Durham, NC - The Carolina Theatre (June 15, 2015) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

The Queen Is Dead / Suedehead / Staircase At The University / Ganglord / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Speedway / I Will See You In Far-Off Places / Kiss Me A Lot / Istanbul / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Now My Heart Is Full / Everyday Is Like Sunday / The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores / Neal Cassady Drops Dead / People Are The Same Everywhere / The Bullfighter Dies / Meat Is Murder / What She Said // First Of The Gang To Die

setlist provided by setlist.fm, correction by an anonymous person.

• Live: The pleasure, the privilege was ours, Morrissey by Alex Maiolo - Indy Week. Link posted by an anonymous person.
  • Photo by josh_hofer / Instagram. Link posted by docinwestchester.

durham.jpg

Last edited:
So disappointed. We love Morrissey and have been disappointed through multiple cancelations. He finally showed tonight and used the venue to play every political song he has. We don't share many of his views. He has a wonderful talent, but unless he is donating 100% of the price of our tickets to PETA I have lost respect.

Wow, how dare a musician play the songs of his choosing at his own concert. The nerve of some people!

Parts of North Carolina are civilized, enlightened -- progressive, even; other parts remain, like much of the US Deep South, politely segregated, deeply reactionary, and inseparably attached to swine flesh.

I'm so tired of the stereotype that the South is "segregated" I've been all over the country and the South is no less segregated than anywhere else. People, in general, want to live amongst people with whom they share a similar culture and values. A lot segregation, whether it be in the South, or anywhere else is largely due to socioeconomic factors.

i rarely see complaints start with well, in my opinion...or..for me etc but i do see often a that song is awful and should never be played again exaggeration all over the place. it doesnt take much time or effort to say these qualifiers but people rarely take the time

Conversely, that these opinions are delivered in the forum of a public message board should negate the need for a qualifying statement that it is the poster's opinion. I would hazard a guess that a very small percentage of what is posted in these comments is empirical fact. Some posters need to stop all the hand-wringing when a negative (or positive) opinion contradicts their own, as if it is a direct attack on their core values - and, no, Anonymous, I am not singling you out in saying this. I just don't see the point in feeding incivility with further incivility.

I know, I know: "welcome to the Internet," "lower your expectations," etc.

Did anyone open for him? What time did he go on? I'm going in DC and the venue isn't posting anything.

Conversely, that these opinions are delivered in the forum of a public message board should negate the need for a qualifying statement that it is the poster's opinion. I would hazard a guess that a very small percentage of what is posted in these comments is empirical fact. Some posters need to stop all the hand-wringing when a negative (or positive) opinion contradicts their own, as if it is a direct attack on their core values - and, no, Anonymous, I am not singling you out in saying this. I just don't see the point in feeding incivility with further incivility.

I know, I know: "welcome to the Internet," "lower your expectations," etc.

no standards should be raised for civility and assumption which i find mostly uncivil. its mostly just about practicality though rather than idealism. id just rather see people converse more and debate more than make attention grabbing (hilarious) statements or just have them bicker and argue which is mostly what ive seen. with little effort people who claim to want more of this conversation could eliminate a lot of bumps in the back and forth at the cost of mostly nothing. why would anyone be resistant to that proposal of qualifying as it just takes so little effort and would eliminate a problem which many have complained about. why make such a big deal about it as it would be practically helpful if meaningful conversation is what people want

So disappointed. We love Morrissey and have been disappointed through multiple cancelations. He finally showed tonight and used the venue to play every political song he has. We don't share many of his views. He has a wonderful talent, but unless he is donating 100% of the price of our tickets to PETA I have lost respect.

I've been a Smiths fan since 1986, and I've followed Morrissey's solo career since it began. Despite the fact that I'm a Christian, eat meat, am very patriotic, and am an eternal optimist who looks at the glass half full, I'm one of Morrissey's biggest fans.

The Durham show was my 8th, and I must candidly say that I left truly disappointed. I thought that we got a B rate performance and set list. Also, I know better than anyone what his views are on animal rights and politics, and I expect these views to be addressed during a show, but his fixation on these issues makes for a lesser experience. MIM is an absolute buzz kill, as is Ganglord.

I don't love Morrissey because I see him as a role model. I love Morrissey because ever since I listened to The Queen is Dead, I've been hooked and the Smiths are still my favorite band of all time. I love Morrissey because he is incredibly talented. I love Morrissey because he is unique and not mainstream, and an enigma.

I've reached the point where I'd prefer not to get preached to, our lectured, our judged (and sorry Moz, I stopped at the Waffle House in Mebane, NC on my way home and had bacon and eggs). I want to be entertained by Moz, and see a living legend who has a DEEP catalogue of outstanding music. His fixation with animal rights and politics, IMO, gets in the way. Maybe I've changed, and Moz has not. Or maybe I need to do a better job at accepting Moz for who he is...

His fixation with animal rights and politics, IMO, gets in the way.

Of course I respect your opinion but I must say that I find the above statement incredibly fascinating because, firstly, there are much more political artists out there than Morrissey and, secondly, his last two albums, YOR and ROTT, weren't particularly political. So how can there be a fixation on politics? That's why I'm a little confused by the statement. Furthermore I don't think that "entertainment" in the traditional sense has ever been Morrissey's aim. And I, personally, feel that he IS unique, not mainstream and an enigma precisely BECAUSE he playes shows like the one you just described.

I've reached the point where I'd prefer not to get preached to, our lectured, our judged (and sorry Moz, I stopped at the Waffle House in Mebane, NC on my way home and had bacon and eggs). I want to be entertained by Moz, and see a living legend who has a DEEP catalogue of outstanding music. His fixation with animal rights and politics, IMO, gets in the way. Maybe I've changed, and Moz has not. Or maybe I need to do a better job at accepting Moz for who he is...

You are not alone my friend. He is coming to my hometown in a few days and for the first time I am not going to the concert. Largely for the reasons you list above. His concerts are amongst the shortest of any performing artist, and with the set-list bloated with WPINOYB "songs" (I guess you could call them) it leaves time for little else. So to fill the remaining five or so song slots he inserts MIM and other dirges that act to suck the remaining energy out of the room like a vacuum cleaner sucks up dust.

I see written on here all the time that "Moz was disappointed with the energy of the crowd". Energy! From the set-lists I've seen he could sing a 45 minute version of Asleep which would accomplish the same thing and I also would enjoy more. And for you to even consider needing to try and do a better job of accepting Morrissey...please, I would suggest putting in the same time and effort he does accepting those whose beliefs, and views he doesn't agree with....there...you're done.

Well written, clear, good grammar and coherent - what are you doing here my friend? But thanks for this insight.

Ha-ha! I agree with you and the OP and everyone that has expressed their appreciation that we are truly fortunate to see Moz performing in such fine form, regardless of which songs he did or did not play. Who knows how many more times we may have the opportunity? ("You're going to miss me when I'm gone....") Of course, I completely understand wishing he would or would not play particular songs, since we all have our favorites and less than faves-- just wish people would express their disappointment a little less harshly, but that's just me, and these forums seem to bring out the worst in some people, and some just like to provoke. But like someone else said, this is a forum to vent, among other things, so I understand to a degree.

I don't think the setlist or the videos should be a surprise to anyone that checks this site and others--it doesn't seem to vary by much. The videos...well, I like most of you, I already knew what to expect during MIM. I just looked elsewhere during it. The Ganglord video is topical, albeit tough to watch. For anyone reading this to gain insight because you're going to an upcoming show, try to keep an open mind and go with the mindset that you'll have a special, amazing time and be treated to Moz's magnificent voice. Try not to set yourself up for disappointment by hoping he'll play all your favorites and it's probably good to familiarize yourself with WPINOYB--the songs sound even better live. I'm still basking in the Morrissey-ness of the evening....

Someone asked who the black female singer and song was in the pre-show video, and I can't remember if there were others, but the one I remember was Ike and Tina Turner, Nutbush City Limits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6xq3ZnDzk4

Not sure who the punk girl singer/group was but that song was getting on my last nerve--maybe it was The Slits, but I'm sure someone will enlighten me. ...let me not start to become harsh myself!

'

I agree but I always feel the need to comment when some critique is a bit unreasonable and harsh in regard to Moz' age and health which, by all means, can't be helped. I know I shouldn't even comment on that and shrug it off but I can't. And when then, on top of it, someone hysterically screams "But Mick Jagger is older and dances his arse off", I want to punsh that person :D Sorry ...

Yeah, I don't have complaints about that kind of stuff. I just want him to stop playing covers, especially To Give.. way too many of his own songs we could be hearing instead.

I have been to enough shows that I have had 10/10 experiences and 7/10 experiences. Other than a cancelled show I have never had less than a 7 out of 10 and that's often due to the asshats around me.

I'll be there in Worcester (which we pronounce 'Wista' or 'Woosta') next week and based on the setlists recently this has a chance to be a great night... I will report back with an objective recap.

Currently dealing with health issues...... Really?! He said he had been scraped for tissue bit never did he say he was still dealing with any cancerous tissue. Stop with the drama, you are scaring the fans.

Btw when did reviews become synposes rather than a review.

Tynamuna, don't be stupid. You don't live under a rock. You know very well that even though this journalist has likely alluded to that cancer headline, that this wasn't the only health issue / health scare in recent years and since you read the post-show threads you also know that these issues are either still there or, at least, they left some afteraffects.

Tynamuna, don't be stupid. You don't live under a rock. You know very well that even though this journalist has likely alluded to that cancer headline, that this wasn't the only health issue / health scare in recent years and since you read the post-show threads you also know that these issues are either still there or, at least, they left some afteraffects.

I very well know that he has health problems but we don't know if the cancerous tissue is still at bay. Either way i found it very insensitive of the writer to bring it up as a current problem, knowing how serious of an issue it is and how upset it makes fans. My heart sinks any time i hear morrissey and cancer in the same sentence. So to all the journalists out there, be careful of how you throw the cancer subject all over the place. I know its "grabbing" but it terrifies the fans

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I don't have complaints about that kind of stuff. I just want him to stop playing covers, especially To Give.. way too many of his own songs we could be hearing instead.

I have been to enough shows that I have had 10/10 experiences and 7/10 experiences. Other than a cancelled show I have never had less than a 7 out of 10 and that's often due to the asshats around me.

I'll be there in Worcester (which we pronounce 'Wista' or 'Woosta') next week and based on the setlists recently this has a chance to be a great night... I will report back with an objective recap.

I agree that I wouldn't mind seeing the covers go but as a musician for thirty years he must just love certain songs and want go play them perform them. I would

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom