Favourite (non-singing) musical parts in Dog on a Chain

A

Anonymous

We can argue about the lyrics til the cows come home but Dog on a Chain is SP Morrissey's richest collection of songs to date, musically. Name your favourite sections (where the singer doesn't sing).
Mine is probably the middle eight in Knockabout World, especially the final bit just before "and by the way". Those chords are flipping gorgeous!

We can argue about the lyrics til the cows come home but Dog on a Chain is SP Morrissey's richest collection of songs to date, musically. Name your favourite sections (where the singer doesn't sing).
Mine is probably the middle eight in Knockabout World, especially the final bit just before "and by the way". Those chords are flipping gorgeous!

Nothing on Dog Chain, nothing, is as good as Mountjoy.

When Morrissey dies and we are dust, the f***ing clowns on this f***ing rock will do one of those bullshit f***ing programs/YouTube videos/website articles/newspaper articles/magazine articles/radio broadcasts about how f***ing good his shit was.

I just want to say something to those c***s before any of that shit happens:

f*** you

Man all of the percussion on the title track and knockabout world. Like I said before the dynamic between the rhythm and slidy bendy part in darling. I can’t help but absentmindedly sing that rhythm. The soaring slightly falling vocal melody In Jim Jim falls. Makes me think of someone jumping and falling maybe sinking or swimming. The piano on Bobby and the way it stacks and loops etc etc

Boz's acoustic guitar work on Once I Saw the River Clean leaps out like an old friend. Love it.
Ah yes - I love it when the strumming kicks in! TBH, couldn't tell if it was Mr Boorer but it is a splendid moment. That's such a brilliantly arranged song. Love the 'hey's too that are scattered throughout. Wonder who that it is, or if a sample?

the trumpets on darling I hug a pillow.theres actually quite a few striking pieces of music on this album.

the guitar part in secret o.m. at around 2:10, shortly after the glockenspiel line. is it played by mr boorer?

it's boorer in the video, but then, there is this other guy coming up shortly afterwards. who is that?

another great guitar part at around 5:05. again, not sure who plays that.

remember when someone put up the instrumentals for low in high school which were for advertising purposes,wish someone could get their mitts on the new albums equivalent.some great music on doggy chained up.

The sound of the bass drum in the closing section of Darling, I Hug a Pillow is another good one.

I’ve been enjoying the way Ruth makes me think of ambitious outsiders mixed with in your lap. That waltzy rhythm. The sax and guitar solo on Bobby is also pretty awesome

the guitar part in secret o.m. at around 2:10, shortly after the glockenspiel line. is it played by mr boorer?

it's boorer in the video, but then, there is this other guy coming up shortly afterwards. who is that?

It's bass guitar through a fuzz/distortion pedal doubling up with the main bassline, so probably an overdub by Mando.

Back
Top Bottom