Don't Plagiarise Or Take On Loan

I am rereading Saint Morrissey by Mark Simpson. In the book he points out a few instances of where Morrissey has lifted or slightly rearranged lines from other musicians, writers, films, whatever medium. I was just wondering if anybody online had ever done some sort of comprehensive examination of this topic, and documented what they had found and where all the lines had come from. Sure that somebody out there in the Smiths/Morrissey community must have done that by now - if not, somebody should, because it would be an interesting map of the inside of the singer's head - and I would be quite interested to read up on the subject. So thanks in advance in you can point me in the direction of any such site or page.

Simon Goddard's Mozipedia has most of them. Some are missed, like Joni Mitchell's Silky Veils Of Ardor being lifted wholesale for Seasick Yet Still Docked, but most are in there

I am rereading Saint Morrissey by Mark Simpson. In the book he points out a few instances of where Morrissey has lifted or slightly rearranged lines from other musicians, writers, films, whatever medium. I was just wondering if anybody online had ever done some sort of comprehensive examination of this topic, and documented what they had found and where all the lines had come from. Sure that somebody out there in the Smiths/Morrissey community must have done that by now - if not, somebody should, because it would be an interesting map of the inside of the singer's head - and I would be quite interested to read up on the subject. So thanks in advance in you can point me in the direction of any such site or page.

Goddard probably referred to this guide, which some of us have used for years - worth a good sift:
Regards,
FWD.

One more thing, you can buy a copy of Elizabeth Smart's By Grand Central Station I Sat Down And Wept and literally tick off all the references. The most obvious is Well I Wonder, which is a distillation of that work.

Back
Top Bottom