Does the Mexican-American Community Still Love Morrissey, Despite Everything? - Pitchfork

Does the Mexican-American Community Still Love Morrissey, Despite Everything? - Pitchfork
by Ludwig Hurtado

Excerpt:

This past weekend, thousands of Latinx folks gathered at Queen Mary Park in Long Beach, California, for the second annual Tropicália Music and Taco Festival. Likened to a Latinx Coachella by some attendees, Tropicália was put on this year by that California mega-fest’s own promoter, Goldenvoice, but did not abandon its original spirit. The lineup featured cumbia legends like Los Ángeles Azules and La Sonora Dinamita right alongside newly beloved bilingual favorites Chicano Batman, Kali Uchis, and Cardi B (who was replaced by SZA at the last minute, due to illness). Peppered in were indie-rock darlings like Mac DeMarco, Toro y Moi, and Mazzy Star.

And then there was Morrissey.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless, of course, we are talking about space invaders:

PlasticGenuineFawn-small.gif

I was!

That's a generalisation. I go to his concerts when he plays in my home country. I don't fly to see Moz concerts, or any concerts for that matter. I'm very aware of most public comments Moz makes and I often don't agree but that doesn't stop me wanting to hear him sing or buy his new records.
Only a Sith thinks in absolutes, Darth Skinny.

Well said.

The truth of it is I quite like reading you and others go at it over issues surrounding "nationalism". The idea of what was once being lost is one I can understand, but times change.

Most often not in the ways we want or ever expected, but to hold onto past ideals is a pointless exercise in my opinion. Like standing at the shoreline forbidding the waves to crash. I guess if it makes one feel better then to each their own.

As an American of immigrant origins, I appreciate the differences in culture that is available here. America, for the most part, and politics aside, speaking just from a human level we as a people operate under a "there is always room at the table for one more" philosophy. I do anyway.

I know that it is far more complicated than this, and that my contribution to the topic of the current political climate would carry the same weight as asking Brittney Spears about her thoughts on intergalactic space travel. So I remain a silent observer, but an interested one.

Fek reckon thick c*** wacker tossy. Do you lazy foreigners a million miles away from Moz Angeles have anything better to do than talk about and analyze Mexicans that live in LA? Don't you people work? Do you see Mexicans from Moz Angeles on So-Low or even anyone from Moz Angeles here?? It's because we don't give a shit what you think and don't need to fantasize we see Morrissey getting a tan on Redondo Beach, at the Calabasas Costco, or at 4 Morrissey concerts in two weeks. Go home!!! Have you ever been to concert in California to see Morrissey. Half the people are as white as someone from Hogwartsshire, uk. I just come here because I feel a need to defend the California Son's birth country and city all the time.

Last edited:
The truth of it is I quite like reading you and others go at it over issues surrounding "nationalism". The idea of what was once being lost is one I can understand, but times change.

Most often not in the ways we want or ever expected, but to hold onto past ideals is a pointless exercise in my opinion. Like standing at the shoreline forbidding the waves to crash. I guess if it makes one feel better then to each their own.

As an American of immigrant origins, I appreciate the differences in culture that is available here. America, for the most part, and politics aside, speaking just from a human level we as a people operate under a "there is always room at the table for one more" philosophy. I do anyway.

I know that it is far more complicated than this, and that my contribution to the topic of the current political climate would carry the same weight as asking Brittney Spears about her thoughts on intergalactic space travel. So I remain a silent observer, but an interested one.
In Britain sensible immigration has never been a problem. But post '97 when Tony Blair stepped up with his Tory-in-Lefties-clothing-government the floodgates really did open. England is a small country and its capital city now contains a white minority and virtually no working class people at all. This happened extremely fast.

Is this a good thing?

It's interesting that many of the people who claim it is a good thing (or say it doesn't matter because we're all one human race etc) are moneyed middle class liberals. The entry en masse of poor migrants is in fact financially beneficial to these people. It ensures that working class wages are kept low which is good for when they hire nannies and cleaners for example. Low wages keeps profits high in their companies or the companies they own shares in. Migrants also pose no competition in the middle class job market - which is a nepotistic/networked class prejudiced closed shop (just how they like it).

If for example the government suddenly, compulsorily, opened up the media/arts industry to working class people or migrants, then the liberals who have this sector to themselves would be in a hysterical uproar.

But this is unlikely to happen as they enjoy the ecomonical/financial status quo exactly as it is thank you very much i.e lots of migrants pouring in for cheap labour - not for their jobs or the stretched services, health, schools etc. that they can afford to pay for themselves. And the changing face of London neighbourhoods from white/mixed working class to largely third world immigrants? Who cares, the middle class have their own moneyed apartheid neighbourhoods where they can sit in their peaceful homes tweeting about inclusion and empathy - which I'm sure makes them feel very good but has no basis in reality

Last edited:
People here need to stop caring about the clickbaitosphere.
Why?
Guess how many responses this hitpiece got on twitter, through people posting the pitchfork link and/or commenting on this story.

And thats in 4 days.

Your average pitchfork reader doesnt care about Morrissey and/or clickbait shit written about him.

Next time you link to one of these pieces, use an archive.is link, so that the source of this doesn't get any ad revenue.
That's how you kill clickbait.

Didums. Take a deep breath and try not to get personally upset by individuals in here as we don't know them personally. It's never acceptable to hurl vicious comments against forum members. Uncle skinny makes good points.
This is hilarious! Unless you were being sarcastic. In that case it may be even funnier.

You've simply reiterated my point. Nobody likes invaders.

Yet it's a hate crime to admit that these days.

A racist hate crime.

And you don't sound too kind or loving yourself.

Of course nobody likes invaders. The point is who are the true invaders. In the case of the migrant caravan which happens in America (the continent) those so called "migrants" are in fact the true american people. After all, they just want to live the "American" dream in the continent of their ancestors. They don't want to change the culture or subvert the law, they just want to be part of it, they desire to be integrated. They just want to be "we the people" too.

Of course nobody likes invaders. The point is who are the true invaders. In the case of the migrant caravan which happens in America (the continent) those so called "migrants" are in fact the true american people. After all, they just want to live the "American" dream in the continent of their ancestors. They don't want to change the culture or subvert the law, they just want to be part of it, they desire to be integrated. They just want to be "we the people" too.

That's pretty much the opposite of what Reel is saying. That would be the equivalent of the people of the UK saying we're a country of immigrants and so on. Which is what the US is and certainly much of South America. Reel is reeling against the UK becoming that. He/she wants the UK to be native. Reel wants the invaders out, or at least not in. I know you want to find an allegience but there isn't one.

I think we all, and Morrissey most definitely, supports the migrant caravan and would welcome them to the US.
That’s a completely different situation that the migrant situation in Europe though.

The US migrant caravan is a Soros-sponsored sham.

Every third worlder on earth would prefer to live in the first world. That's perfectly natural. I'd fight to get here myself if I lived in an African shithole. But if you import the third world en masse, the first simply adopts the third's social problems - unless of course you can escape to a rich area, which is what the hypocritical Guardian-reading caravan-supporting liberals do.

For example, London at present is suffering an unprecedented amount of black on black knife killings. The kids undertaking this behavior are doing it as a sport. The different gangs even have league tables to compare their knifing progress. This is imported third world behavior. And due to sensitive race relations, nothing is being done about it and the problem will just get worse and worse. Encouraging third worlders to come and live in crime ridden estates and paying them to produce lots of alienated angry children from lots of different absent fathers is not a sensible idea.

All of the kids involved are from families that came here for a better way of life. For the vast majority this doesn't happen. Maybe in America immigration might work better because it's a very nationalistic country and when you move there you become 'American'. You don't become English when you move to England because nationalism is frowned upon by the government/media (same thing) and to stand up with a St George's flag to say English and proud is virtually a hate crime.

Last edited:
In Britain sensible immigration has never been a problem. But post '97 when Tony Blair stepped up with his Tory-in-Lefties-clothing-government the floodgates really did open. England is a small country and it's capital city now contains a white minority and virtually no working class people at all. This happened extremely fast.

Is this a good thing?

It's interesting that many of the people who claim it is a good thing (or say it doesn't matter because we're all one human race etc) are moneyed middle class liberals. The entry en masse of poor migrants is in fact financially beneficial to these people. It ensures that working class wages are kept low which is good for when they hire nannies and cleaners for example. Low wages keeps profits high in their companies or the companies they own shares in. Migrants also pose no competition in the middle class job market - which is a nepotistic/networked class prejudiced closed shop (just how they like it).

If for example the government suddenly, compulsorily, opened up the media/arts industry to working class people or migrants, then the liberals who have this sector to themselves would be in a hysterical uproar.

But this is unlikely to happen as they enjoy the ecomonical/financial status quo exactly as it is thank you very much i.e lots of migrants pouring in for cheap labour - not for their jobs or the stretched services, health, schools etc. that they can afford to pay for themselves. And the changing face of London neighbourhoods from white/mixed working class to largely third world immigrants? Who cares, they have their own moneyed apartheid neighbourhoods where they can sit in their peaceful homes tweeting about inclusion and empathy - which I'm sure makes them feel very good but has no basis in reality

Out of interest, how did you do at school and what have you done since leaving school?

but it's ok to hurl vicious comments against the guy the website is named after? if skinny et al log on here every day to vent their bile against Moz - they should expect some abuse back. sauce for the goose. to censor criticism is just plain fascism. SKINNY IS A FASCIST.
I really don't get why you and so many get so triggered by Skinny - you can block him. Plenty of differing opinions on here about all sorts it would be dull if we all thought the same way. A fascist is someone who has excessive or extreme pride in their country and believes no dissent or difference of opinions are allowed.

I really don't get why you and so many get so triggered by Skinny - you can block him. Plenty of differing opinions on here about all sorts it would be dull if we all thought the same way. A fascist is someone who has excessive or extreme pride in their country and believes no dissent or difference of opinions are allowed.
Talk to any Greek or Jamaican for example and they have extreme pride in their countries - are they fascists?

You're right about differing opinions though. Makes the world (and this site) more interesting

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom