Dying for a fag!

Paulc

On holiday by mistake
Happy new year to everyone.

I have subscribed to the tired old cliche of giving up smoking as a new years resolution. Its been about 30 hours so far and i am finding it really tough.

I have smoked most of my adult life since i was about 17 - i am 35 now. I was smoking about 15 a day. I have given up before but always ended up back on the fags. Usually through getting drunk. This time i have gone completely cold turkey - no nicotine replacement rubbish. Just willpower.

for anyone in any doubt this is a full on addiction to a substance that is a real toughy to give up - more addictive than heroin they say.

Couple of qs

1. anyone else giving up at the mo?

2. Why do my lungs hurt - i have stopped ffs? They didnt hurt when i was polluting them!

3. Willpower alone- will it be enough?

4. Is it alright that i have been at work all day but havent done a thing except read the Meat is Murder discussion - cos i cant concentrate on anything else??

Anyone who has given up before - fair play to you - i could use any words of advice you may have.

Cheers

p

I have subscribed to the tired old cliche of giving up smoking as a new years resolution. Its been about 30 hours so far and i am finding it really tough.

I have smoked most of my adult life since i was about 17 - i am 35 now. I was smoking about 15 a day. I have given up before but always ended up back on the fags. Usually through getting drunk. This time i have gone completely cold turkey - no nicotine replacement rubbish. Just willpower.

for anyone in any doubt this is a full on addiction to a substance that is a real toughy to give up - more addictive than heroin they say.

Couple of qs

2. Why do my lungs hurt - i have stopped ffs? They didnt hurt when i was polluting them!

4. Is it alright that i have been at work all day but havent done a thing except read the Meat is Murder discussion - cos i cant concentrate on anything else??

Anyone who has given up before - fair play to you - i could use any words of advice you may have.

Cheers

p

Oh best of luck to you!!!! really, it is a horrible thing to give up completely. Takes over your body and mind. It's a shitty process but has to be worth it in the end. I smoked for nearly 10 years and have been in the process of quitting since April. I cut down to just bumming them while I was drunk. That would average to about 1-2 a week or so. I didn't consider myself a smoker while doing that because I didnt buy packs and while I was sober, smoking was gross to me.

I picked back up again and smoked from late Oct of this year (started at the Moz gigs in NYC due to nerves) till late November. But have been off smoking since.

Its hard not to smoke while drinking but I allowed myself to do so. I think its ok, as long as it doesn't lead to smoking while sober, you't not buying packs, and eventually you do fully quit.

As for your questions...

My lungs hurt while quitting as well. When your body is going thru the withdraw, your lungs I guess purge all of the toxins etc that have built up in your lungs. Some people get a bad cough while quitting. I have heard its your body trying to rid itself of the nicotine and tar etc.
Its all part of the process.

I used the patch for a short while but didnt notice much of a difference. I just went cold turkey. Its a rough ride but its worth it in the end I promise!

As for being distracted at work, I know what you mean. I was such a horrid bitch while at work and got next to nothing done. Thankfully this is common for me so most people were not offended.

Best of luck and please allow friends and loved ones to know what you're doing so they can support you. It really helps to have someone to call if you want to smoke. They can tell you how stupid it is and how important it is that you quit. It's good to have a support system. I hope you can do this!!!!

regarding your smoking, my bf stopped october 2006 and he has been struggling with wanting to start for the last couple of months.
He got patches from the doctor wore one, could not get the 2nd one open and said sod it and just willpowered his way through it. He maintains he is not better without it but he is. He used to have a chest infection ever other month and he has not had one since he stopped. For the first few months you will feel a bit rough I think, for example, chesty cough, breathlessness but it WILL pass.
You could go to the gp and ask for the tablets for stopping smoking, I can not recall what they are called but my friend is using them at the moment, however there are side effects (as there are with most drugs) and he says he feels terribly sick a lot, maybe this is to put the quitter off the idea of a fag!
Good luck with it, another idea is, how about using this thread as a little diary, I mean even if it is just you thats reading it, its good to keep a record of how you are doing or feeling.
I know my bf was like wow, 2 days, a week! 2 WEEKS so on.

Skinner and Vicarinatutugal, Thankyou both so much for your support and words of advice - much appreciated.

I have downloaded this cool desktop app called QuitKeeper. It tells u some interesting stats:

As at 4.30pm UK time:

I have not had a fag for 1 day 11 hours and 7 mins

I have not had 24 cigarettes

I have saved £7.21

I have added 2 hours to my life expectency

I better not get run over by a truck delivering cigarettes to tescos.:D

Best of luck to you. I've never smoked, but have no doubt that it's very addictive. Just think of the additional years you'll have, and fewer wrinkles :)

I've also been at work today and have spent far too much time on the Meat Is Murder Thread as you can see!

I have you tried gum or hard sweets/candy to suck on?

Hypnosis, my brother did that and it worked.

You will stop smoking​
hypnoO____O.gif

Cornelius - trying not to substitute the cigs for food - in fear of gaining whale like proportions.

Have considered Hypnotherapy but am a bit sceptical about it working on me. Also cant help thinking about the guy who gets hypnotised in the movie Office Space but the hypnotherapist dies from a heart attack before he wakes him up!

Drink a lot of water
Keep your hands busy
Change your routine
Don't turn to food or you will blimp out
Every time you get the urge to light one up put the money you save in a jar it will fill up fast if you were like me.

If you can make it past day three or four you should be okay. Good luck!

I quit 10 months ago after smoking for 19 years. It wasn't easy but strangely wasn't as hard as I expected it to be. I wouldn't recommend going cold turkey - get yourself some patches, seriously. They DO help take the edge off.

And I would definitely not recommend letting yourself have a crafty fag while out drinking or whatever - there are many lapsed ex-smokers who have fallen for that trap.

I quit 10 months ago after smoking for 19 years. It wasn't easy but strangely wasn't as hard as I expected it to be. I wouldn't recommend going cold turkey - get yourself some patches, seriously. They DO help take the edge off.

And I would definitely not recommend letting yourself have a crafty fag while out drinking or whatever - there are many lapsed ex-smokers who have fallen for that trap.

thanks mate

i am really trying to stay away from the patches and nicotine replacement stuff - i just feel like i need to not be addicted to it anymore!

As for the crafty fag - no way. I have been down that route before and as you say it is a slippery slope. The smoking ban will be a huge help in that regard but i am intending to stay well away from the pub for a few months.

Drink a lot of water
Keep your hands busy
Change your routine
Don't turn to food or you will blimp out
Every time you get the urge to light one up put the money you save in a jar it will fill up fast if you were like me.

If you can make it past day three or four you should be okay. Good luck!

Thanks Steph! I take it you never went back to smoking?

Best of luck to you. I've never smoked, but have no doubt that it's very addictive. Just think of the additional years you'll have, and fewer wrinkles :)

I've also been at work today and have spent far too much time on the Meat Is Murder Thread as you can see!

Today - my biggest wish in life is not that i want to have a cigarette - its that i wish i have never bloody started in the first place. Any youngsters reading this - dont start smoking. Its not cool.

Working in a hospital looking after poorly people that suffer from COPD, lung cancer and heart disease which are all related to this demon drug I sympathise for you. (i too smoke and have done on and off since i was 15, i'm 33 now) just a few words of encouragement for you. After
20 min. Blood pressure and pulse return to normal

8 hrs Nicotine and carbon monoxide levels in blood reduce by half. Oxygen levels return to normal.

24 hrs Carbon monoxide will be eliminated from the body. Lungs start to clear out mucous and other smoking debris.

48 hrs There is no nicotine left in the body. Ability to taste and smell is greatly improved.

72 hrs Breathing becomes easier. Bronchial tubes begin to relax and energy levels increase.

2-12 weeks Circulation improves

3 - 9 months Coughs, wheezing and breathing problems improve as lung functions are increased by up to 10%

5 yrs. Risk of heart attack falls to about half that of a smoker

10 yrs. Risk of lung cancer falls to about half that of a smoker. Risk of heart attack falls to the same as someone who has never smoked.

Confidence: Quitting smoking is a challenge. Once you have quit, you will know you can succeed at difficult taks and take more control of your life. Quitting helps you believe in yourself.

Fitness: Smoking makes it harder to exercise and reduces the benefits to your body. Smokers have more coughs and colds than non-smokers and take longer to feel well again.

Money: In a way, giving up smoking is like getting a pay rise, as much as £1500 a year if you smoke 20 cigarettes a day.

Appearance: Skin starved of oxygen by smoking becomes dry and grey.
Wrinkles around the eyes and mouth develop much earlier and the tar stains your teeth and fingers.

Fertility: Men who smoke may suffer impotence due to damage
to the blood vessels in the penis. Sperm quality and density can also be affected by smoking. Smokers may produce less sperm and their sperm may have more abnormalities.

You are doing a fantastic job and i salute you. You are an amazing indiviual and i know you can do it. If you feel the urge and you feel like you are losing control just remember that you are quitting one of the most powerful and potent drugs easily available and that if you ever need to talk to someone, we are here. Plus in a few weeks i will be just like you. (Except i am seeing my nurse and getting some hypnotherapy, willpower is just not enough, i have had a love hate relationship with the cigarettes. My other half smokes too and i have to try and get him to stop, i can't do this on my own. But hey you will not be alone in your endeavour. Keep strong, and believe that you are now a non smoker.

If you need some encouragement contact the NHS Direct. It does work.

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=437&sectionId=1

Couple of qs

Cheers

p
Good luck to you! I started smoking at 15. I still smoke at 27, I've given up for over a year twice, and many other times, and am STILL on the fags :( I really am going o try again this year at some point. My husband, however, has successfully given up fags (yay him) I think going on for 4 years ago. He had tried and failed a million times like the rest of us, and just got sick of failing. He uses nasal spray and lozenges, and is giving up the spray at the moment. Oh, and your lungs hurt as they're getting rid of all the crap!

Last edited:
Hey,

Good luck to you. Think of how you'll be helping yourself & the people around you....Plus, your lungs will be nice & you'll live longer (to obviously do the things you want)!!

Try cold turkey, put them in the garbage & occupy yourself w/ other things.

I stopped smoking last January. It was pretty easy for me because I'm fairly young (27). I chewed a shit load of gum to help. Cinnamon.

I do admit, that I smoke when I'm drunk..I can't help it..I don't drink often anymore so a few ciggarrettes a month isn't going to kill me (fast anyway) :)

I do admit, that I smoke when I'm drunk..I can't help it..I don't drink often anymore so a few ciggarrettes a month isn't going to kill me (fast anyway) :)

I am pretty much the same way. How long have you been doing that for (just smoking a few while drinking)? Since last January? I'm curious to see if I will always continue to want a cigarette while drinking or if the feeling will fade.

I just don't want to end up like my father. Still a smoker after 45 years and a million failed attempts at quitting. Oi! :(

I am pretty much the same way. How long have you been doing that for (just smoking a few while drinking)? Since last January? I'm curious to see if I will always continue to want a cigarette while drinking or if the feeling will fade.

I just don't want to end up like my father. Still a smoker after 45 years and a million failed attempts at quitting. Oi! :(

I stopped smoking cold turkey last January. I didn't pick up a ciggarette again until last month when I was drunk.
I decided to smoke when I was drinking because I was avoiding my friends and avoiding going out with them. (They all smoke and it's hard and sad to not smoke when drinking)
It's working out pretty good. I give in when I'm drunk and I'm not craving it when I'm sober.
Now, If I start drinking every weekend, then I might start to have a problem again! :)

Thats were I always go wrong...perhaps I just drink too much...:o

Back
Top Bottom