EastEnders role offer claim in Morrissey's "Autobiography" questioned

Exclusive: 'Nasty Nick' Actor, Others Doubt Moz's EastEnders Claim - The Huffington Post
by Larry Jaffee
Editor & Publisher, Walford Gazette

Excerpt:

Morrissey's assertion in Autobiography about being offered a role on EastEnders as Dot Cotton's long-lost son has been called into question by several people associated with the series.

"I would arrive unexpectedly in Albert Square and cause births, deaths and factory fires every time I opened my mouth," writes Moz on page 353.

John Altman, who would have played his on-screen brother 'Nasty Nick' Cotton (and has done so on and off since 1985), questions the revelation in an exclusive Walford Gazette interview from Fareham, England, where he's performing in a panto production of Jack and the Beanstalk through 5 January.

"I think Morrissey might have been making that up," says Altman, who would have not necessarily minded if EastEnders had given 'Nasty Nick' a brother. "I know that the late Gary Holton was up for it. We looked a bit similar back then." Holton, English actor and musician among his credits the comedy Auf Wiedersehen, Pet and as frontman of the Heavy Metal Kids, died in October 1985, about eight months after EastEnders debuted.

In his book Morrissey doesn't say exactly when this "offer" took place, presumably while he was living in California some time in the late 1990s to early 2000s.

An EastEnders executive certainly in the position to know if it were the case tells the Gazette: "I've heard this claim before but as far as I'm aware, it's untrue."

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm quite sure that Morrissey was simply sounded out to judge whether or not the idea had legs. He has mentioned before that he occasionally used to get offers for acting roles. I recall that he said something along the lines that just because you have an ability to sing it "doesn't mean that your talents are elastic", pointing to Jagger and Bowie as examples.

I can instantly think of someone where I work who has no idea that he works alongside a woman who sniffed at the chance to apply for the job he's in. If she announced the fact tomorrow, he'd say it was bollocks.

Moz might be myth -making bullshitter- who knew!

After 2 nights of Sabbath at the winter Solstice here in Brum - can only feel compassion for your deluded cult and bogus leader. Ozzy is a genuine world superstar and Sabbath returned in triumph with 13 and minus drummer - they found the spirit of Bonham. Morrissey is a busted flush- pity poor Manchester -ultimate bullshitter city -Joy Division- Smiths-Stone Roses: all almost epochal but not quite - no clear winner. Liverpool-Beatles Brum - Sabbath : 2 groups that changed music for ever- Morrissey? *rollseyes*

Last edited:

After 2 nights of Sabbath at the winter Solstice here in Brum - can only feel compassion for your deluded cult and bogus leader. Ozzy is a genuine world superstar and Sabbath returned in triumph with 13 and minus drummer - they found the spirit of Bonham. Morrissey is a busted flush- pity poor Manchester -ultimate bullshitter city -Joy Division- Smiths-Stone Roses: all almost epochal but not quite - no clear winner. Liverpool-Beatles Brum - Sabbath : 2 groups that changed music for ever- Morrissey? *rollseyes*

Ozzy invited a f***ing film crew into the sanctity of his home for TWO YEARS because he's a corporate sellout and attention whore.

I suppose that the fact that Dot Cotton's other son never turned up in Eastenders does make it a bit fishy. Maybe they offered him a part and he embellished what it was. I can't imagine they would not simply re-cast the character involved in what would have turned out to be a major plot development.
Eastenders is truly truly terrible.

ozzy osbourne hahahahahhahahaha clown of the century you sap
is that all youve got bummie????????? really?

changed music forever thats funny bummie..............youve excelled yourself there bub.......changed music they struggle to change a light bulb, collectively the thickest dullest most utterly forgetable band ..ever

Tags
eastenders

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom