Early Smiths influences in the Soviet Union – Кино́

Wobble

Wythenshawe Waltzer
Cheers everyone!

Recently I've been listening more to the back catalog of Kino, who are arguably Russia's most loved rock group – the kind of band whose songs can be heard covered by street musicians all over the former eastern block, and that's still igniting flames today amidst what's currently happening in Belarus.

The band were fans of the Smiths from early on (quite a phenomenon for such music to reach the Union that quickly), and I'm always surprised about just how much of their influence can be heard on their mid-80s albums, especially "Это не любовь" / This Isn't Love.

While this is certainly not one of their best albums, I wanted to share this with those of you that could be interested and haven't stumbled across this already.

I'd be very interested if anyone has similar things to share from unexpected origins, especially dating back to the 1980s.

🙌

Cheers everyone!

Recently I've been listening more to the back catalog of Kino, who are arguably Russia's most loved rock group – the kind of band whose songs can be heard covered by street musicians all over the former eastern block, and that's still igniting flames today amidst what's currently happening in Belarus.

The band were fans of the Smiths from early on (quite a phenomenon for such music to reach the Union that quickly), and I'm always surprised about just how much of their influence can be heard on their mid-80s albums, especially "Это не любовь" / This Isn't Love.

While this is certainly not one of their best albums, I wanted to share this with those of you that could be interested and haven't stumbled across this already.

I'd be very interested if anyone has similar things to share from unexpected origins, especially dating back to the 1980s.

🙌

Hello Wobble! I grew up in one of the Post Soviet republics. Kino was still quite popular in 90s even after the tragic death of their lead singer. Victor Tsoi also had a beautiful voice and a beautiful way to talk to people’s hearts, just like Morrissey. It would be great if M could listen to Kino. Even better if Morrissey could ask someone to translate the lyrics for him. Tsoi’s poetry and life ideals could resonate with him :guitar:

Back
Top Bottom