Equipment

SwanseaSimon

Effects pedals?

What pedals has anyone invested in to play Smiths guitar, apart from the obvious chorus? I was thinking maybe a phaser (Just Haven't Earnt it Yet Bbay), and delay maybe.

What set up are most of you guitarists playing; I'm sure it's a wide range, but I'd be interested to see how many of you stick close to Marr/Whyte/Boorer's set ups. I'm playing a Telecaster through a Marshall, with a Daphon Chorus pedal never far away!!!!

I play a 1973 Gibson ES 335TDC, a 1960 Gibson Les Paul Classic, a 1970's re-issue Fender Telecaster Custom, Gibson SG with Vibrola Tremelo and a Mexican Fender Strat with 1962 re issue pick ups fitted and an early 70's CMI strat copy.... into Fender Blues Deluxe amp, or a Vox AC30 or Marshall Bluesbraker amps, with various old MXR or boss pedals. Marr was an influence on the purchase of the 335(although i know he played a 355), as was Cream era Eric Clapton.... and just the fact that it sounds awsome. Never really inspired to copy someone's entire set up, but Boz and Alain have good rigs. Their sound can be replicated using other stuff if that's what you're looking to acheive.

Re: Effects pedals?

Delay and Tremelo are a good place to start, but i try and learn the songs 'clean' first so you know you have it all down right.

At the moment I have a relatively cheap Yamaha acoustic and a Fender strat, but I have almost saved up enough for a Rickenbacker 330 so I can recreate that wonderful jangly sound. I love the sound of Rickenbacker, obviously Johnny and The Smiths show how great they sound, but I love R.E.M and Peter Buck's style of play too so it was the only guitar I really wanted.
I've yet to find save for a decent pedal, but hopefully that can be next on the shopping list!

I have two Rickenbacker guitars, a 12 string 360 and a 6 string 360. I use a Vox AC15CC amp.I was taught to play guitar through old R.E.M. and The Byrds tracks so those were perfect guitars for what I enjoyed doing.

I hardly pick them up anymore though, pity.

At the moment I have a relatively cheap Yamaha acoustic and a Fender strat, but I have almost saved up enough for a Rickenbacker 330 so I can recreate that wonderful jangly sound. I love the sound of Rickenbacker, obviously Johnny and The Smiths show how great they sound, but I love R.E.M and Peter Buck's style of play too so it was the only guitar I really wanted.
I've yet to find save for a decent pedal, but hopefully that can be next on the shopping list!

If you don't mind me asking, howmuch are you paying for the Rickenbacker 330, and where's the best (cheapest!) place to pick one up? Ebay? I'd sell a kidney for one! :)

Just got a multi effects pedal & the tremelo really works for How Soon...... (well it would, wouldn't it :blushing: ). Very happy with it.

Really...I would totally want to start a band with you :guitar:

I have two Rickenbacker guitars, a 12 string 360 and a 6 string 360. I use a Vox AC15CC amp.I was taught to play guitar through old R.E.M. and The Byrds tracks so those were perfect guitars for what I enjoyed doing.

Boz played some AMAZING guitars when I saw them last weekend..

What I can remember..

1. Telecaster
2. Some single P-90 jobber that looks like an old Airliner or something.
3. Les Paul with mini HB's.
4. A truly incredible custom Firebird. Beautiful.
5. A custom-made Gretsch Pink Penguin. Basically a White Penguin with gold armrest and light pink finish.

Boz played some AMAZING guitars when I saw them last weekend..

What I can remember..

1. Telecaster
2. Some single P-90 jobber that looks like an old Airliner or something.
3. Les Paul with mini HB's.
4. A truly incredible custom Firebird. Beautiful.
5. A custom-made Gretsch Pink Penguin. Basically a White Penguin with gold armrest and light pink finish.

I've spoken to Boz a few times through his myspace. He told me the Pink Penguin was made especially for him. I don't think there are any others in existence. He's also got a silver metallic Telecaster which I think is quite rare, and when I say metallic I mean a metal body. It not Fender but I cant remember the manufacture, I'll check back through the messages.

What is the model that Jesse uses regularly..? Also used a lot by the guy in The Killers..? I think its a Fender but im not too sure.

I've spoken to Boz a few times through his myspace. He told me the Pink Penguin was made especially for him. I don't think there are any others in existence. He's also got a silver metallic Telecaster which I think is quite rare, and when I say metallic I mean a metal body. It not Fender but I cant remember the manufacture, I'll check back through the messages.

What is the model that Jesse uses regularly..? Also used a lot by the guy in The Killers..? I think its a Fender but im not too sure.

Yeah. It's a Fender Starcaster.

Would you consider selling them? PM me is so - I'd love a Rick!

Tele's are worth a bit more financially, but its all about personal choice.... .

You'll develop your own style no matter what you use... (which is a GOOD thing)
:thumb:

Really...I would totally want to start a band with you :guitar:

Haha, nah, you wouldnt, as Peter Buck once described his earlier playing, its three chords and a cloud of dust.My skills are lacking these days.

Would you consider selling them? PM me is so - I'd love a Rick!

Sorry but I doubt I would sell either one, I have had them quite a long time.So there is some memories and nostalgia involved with them.I had the 6 string since about 5th grade or so, I am now 33.

Damn, I am old.

Just got a multi effects pedal & the tremelo really works for How Soon...... (well it would, wouldn't it :blushing: ). Very happy with it.

i use backwards delay for the overdub part on How Soon Is Now
and turn the gain up on a lot of songs and then some chorus ensemble.
i hear a lot of flange on the rockpalast show
i love the way the band was playing the songs during the YATQ tour so i try to replicate that kinda sound too with the delay pedal...i dunno

Back
Top Bottom