Favorite Lines or Passages from "Autobiography"

"Gill Smith and I drive up to Cambridge to see Echobelly, whom I love. Gill’s banger dates back to the Apostles so the journey takes at least five days. ‘I don’t like Sonya’s voice,’ she says, ‘she sounds like a posh bird trying to sound tough.’

‘It would be nice if YOU could occasionally manage to sound like a posh bird instead of Rita Webb,’ I flick back.

The following week Gill writes in her weekly pop column how she ‘went out with Morrissey and no one recognized him – a crisp packet would have caused more attention’, and for this I scrub Gill’s name off my In Sympathy At the Loss of Your Pet Goat list."

Get you Realitybites reciting all this stuff :D I love Echobelly too. It's good that I like one of Morrissey's favourite bands. Thanks for finding it.

Was I the only one surprised to learn that young Morrissey knew Ian Curtis?

OT: RealityBites, how can you say reality bites when you live in the supernaturally gorgeous Sedona?!

"How delightful to be thought 'bad', I muse, as I sit by a reading-light, pawing through George Eliot's Scenes of a Clerical Life."

"How delightful to be thought 'bad', I muse, as I sit by a reading-light, pawing through George Eliot's Scenes of a Clerical Life."

"mad, bad & dangerous to know"

How he wishes that were true! He's no Byron, but that's a good line, one of the ones that deserve to be in the abridged version once the Kindle file is hacked.

If someone were to remove the tedious drivel about court cases, band disputes, bitching about other C-list celebs, and just prune the bush into shape, there's a 100 page book worth reading, with a 350 page addendum of bizarre diary notes. In other words, he will rue his failure to engage an editor, a ghost-writer / prose coach and a literary mentor. He obviously lacked the confidence to become a serious writer, hence the usual absurd blustering.

It's a comedy classic. I'm on my fourth trawl through the wreckage of his mind. But it's also a bit of a shame that he's never harnessed the flower of his youth to become anything more than a petulant pop fan/star/cult leader.

"It is the song of the unresolved heart, and is so disconnected with sorrow that the sorrow turns in on itself and becomes triumph. Save the last dance for me."

p113 "Mainstream success can often be the worst thing that can befall a true artist. Imagine Bowie without his EMI America years-better to be absent and inactive in Hannover, or better my lover dead"

*sigh* Young Americans was/is as good as Heroes or Ziggy.

Why does Morrissey covet mainstream success if this is a genuine statement? It isn't. He's a fraud.

It was Dussledorf and Berlin, and Morrissey has tried and failed to replicate it in Rome. L.A Stockholm, Zurich. epicFAIL

"better my lover dead" how cryptic and mysterioso. Yawn.

"Like all bullies, she had never thought much of herself, and instead of changing the inner self she decided to complain to anyone who would sit still long enough to listen."

-page 440

-Morrissey hits the nail on the head in his description of bullies.

His musings on how friends hate it when you experience or gain some success, however big or small as it exposes their own failings. I'm glad he talks about this, i'd often thought it was only me who noticed or experienced it and it was just my imagination. I even see this attitude from some of my family, not just friends.Society just wants you to muck in and muddle along without gaining any success. How dare i get my own place or get a girlfriend etc

We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful

p.121 -

"At Stretford Jobcentre a fat-assed woman sits before me demanding to know why I left my golden position in the underground warrens of the Inland Revenue. She is a Dunlop bloater of such walrus proportions that I find it difficult to answer her."

:straightface:

If you're of the younger generation and american you've been raised to be so politically correct that even when you hear another race or nationality mentioned in a slightly negative way you jump to call it antisemitc racist prejudice.

Yeah, if you’re a white American man, those are the only two real options. Either become a hardened reactionary or a self-hating PC turd. I’ve always maintained that white men who buy into cultural leftism are mentally ill. Me personally, I’m trying to develop a middle ground, where I continue to hate cultural marxists and PC turds, but at the same time maintain progressive views on issues such as the economy.

Yeah, if you’re a white American man, those are the only two real options. Either become a hardened reactionary or a self-hating PC turd. I’ve always maintained that white men who buy into cultural leftism are mentally ill. Me personally, I’m trying to develop a middle ground, where I continue to hate cultural marxists and PC turds, but at the same time maintain progressive views on issues such as the economy.

Interesting. Tell me more.

"Like all bullies, she had never thought much of herself, and instead of changing the inner self she decided to complain to anyone who would sit still long enough to listen."

-page 440

-Morrissey hits the nail on the head in his description of bullies.

In his description of himself.

p.121 -

"At Stretford Jobcentre a fat-assed woman sits before me demanding to know why I left my golden position in the underground warrens of the Inland Revenue. She is a Dunlop bloater of such walrus proportions that I find it difficult to answer her."

:straightface:

Thought the same!

I'm still amazed that he thought the band was trying to replace him with another singer?!?! Joyce was "flush with cash" from previous lawsuit won?!?!?

After reading the part about Julie Burchill I thought it was less a rant on how disgusting fat women are and more a quiet nod to any fellow musicians reading who she's torn apart in articles that he got into the inner-sanctum and that a gross person is judging their art. It's his way of saying their executioner is a sad disgusting person and to dismiss any pain felt from her writing.

i definitely don't think his hatred is reserved for fat people. his repeated self-loathing references to his own fatness certainly suggests that he considers it a serious flaw though.

Back
Top Bottom