During your time as Morrisseys drummer what roll did Jake Walters play and what exactly did he bring to the table creativley ?

I would have thought the answer to that one was fairly obvious...

Well its not obvious to me so please explain !!!

Jake Walters was Morrissey's live-in lover. Spencer wasn't around for the recording of Vauxhall so I doubt he'd have much to say on the Jake issue anyway.

Last edited:
Is that fact or conjecture?

Well, I'd argue that it was probable to the point of being fact, but I can't prove it so....nope, conjecture. Although it's fact that they lived together for two years and Jake took plenty of naked and semi-naked Moz photographs. I'd be surprised if anyone still thinks their relationship was platonic at this stage in the game, but there will always be a few who hold on because they desperately want Morrissey to be straight, so...

Is that published somewhere? I'm not disagreeing with you, I just don't know the source of the information

It's culled from here - it's chronological so just scroll down until it gets to 1993/4.

http://motorcycleaupairboy.com/interviews/1998/uncut.htm

That article is a long, long history of Morrissey's career and it doesn't interview Jake directly, but the writer has obviously spoken to him. Morrissey was living in Camden at the time - when I first heard "Come Back to Camden" I thought it was a very clear message to/concerning Jake, but that's just a theory.

Back in London, Mozzer tried manfully to rid himself of the reclusive habits that had often threatened to consume him. He became almost a regular at certain pubs in Camden, Vauxhall and Whitechapel, where he could be seen cradling a pint in darkened corners. In interviews, he'd even started alluding to finally understanding the need for physical relationships.
"That time was very good for him," says Jo Slee. Much of the time, Mozzer's companion was Jake Walters, a diminutive skinhead former boxer with what insiders describe as a "checquered past". Although Walters is loathe to speak about Morrissey, he will confirm that they shared a house and were "best mates".
"The most interesting and fascinating character I've ever met," confesses Walters, understandably. Jake was never on the payroll, but became Morrissey's personal assistant as soon as a stressed-out Jo resigned. Morrissey was also particularly friendly with Murray Chalmers, his press officer at EMI.

According to Jake, they never fell out. Interesting that the interview refers to Best Friend on the Payroll.

More breakfast in bed
and I'll bring the paper in later
The best friend
on the payroll, oh no no no
It's not gonna work out

Last edited:
It's culled from here - it's chronological so just scroll down until it gets to 1993/4.

http://motorcycleaupairboy.com/interviews/1998/uncut.htm

That article is a long, long history of Morrissey's career and it doesn't interview Jake directly, but the writer has obviously spoken to him. Morrissey was living in Camden at the time - when I first heard "Come Back to Camden" I thought it was a very clear message to/concerning Jake, but that's just a theory.

According to Jake, they never fell out.

Thanks for that reply Amy, that's an interesting piece. It still seems to be in the realm of assumption to some extent when it comes to a relationship, rather than factual evidence that they lived together for years and that something categorically happened as live-in lovers

Thanks for that reply Amy, that's an interesting piece. It still seems to be in the realm of assumption to some extent when it comes to a relationship, rather than factual evidence that they lived together for years and that something categorically happened as live-in lovers

How many people have you lived with, had 'breakfast in bed' with, worn their clothes and allowed to take naked pictures of you, that weren't your lover? :lbf:
Obviously we haven't heard it from the horse's mouth.... but then we've never heard anything from Morrissey on that front, he's never named any of his lovers and he's never declared his sexual identity one way or the other. Nonetheless, it's pretty self-evident by now that he's gay, right? Even Tony Fletcher said it was an open secret. I think the Jake issue comes under the same banner really.

"I think right now it’s an open secret that he’s gay. He’s had male partners and he’s quite visible with them."

Last edited:
How many people have you lived with, had 'breakfast in bed' with, worn their clothes and allowed to take naked pictures of you, that weren't your lover? :lbf:
Obviously we haven't heard it from the horse's mouth.... but then we've never heard anything from Morrissey on that front, he's never named any of his lovers and he's never declared his sexual identity one way or the other. Nonetheless, it's pretty self-evident by now that he's gay, right? Even Tony Fletcher said it was an open secret. I think the Jake issue comes under the same banner really.

"I think right now it’s an open secret that he’s gay. He’s had male partners and he’s quite visible with them."

....and to be sensible, maybe you're right, but I think it's inferred rather than a fact

Back
Top Bottom