Dying for a fag!

Thanks for your kind words. He is 75, smoked for over 50 years and quit about 6 yrs ago -cold turkey- after his bro passed away. He was going thru treatment but it's not helping much. It was either get radiation for 5 days a week for 5 weeks or stop altogether. Chose the latter. He also had a spot succesfully removed in his brain before he even started the chemo for the lung. It's sad. He's a good guy/dad/grandpa -a tough old ex Marine -knew more jokes than anyone I've ever met. He's not in any pain, so that's good. It's just one day at at time. Sorry don't mean to be debbie downer.

You ar enot being a debbie downer, just telling it how it is. I'm sorry for your family and for your dad in law. *hug*

There's a dude who has been getting me cartons of Newports for $27 lately (in a store it's $49). I'm not asking any questions about where he's getting 'em from. It's pretty f***ing cool. :) If I can keep getting 'em at that black-market price, why quit?!

There's a dude who has been getting me cartons of Newports for $27 lately (in a store it's $49). I'm not asking any questions about where he's getting 'em from. It's pretty f***ing cool. :) If I can keep getting 'em at that black-market price, why quit?!

I dunno.. cancer, heart disease, emphysema maybe

If you drink alot try making something else a habit so you satisfy that "pleasure seeking" when you drink.
This sounds stupid, but try chewing gum. That worked for me in the beginning. It still could work, but all my friends smoke and with all that smoke being blown in my face I thought to myself.."Screw it, I'm getting smoke in me anyway so why not let me puff when their around!"

(I love how I try to rationalize it!) haha

There's few things I hate more than seeing people chewing gum like cows.

I dunno.. cancer, heart disease, emphysema maybe

Captain Ellerby: "I’m gonna go have a smoke right now. You want a smoke? You don’t smoke, do ya, right? What are ya, one of those fitness freaks, huh? Go f*** yourself." (From The Departed)

Captain Ellerby: "I’m gonna go have a smoke right now. You want a smoke? You don’t smoke, do ya, right? What are ya, one of those fitness freaks, huh? Go f*** yourself." (From The Departed)

Well firstly, poor quote

and secondly, those cheap fags you are smoking are probably knock-off fakes. Cigarettes which are produced from the left overs on facory floors, which have often, on closer examination, been found to have rats poop and other nasty stuff in them.

Happy Smoking:sick:

Hey Paulc, i stopped smoking two weeks ago on Monday, i used patches for the first week and then went cold turkey and hav ebeen crying and snapping since. I still haven't smoked because i want to stop for my health and my kids. They are so chuffed with me, my other half still smokes (just not around me or i WOULD KILL HIM, SERIOUSLY) You kept popping into my mind when i found it hard. Thank you

Hey Slum Mum thats terrific - keep it going, i promise that being a non smoker is so much better in so many ways than having a bloody fag!!

The only thing a cigarette gives you is the desire to have another cigarette. Nothing else.

Keep posting on here and i will keep on supporting you. :guitar:

Are you still off the cigarettes, Paul? :)

Hey Imogen, how are you doing? thanks so much for for asking, yeah still off the fags:

I have been quit for 2 Months, 3 Weeks, 3 Days, 11 hours, 55 minutes and 56 seconds (84 days). I have saved £416.57 by not smoking 1,436 cigarettes. I have saved 4 Days, 23 hours and 40 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 01/01/2008 05:24

How cool is that!!

Theo - you are a funny guy.

Slum Mum i found it really useful to download one of these quit counter thingys - i really like the numbers side to quitting. Just google quit keeper if you want the one i use but there are many. There are also very useful quit smoking discussion forums....but people who have just quit smoking tend to argue with each other quite alot!! ha ha

Hey Slum Mum thats terrific - keep it going, i promise that being a non smoker is so much better in so many ways than having a bloody fag!!

The only thing a cigarette gives you is the desire to have another cigarette. Nothing else.

Keep posting on here and i will keep on supporting you. :guitar:

Thank you so much, i really appreciate everything you have said. I promise to stay off the demon weed......(tobacco that is :D)

Hey Imogen, how are you doing? thanks so much for for asking, yeah still off the fags:

I have been quit for 2 Months, 3 Weeks, 3 Days, 11 hours, 55 minutes and 56 seconds (84 days). I have saved £416.57 by not smoking 1,436 cigarettes. I have saved 4 Days, 23 hours and 40 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 01/01/2008 05:24

How cool is that!!

Theo - you are a funny guy.

Slum Mum i found it really useful to download one of these quit counter thingys - i really like the numbers side to quitting. Just google quit keeper if you want the one i use but there are many. There are also very useful quit smoking discussion forums....but people who have just quit smoking tend to argue with each other quite alot!! ha ha

Wow, that's f***ing GREAT. Congratulations! :guitar: :D :guitar:

still not quit. But good on your guys for doing so well!

How Smoking Harms People of All Ages
There are approximately 4000 chemicals in cigarette smoke, many of them toxic. The ingredients in cigarettes affect everything from the internal functioning of organs to the efficiency of the body's immune system. The effects of cigarette smoking are destructive and widespread.

* Toxic ingredients in cigarette smoke travel throughout the body, causing damage in several different ways.
* Nicotine reaches the brain within 10 seconds after smoke is inhaled. It has been found in every part of the body and in breast milk.
* Carbon monoxide binds to hemoglobin in red blood cells, preventing affected cells from carrying a full load of oxygen.
* Cancer-causing agents (carcinogens) in tobacco smoke damage important genes that control the growth of cells, causing them to grow abnormally or to reproduce too rapidly.
* The carcinogen benzo(a)pyrene binds to cells in the airways and major organs of smokers.
* Smoking affects the function of the immune system and may increase the risk for respiratory and other infections.
* There are several likely ways that cigarette smoke does its damage.
* One is oxidative stress that mutates DNA, promotes atherosclerosis, and leads to chronic lung injury. Oxidative stress is thought to be the general mechanism behind the aging process, contributing to the development of cancer, cardiovascular disease, and COPD.
* The body produces antioxidants to help repair damaged cells. Smokers have lower levels of antioxidants in their blood than do nonsmokers.
* Smoking is associated with higher levels of chronic inflammation, another damaging process that may result in oxidative stress.

Read more about how cigarettes harm us from head to toe: The Effects of Cigarette Smoking

Bless you.

Back
Top Bottom