Far Out: "The favourite films of Smiths-era Morrissey" (April 7, 2021)

Famous when dead

Vulgarian
The favourite films of Smiths-era Morrissey.jpg

Excerpt:

"Morrissey has made it rather hard to separate the art from the artist over the last couple of decades. The singer’s comments about the uber-nationalistic For Britain movement are the kind of shenanigans that would have repulsed Morrissey’s first incarnation, the one that provided a refuge for the weak and lonely, capturing the hearts of outsiders everywhere.

It’s nice to reminisce upon a time when Morrissey wasn’t a figure that made it almost impossible to like outside of music, and that’s why we are taking a look at his list of favourite films from back in the halcyon days of The Smiths. Morrissey became a cultural connoisseur in the ’80s, his image gave his opinion a validity that separated him from the rat pack as an intellectual in a rock star guise, and his favourite films are brutally on brand."

And if you can't be bothered to read the whole thing:

Favourite films:
  • The Man Who Came To Dinner (1941)
  • A Taste Of Honey (1961)
  • Christmas In Connecticut (1945)
  • The Killing Of Sister George (1969)
  • A Kind Of Loving (1962)
  • Hobson’s Choice (1953)
  • Mr Skeffington (1944)
  • Bringing Up Baby (1938)
  • The Member Of The Wedding (1953)
  • The World, The Flesh and The Devil (1959)

This uses an old NME article as a source (see related items).
Regards,
FWD.

The interview in NME was actually more than just films and had headings for Films, Symbolists, Records & Books. Luckily archived via links below.

Related items:

I've never seen The World, The Flesh & The Devil. Will have to look it up.

download (6).jpeg

theworldthefleshandthedevil1959.96284.jpg

a taste of honey was way ahead of its time,a 17 year old getting pregnant to a black man and after being dumped moves in with a gay man.watched it a while ago,acting is very british,superb.

Agree! I love sci-fi - I can't believe it escaped me.
Me too! Well, some sci-fi! But doesn’t the plot remind you of that other film starring Vincent Price? Do you know which one?

Back
Top Bottom