Driving in Ireland - scary or no?

Mars_Rover

I'm an American planning a trip to northwest Ireland (mainly County Mayo). This will be my first time driving there, my 2 other visits were on coach tours. I know the roads are relatively narrow, and occasionally sheep-clogged. I've bought a road atlas and done some online research to familiarise myself with the road signs. Comments from other travellers who've driven in rural Ireland range from "a nerve-wracking and regrettable experience" to delighted comments about "the traffic-free roads and the uncompetitive, easy driving style of Irish motorists." What's the truth?! Somewhere in the middle I imagine. Rick Steves (a noted travel expert/tv presenter) recommends getting a learner's "L" sticker to put in the back window so the other drivers won't give you a hard time for going too slow. :lbf:

I know we have some Irish folks on these forums and I wonder if you'd be so kind as to enlighten me as to what I should expect. Thank you!

go as slow as you like, its your holiday and been 2 mins late wont harm no one - i went to ireland on a vespa scooter rally and made every one go at my pace but no one seemed to mind.

Oh lordy no!

When I first started seriously going to Ireland about 20 years ago, things were much worse than they are now. I remember driving from Dublin to Caherciveen, and getting lost so many times. The road system has benefitted from a huge overhaul, mainly due to joint European projects, and they are now as good as anywhere in Europe. There is a lack of motorways once you get away from Dublin, but it doesn't hinder progress. The roads up in Mayo are excellent, especially Foxford to Castlebar and Westport. In fact, you'll have no problems at all. :thumb:

Peter

Thank you, gentlemen! Westport is one of the places I'm going to, my great-great grandfather James was from there.

I had kind of a bad experience driving in England, in the Salisbury area -- kept getting lost (don't trust Google maps, people!) and other drivers seemed impatient, which I don't blame them at all.

Last edited:
buy a tom tom european sat nav as soon as you land, they are 99 per cent reliable let the sattelitte take the strain , also they are only bout £100 a giveaway really for the peice of mind, take your time enjoy.

Not scary! If I can manage it, anyone can. Although I did fail my test, so maybe I'm just a little over-confident. :blushing: Westport is lovely, enjoy. :)

That would be very stylish :) I like speedfreak's scooter idea too, going as slow as I please. But I'd have to pack very light.

Oh lordy no!

When I first started seriously going to Ireland about 20 years ago, things were much worse than they are now. I remember driving from Dublin to Caherciveen, and getting lost so many times. The road system has benefitted from a huge overhaul, mainly due to joint European projects, and they are now as good as anywhere in Europe. There is a lack of motorways once you get away from Dublin, but it doesn't hinder progress. The roads up in Mayo are excellent, especially Foxford to Castlebar and Westport. In fact, you'll have no problems at all. :thumb:

Peter

nice avatar ;)

Oh Lordy, no! The Devil's elbow!:eek:

Kidding. In Connemara though, don't ever turn left, or you'll end up nowhere.

Westport House is lerverly.:love: (Nice gay guide as well! :))

(Tip: if you take a tour of the house and the guide asks you to guess what the funny object in one of the rooms is for 5 euros, say it's a page-turner and you'll be able to buy yourself a pint.:thumb: although he prob stopped doing that now...:straightface:)

Last edited:
Driving in England was a hair raising experience for me, so from what I hear, Ireland would do me in.

Good luck to you, you brave thing.

The discussion around the table in the Hostel I am staying in was about how scary driving here is...but I think you will be ok. The roads are all well laid out and seem easy to follow. There are a few narrow ones but like others have said go slow on those.

Westport House is lerverly.:love: (Nice gay guide as well! :))

(Tip: if you take a tour of the house and the guide asks you to guess what the funny object in one of the rooms is for 5 euros, say it's a page-turner and you'll be able to buy yourself a pint.:thumb: although he prob stopped doing that now...:straightface:)

Hello Barking! I'm definitely planning on a visit to Westport House because of a family connection: the stones for the building were taken from my ancestors' castle, which was about 3 miles west. My clan lost the Battle of Ardnaree in the 16th century, and our lands were given to English settlers. I want to see the castle ruins if (1) there is anything left, and (2) I can find them. A web page, I don't know how reliable, says "the stone walls and moat are overgrown and a lone pillar of stone stands sentinel."

No.

Mayo is very quiet and the new roads make getting around a doddle. We've only ever had problems in Dublin, with the one way system.

Around Westport is really nice. I have family all around that area.

Driving anywhere for me is a nightmare.I am a nightmare behind the wheel.Impatient,no sense of direction.Always get V signs from horrible men in white vans.So Ireland would be out.

Hello Barking! I'm definitely planning on a visit to Westport House because of a family connection: the stones for the building were taken from my ancestors' castle, which was about 3 miles west. My clan lost the Battle of Ardnaree in the 16th century, and our lands were given to English settlers. I want to see the castle ruins if (1) there is anything left, and (2) I can find them. A web page, I don't know how reliable, says "the stone walls and moat are overgrown and a lone pillar of stone stands sentinel."

Hey cool!:) Don't know about your ancestors' castle but I think the young guy that guided said to me he was a Browne descendant, so you two can have a sword fight or something:thumb: "You stole my stones! En gaaarde!".
If you're looking for any old excuse to start a fight, well, I've just seen that they write on their website that General Humbert invaded Ireland. Good thing I wasn't drinking anything or I would have ruined my laptop. :squiffy: I feel personally offended now...(As, well of course, I personally wouldn't have put it exactly like that...:rolleyes:...)

Ha, History... :lbf:
Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom